Individual apps on iOS

I have a question wasn’t sure where to put it. But whatever happend to having indivual apps on ios devices? Why do we have to use the ominibus app also why is it only android has that?

1 Like

Here’s some information about why that’s the case. The short answer is that Apple made it a requirement back in 2018. (Note: linked post is from a long time ago - now, there are omnibus apps on other platforms too, and purchase transfers can be done.)

4 Likes

All these years later, and I am still sad about never getting a standalone iOS release, especially for Parenting Simulator. However, one great thing about the omnibus we could not have foreseen at the time is that the Google standalone marketplace has been basically nuked into oblivion by their reorg of it, and if it wasn’t for the omnibus over there we’d be in rough shape. Plus, that it shields from bad reviews somewhat. I’m still not super into omnibus life (as predicted, it has made guiding readers to stories reallllly awkward and shady-sounding), but if I don’t love it, I acknowledge we definitely need it, and I’m glad the company has done such a fine job keeping it humming and fleshing it out over the years.

4 Likes

If anyone desperately misses the heyday of individual apps, you can get close-ish to the old standalone experience by visiting the game on the website in Safari then using the Add to Home Screen button. (See Detailed Instructions.)

Since the games are Progressive Web Apps, you can even play offline. You need to log in/restore purchases while online, of course.

Not as nice as the omnibus, but hey–individual apps. You might be able to hide the store badges with an ad blocking extension but I haven’t tried it.

The PWA thing works on other OSes/devices too.

4 Likes