*if game_has_been_finished = true

Is there a variable check you can perform to see if someone’s finished the story before?

Example
*choice
....#Hear critical world rules information.
....*if game_has_been_finished = true #Do something else (you already know the world rules).
  • Of course, this *command would require HG and COG packaged games to recognise whether a player has completed the game, even if that can’t be replicated in a WIP.

• I’d be equally happy with a command that can tell if a player has selected that choice in a previous, unfinished, iteration of the game.

• I’m not hugely happy with breaking the fourth wall on this and writing next to the choices ‘I already know the world rules’

(Sorry if there’s a topic on this already - I couldn’t come up with the right search terms to find it)

2 Likes

Just have the player earn an achievement for completing the game, then use the check achievements command to see if that particular one has been earned.

9 Likes

That’s very helpful, thanks. That also means I can activate it for people who didn’t finish before they decided to read through again.
:trophy:

3 Likes

Just for a note, the command is

*check_achievements

and this, in turn, will create a variable called

choice_achieved_<<achievement codename>>
2 Likes

That’s what I did in XoR so that anyone who has reached the end of the game won’t get the Author’s Note at the beginning again.

3 Likes