Increasing indent not allowed?

So I’m coding my game and when I went back to test to see if it worked okay I kept getting the startup line 24: increasing indent not allowed expected 3 was 6 error? I’ve tried taking out the indent but it wound up giving me a new error and I’m not really sure how to fix it

That means there were 3 spaces too many in front of the start of line 24. Indents in choicescript usually go by tabs or 4 spaces nest after nest. If you’re using spaces to indent, backspace 3 times in front of line 24 and the code should run fine.

Can you post the code, here?
Make sure to use the Preformat </> tag when posting your code.

*choice
  #Papa!
	Strange it is to be called that you would be considered a father if you could have children right?
      #That is correct.
        *finish
      #That's correct but in your past people would've considered you to be a mama and a papa. But anyone who can saything like that is long gone
        *finish
      #This child is definitely wrong.
        *finish

like this? I know it doesn’t show but it’s indented correctly

You can use the Ctrl+Shift+C to Preformat the code, or use the </> icon in your comment toolbar.

Hmm, so I copied your code to my notepad++, I noticed that you used tab in place of space for the Strange it is to be called that you would be considered a father if you could have children right? line.

Maybe you got your indentation mixed? Choicescript doesn’t allow tabs and spaces mixed for the indentation.

i tried doing spaces and i wound up getting a new error which is start up line: expected option starting with #

On the first, the very first section of your startup.txt, for the *scene_list command, do you use space or tab to indent your scenes?

i think it might be indented, but it’s super late at night where i am so i’m gonna check tomorrow and get back to ya’ll

ok so i copy pasted from the tutorial template they gave us so i guess it is indented?

Try this:

*choice
   #Papa
      Strange it is to be called that you would be considered a father if you could have children right?
      *choice
         #That is correct.
            *set gender "man"
            *goto next
         #That's correct but in your past people would've considered you to be a mama and a papa. But anyone who can saything like that is long gone
            *set gender "trans man"
            *goto next
         #This child is definitely wrong.
            etc

Dunno what you want to do with the last option, though. Return to the choice?

Seriously, people, you ALL missed that the last three options are a whole new choice-body? D=

1 Like

i tried and i got the tabs and spaces appear on the same line error,

hhhhh I just wanna make my game sob why do you have to be so difficult with me choice script!

I used only spaces, no tabs. adjust it to your needs.

You forgot a *choice command and you’ve mixed up double indents with tabs. You also forgot to make finish a command rather than just a word. It should look like this instead:

*choice
  #Papa!
    *choice
      #That is correct.
        *finish
(etc)

EDIT: The problem with using any type of coding language isn’t that it doesn’t do what you tell it to, but that it ALWAYS does EXACTLY what you tell it to, whether or not it makes sense. Unlike English where you can be a bit vague to convey complex meaning through context, the poor compiler cannot guess what you mean. You have to treat it like a child that can’t do anything for itself. You have to be precise.

still getting the error ugh, at this rate it might be better to just start over from scratch

note:
You don’t need a *finish to end a choice.
*finish ends the scene, *ending ends the game.
*goto (label) ends a choice (unless it’s a fake_choice)

Search Choicescript Interactive Tutorial on google and follow the whole thing. You’ll pick it up quick.

Perhaps you can consider using CSIDE to code? The indentation is done for you automatically, so it might help eliminate the problem!

yeah i’m probably gonna do that and see if it works

even with cside i’m still getting a tabs and spaces appear in the same line error >:/