Inline font/style changes?

Would it be possible to have different fonts or styles of text? Not globally, but for certain lines. Say, if I want monospace text to represent chat messages, or different colored text to represent different characters’ dialogue?

I’ve never seen this before so I’m guessing it’s not possible in choicescript?

Within the confines of code, pretty much anything is possible. To accomplish what you’re asking about would require you to directly alter–expand in this case–the “style” info programmed into the basis of choice script.

I don’t know what goes into that sort of thing with any specifics, but it should be reasonably possible.

2 Likes

Do you mean edit the choicescript code itself? Or using *script? Because I don’t really see how to do this using *script, as there aren’t html tags for individual chunks of text (maybe with like… convoluted hacks).

I actually do have a fork of the CS repo on github, but it makes publishing via hosted games or even dashingdon not really possible. At that point I’m not sure if there’s any reason to use CS over Twine or another open source engine. Or probably I’ll just abandon this idea.

but this means no homestuck fangames in choicescript :frowning:

1 Like

Publishing through the house with an edited css is an a ok, although you might want to discuss it with CoG (preferably Dan) if you intend to do it with modified CS. On the other hand, it’s possible to host a game compiled by modded CS on dashingdon: just use the “upload as HTML” option when uploading.

But yes, right now, no way to apply separate font-styles, although I imagine it should be easy to create a modded CS that accommodates it.

3 Likes

The above makes it sound like modified CSS is not OK.
Best we don’t try to make any such statements (for or against) and just direct people to CoG staff/support.

There’s always going to be differences and potential exceptions, but it’s not the community’s place to advise on such.

1 Like

The best I can suggest is by using text generators.

𝕎𝕖 𝕔𝕒𝕟 𝕕𝕠 𝕥𝕙𝕚𝕤.

… օʀ ȶɦɨֆ.

… 𝖊𝖛𝖊𝖓 𝖙𝖍𝖎𝖘, 𝖆𝖓𝖉 𝖎𝖙 𝖜𝖎𝖑𝖑 𝖘𝖙𝖎𝖑𝖑 𝖜𝖔𝖗𝖐 𝖎𝖓 𝖈𝖍𝖔𝖎𝖈𝖊𝖘𝖈𝖗𝖎𝖕𝖙.

:smiley_cat:𝐸𝓂𝑜𝒿𝒾𝓈 𝒶𝓁𝓈𝑜 𝓌𝑜𝓇𝓀!:smiley_cat:

Here’s a dashingdon link to test for text-to-speech.

6 Likes

Interesting. Did you just copy and past the text from the text generators straight into the CSIDE app?

Yes, I did. I haven’t tried it on CSIDE but it should still work since it still reads it as a normal text.

1 Like

Does that work OK with screen readers?

That, I can’t say for certain.

EDIT: I tested it out on mobile and it works. Here’s a dashingdon link.

4 Likes

Ooh. Cool! Thanks for testing it out!

This is pretty cool. These seem to be mathematical symbols in unicode.

This still doesn’t allow for text with different colors though, which I guess would require hacking choicescript…

Just a heads up, sometimes, texts with a different font shows up as boxes in some devices (including my phone, lol).

Oh, this also happens with emojis not supported by that particular device. The emoji unicode in their phones is probably outdated.

3 Likes

this looks interesting, Thanks!