Journey of the Vanguard (WIP) - Updated 6/27/16

Quick thoughts on NPCs before I turn in for the night…

Ford: I feel like I could get really fond of this guy. His fighting style is awesome…can I learn that?? He’s already starting to feel like family to my character, and I hope he sticks around.

Commander Grace: I want to be her! I’m excited to learn more about her.

Tayana: I know we haven’t got to see her for very long, but I’m pretty sure she’s going to be my favorite, and I can’t wait to see her again. Here’s hoping I can date her as a nonbinary or female character!!!

Although…on that note…are Tayana and Perry supposed to be our age? From the original description of him, I somehow got the impression that Perry was like, our parents’ age but I feel like that’s not supposed to be the case :smile:

Overall, I’m excited to see more!!!

1 Like

we haven’t been told much about Perry yet but if i had to guess i’d say he was an upperclassmen maybe a senior

I’m not sure what character I want to romance yet,though the Commander seems interesting. BTW,what’s your characters class,personality, and did he want to be a Vanguard? I’m curious as to what other people chose.
In my case,my MC didn’t really know what she wanted to be,however something about sneaking up on people appealed to her. Maybe it was the fact that she’s not much of a talker,so she’d prefer to knock out her opponents out as fast as she can.:grin:
When her family died,she was sad yes,but something else grew inside her:anger. She swore to herself that she wouldn’t rest until she brought justice upon those who were responsible. She is determined to reach this goal and when she does find who’s responsible,well… Heaven,Hell,and Earth combined will not help them.

2 Likes

Futurist, I believe as for his personality that mountain sure hasn’t made him any more social, but like I said I think the real trouble he has with the Academy is the mentor requirement, otherwise it seems nice enough.
As for romance it’s a bit too soon to tell but at this stage my guy likes both Anthony and Marty.

@cabinpersephone Sadly, Ford’s style is all his own. As for Tayana, she’s 17, having finished her first year at the Academy just last year. Perry is 17 as well, but did not come from the Academy. I’ll try to take another look at his description and see if I can’t make him seem a bit younger than first impressions are suggesting. Also, thanks for flagging the bugs and typos! Soon as I can get to an actual computer, I’ll tale care of those.

@InfiniteDreamer I had a feeling there would be PCs who felt that way coming out of the survivor chapter. Looking forward to seeing how they react to the upcoming adventures.

On the romance fromt, it’s still probably far to early to know anything for sure, but right now it looks like people will be satisfied with their options.

It’s pretty cool as an author to see which NPCs immediately click with readers. It lets me know what works an conversely flags what I need to flesh out.

Like Perry.

I very highly doubt you will get to romance the commander for Christ sake in this WIP you are 15 years old shes (most likely) in her thirties or forties so unless you like cougars (milfs that date younger guys) then i very highly doubt she will be a romance option

I think @InfiniteDreamer just meant that the Commander was an interesting character (response to her character has been a pleasant surprise), not that they wanted to romace her.

I think. Otherwise I will confirm Commander Grace will not be an RO due to age difference and her heart belonging to another.

That was really enjoyable. I’m looking forward to reading more (’:

Found some typos:

Your father capitalizes, throwing his sheild. - shield

Hesitantly, you apprach your father’s shield. - approach

Kneeling down, you You grab the shield with two hands and pull it free.

Asyou lay on your back, panting, the light of the snake’s skin flickers and dies.

There’s too strong a current of people running into the car for Ford to shove his way out, but that does seem to be his plan any. - Any what? This sentence sounds somewhat incomplete.

When the Vanguard first moved here six hundred years ago, the castle was half the size it is now, and the Vanguard we the only ones living on the island. - were

2 Likes

i like the mentor requirement please keep it.

also i notice alot of people want to leave the academy but the academy trained your mother, your father, your uncle they also trained ford and probably the commander too

so you cant tell me what the academy is doing is wrong when they have created so many awesome and courageous vanguards.

my Character will be staying in the academy will he be an apt student… probably not will he love fighting more than he probably should… definitely but thats just the way the world (me) created him

@darren_muir Don’t worry, the mentoring system in place at the Academy isn’t going anywhere (if only so I can bolt it onto my “No really, this is different from RWBY” shield :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:). Those characters who don’t feel like putting up with the Vanguard’s rules will have the Rebel/Street option (Once it gets written, anyway). That said, Tayana certainly has her reasons for not sticking around, and I could see others feeling similarly.

After having received a decent number of typo notices, fixing them, and then coding up new reputation stats, I was going to push out a quick hotfix, but the trailer park wifi I find myself stuck with doesn’t seem capable of handling the upload. Thus, the typos and bugs reported have been added to the “Known bugs” section and will be dealt with by the 4th of July.

Edit: Or the wifi will magically fix itself inside an hour allowing me to send out the fixes. Huh. Oh well. Gift horses and mouths.

3 Likes

For my character the main reason he wants to leave at the moment would be because he doesn’t want to get another mentor, nobody can replace his deceased family members in that role.

Like I said the academy seems like a decent place, except for that mentor requirement and my mc really doesn’t want one in his life at this point. Therefore the academy is not for him.

To put it very shortly, assigning my character a “mentor”, that’s what they are doing wrong.

What are talking about? I meant I found her interesting as a character only,not a romantic interest. Sorry I didn’t clarify that earlier.

I really like this so far. The story is interesting, and I enjoy the choices with all the classes. The characters introduced so far seem compelling and fun, and I like them all.

Also, I noticed that the type of aura you choose seems to affect the relationship stats with the characters. Why does Tayana react so angrily to a MC with the Aura of Ancients?

2 Likes

As the leader and self-appointed protector of her band of renegades, Tayana is always on the lookout for anything dangerous. She also hates the unknown, and so being confronted by a person who at once feels powerful and mysterious ticks both of those boxes. She doesn’t trust that aura.

Will that come up directly while interacting with the characters?

I mean, will people that don’t like MC’s aura tell them or something or will it only influence the relationships through decreasing/increasing the stats?

Right now, all it affects is stats, but the plan is to absolutely have it come up directly, either with characters directly referencing aura “When we first met, your aura threw me off,” or by just talking about how they feel, “Sorry. You still give me the creeps sometimes.”

As to when these moments will come up, that totally depends on the aura and the character. Likely somewhat early in interactions though, as someone’s aura is much more of a first impression than a be all, end all guide to who they are, and it’s not hard to just “get used to” someone’s aura if you spend enough time with them.

RO’s will definitely comment about how your aura makes them feel, should the two of you ever end up getting mushy and talking about your feelings with them.

3 Likes

so your telling me your character is basically a god that doesnt need to be taught anything because he already knows everything i dont think so

That’s not what I’m saying, it’s more that my character doesn’t want anybody in their lives who is most likely going to try to act as some sort of surrogate parent. He’d be happy enough to learn just not to have somebody attempt to replace his family in the paternal, maternal or avuncular roles, that he will not stand for.
He does want to learn it’s just the mentor-student relationship he balks at, particularly if, like I said, that mentor is also going to become his legal guardian in the absence of any surviving family members.

Plus he has been effectively independent and on his own for many months now and while he didn’t really enjoy the hardship or the solitude some part of him did like being his own master, which doesn’t make him too keen on having some sort of unfamiliar “mentor” figure becoming his (legal)guardian now that he has no family left anymore.

Unless, @PhoenixAgent003 does the Vanguard mentor become our legal guardian too if we’re a minor with no family and staying at the academy or does the legal system of this world work differently in that regard?

Your character as an interesting view and expectations on the meaning of the word “mentor”…