How to implement saving/loading

Okay, I am at a total loss here. How do I make it so saving/loading is possible? I read the
CJW post but I don’t understand it in the slightest. I tried putting in *sm_init but it said it had to be at the beginning? So I tried that and it didn’t work. Someone please dumb this down for me :joy:

Am I supposed to add code at the beginning/or end of chapters? Download a file? Lord, have mercy on me.

1 Like

All you have to do is on the very last line of your startup file (right after stat creation and before your actual game) is to include something like

*sm_init mygame | 3

It will not let your game run in cside but when uploaded to dashingdon it will work as long as you enable the pluggin in your settings. I recommend just commenting it out while you’re testing for bugs in CSIDE and then uncommenting when you’re ready to upload.

You can replace mygame with whatever you want and you can change the three to whatever number you want to increase the number of save slots.

I hope this helped :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Thank you, I think that worked! I thought I did that the first time, and for some reason it didn’t work? No idea what happened, but I’m just happy it worked. Thank you, peaches! :grin:

2 Likes

Okay, actually, it’s doing something odd. I just tried to load a save file and it started from the very beginning-
It remember the choices I’ve made regarding character customization though??

1 Like

That does sound odd. I know that sometimes save files can get corrupted if the save is from an older version of the game and you try to load it into a more updated version.

Otherwise, I’m not sure :joy:

2 Likes

Why must this cause me issues :sob: I just want to make something

1 Like

If you uploaded a new version of that scene, a save in the middle of the scene won’t work, because the line numbers are different. Did you edit the file with the character creation in it?

I figured it out actually, and forgot to say anything :joy:

It was like Peaches suggested, I edited the chapter file and when re-uploading to continue testing, it just saved the customization but started from the beginning since the save was technically “old”.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.