"Hunter: The Reckoning — The Beast of Glenkildove" Demo Available Now!

Originally published at: “Hunter: The Reckoning — The Beast of Glenkildove” Demo Available Now! - Choice of Games LLC

We’re super excited for the release of Hunter: The Reckoning — The Beast of Glenkildove on December 19th!

Today, for the first time, you can try the free demo on Steam! (Don’t forget to add us to your Steam wishlist! The more wishlists we get, the better the game will do on Steam on release day.)

Full moon. Cold night. Dark shadow. Warm gun. The Beast of Glenkildove has stalked Ireland for centuries. Now, you must hunt it.

Hunter: The Reckoning — The Beast of Glenkildove is an interactive novel by William Brown, set in the World of Darkness. It’s entirely text-based, without graphics or sound effects, and fueled by the vast, unstoppable power of your imagination.

Eight years ago, when you were eighteen, the Beast of Glenkildove killed one of your closest friends. You’ve never returned to Ireland since that day.

It’s difficult to remember what happened. As you’ll soon learn, the human mind blots out the traumatic memories of facing a werewolf.

Now, you must stalk that werewolf across the shadowed glens and fogbound mountains of Ireland, hunting a shapeshifting killing machine with your friends, your wits, and a shotgun.

But you and your friends are not alone. You have entered a world of Hunters, humans who dare to challenge the dominion of the monsters who rule over them. Can you trust the fanatics of the Society of Leopold, the scholars and savants of the Arcanum, the ruthless Duffy crime family, or the enigmatic biotech company Fada?

Can you even trust your oldest friends?

Redemption for some. Retribution for others. A reckoning for all.

• Play as male, female, or nonbinary; befriend or romance humans and supernaturals of any gender
• Kill, study, capture, document or negotiate with the creatures you hunt
• Craft your own traps, gear, and weapons to take the Hunt to the enemy
• Find camaraderie and romance with the only people in the world that you can trust to fight alongside you
• Adopt and train your own wolfhound to assist you in the Hunt
• Build and maintain your own safehouse at the Wolf’s Head Inn in the Wicklow Mountains

Become the thing that even nightmares fear.

44 Likes

Is there a chance that the demo could be released for mobile or do I have to wait until it’s close for release? I don’t have a PC so I can’t download it off of Steam

Edit: Never mind, found it.

1 Like

Let’s go! Cliffhanger: Challenger of Tomorrow and The Book of Hungry Names are my two favorite IFs, so I’m incredibly hyped for a World of Darkness game by William Brown :grin:

3 Likes

So excited for this!

don’t think the stat menu should like this, but maybe I am missing something.

7 Likes

The stat screen looks unfinished (I’m guessing it’s meant to display attributes and skills like in all other WoD games). And I know it’s just a demo but I hope the final version implements storyteller mode

7 Likes

I haven’t played any of the WoD choice script games yet and look forward to trying them out.

But what is storyteller mode? Is it a state of play which eliminates failing stat checks?

This sounds like a great option as I know many players are split on relying on stats for progression.

4 Likes

Actually, it’s a state of play that tells you which stats are going to be tested, emulating the tabletop game experience. I personally find it necessary as the presentation of the challenges can be very ambiguous depending on the author

11 Likes

there is proper naming for stats in the startup file, so I am guessing the stats txt got gutted for some reason.

If it’s gonna help, that’s how stats supposed to look, but, for some reason, it’s just 1s and 0s. Very weird, my best guess is that some older versions were uploaded, or something along these lines.
Edit: Okay, I see the problem, the “technology” stat has a name for it that is “Science & Technology” but everything else is just nothing. The Fix would be just making other stats look like technology in the code, dunno why it was left like that.

6 Likes

I don’t know about coding Choice script but I hope they release a fix

1 Like

Thanks for pointing out the issue with the stats. We’re aware of it. What we released today is a demo—the game isn’t finished yet :wink: —and we’ll update the file for the stats soon.

9 Likes

Yes, It would be helpful if a storyteller/gamemaster mode was added. It would also be helpful if they added a codex feature to explain the stats and lore surrounding the setting as well as I don’t play the tabletop games, but I enjoy the interactive books published here.

It’s gonna be incredibly odd if the final product of “Hunter: The Reckoning — The Beast of Glenkildove” is published without any codex or storyteller features since every other World of Darkness game published by COG has one or both of the features.

9 Likes

Overall, I really enjoyed this one! the branching for your character actually goes fairly deep and there are lots of choices. It doesn’t happen a lot, but, all the side characters were also an enjoyable read, they felt very real. The story flows naturally, like a good thriller, if that makes sense, which I guess is what author was going for.

Regardless of that, can’t wait to read more of this, that cliffhanger (ha) was too much.

7 Likes

I wonder how far the Player will be able to descend into hunter paranoia and uh, poor mental well being. Going full joshua mathews on anyone unlucky enough to be a supernatural or tied to them in any way.

4 Likes

It’s fixed.

6 Likes

I’ve always thought in a world where hidden horrors were real, I’d be the character who makes everything worse out of my desire to simply know and learn about the horrors, and I love how this game gives me an option to go that route. I’m excited for the full game to see just how messy things can get! :smiling_imp:

1 Like

this demo is fantastic. wishlisted on steam and even added a reminder to my calendar. I thought December 19 was a typo and am absolutely gutted it’s not :sob: can’t wait to play the full thing!!

8 Likes

The demo was electric. Very much looking forward to this one

1 Like

Can you add an option to see what stats choices raise/lower/use? Playing a long game with no save function blind ain’t enjoyable.

Great demo. My only complaint is I can’t pre-order it yet. Looking forward to the full release.