How to manage multiple choices in a scene and where they go?

Hi folks. I know this is a very basic question, but I struggle with this kind of stuff and don’t learn well with online guides etc, I generally need printed stuff in front of me.

I’m trying to get the hang of this system, and below is my first attempt. The second option in each choice works fine, but the first one says “startup line 45: It is illegal to fall out of a *choice statement; you must *goto or *finish before the end of the indented block.”

So how do I manage this chain of choices and actions? How do I make the first option go somewhere, and for how long should I carry that on?

Also, I’m not sure - is the entire story set within startup.text or is it as literal as the scene stuff the guide goes on about - once I’m finished with this scene, I move to a new .txt file?

Apologies for the very noob nature of this question. :frowning:

You try and curl up into a tight ball as you lie on the ground, but it doesn't stop the rain of blows into your chest and stomach. You feel the solid toe of the boot slam in to you time and again as you wrap your hands over your head to protect yourself.

*choice
	#Yell out for them to stop
		You gasp and take a deep breath in between the kicks and with the little air you get, you let out a loud yell, "Enough goddamnit! You've made your point!". You feel a moment's hesitation in the kicking before it swiftly resumes.*goto next
	#Tense your body and try to make one final leap to your feet to tackle your attacker
		You clench your eyes tight shut, grit your teeth and make every single part of your body tense up with a last burst of energy and adrenalin. As the foot pulls out from another successful kick to your chest, you slam your hands palm down on the ground and leap up to your feet.
		*choice
			#Ram your head forward into whoever's in front of you
				As you leap up, you dive forward with your head butting out in front of you, a crunch and scream suggesting you hit your mark. You feel your face get sprayed in something and taste a bitter, iron like taste on your lips. As you fight to keep from falling back down from the momentum, you open your eyes.
			#Grab the feet of the person in front of you as you get up and try to pull them out from under them
				On the way back up to standing, your hands lock around the ankles of your assailant and you use all your brute strength to pull the legs forward, heels first. You feel the weight and resistance immediately give as the figure to your front flails their arms out and goes crashing backwards onto the floor.
1 Like

Using the *choice command requires you to put either a *goto or *goto_scene or *finish or *ending inside every options you make. Here is an example:

*choice
  #First option.
    Text here.
    *goto Boy
  #Second option.
    Text here.
    *goto Boy

*label Boy
First and Second options will continue under this label.

But by using *fake_choice instead of *choice, it will not require you to put the *goto commands.

*fake_choice
  #First option.
    Text here.
  #Second option.
    Text here.

First and Second options will continue here. No label is required, since there are no *goto commands.

There is a link here in the forums to get you started with the basics :slight_smile: sorry i can’t pull it out for you, currently walking outside lol Good luck!

4 Likes