Save game, load game help for a total noob?

Tutorials on how to create ‘saves’ didn’t help me…I’m still way too clueless about it. :confused:

And when I try applying what was said (as a noob) nothing happens. No errors, but the saves/loads don’t work either.

So I either need:

1. an explanation fitting for a noob.

or 2. the exact code I need on *create (startup.txt), and what I need to do after asking the player if they need to save (alternatively, if I could add in a feature that just saves automatically - for now- that would be okay too.) etc…If you already have that inside your game, I hoped you could copy paste it for me? If that’s okay.

I would also want to make the load screen work…help? :frowning:

NOTE 2: On Dashington, it says at the bottom of the screen 'error:bad slot, has SMplugin been included? …and as dumb as I feel about it, I have no idea what SMplugin means lol…is it connected to saves, loads? XD Since it doesn’t seem to interfere with the game itself or stat screen, so I’m just guessing.

1 Like

At the start of the game:
*sm_init {gamename} | 3
*sm_init is the command. {gamename} obviously is the game’s name. 3 is the number of save slots. That’s literally it, except you have to enable the save slots in Dashingdon by editing the game’s details and ticking the box.
Example:
*sm_init mygame | 3

3 Likes

Oh, I had no idea I had to add something to make it work on dashington. o.o However, it also doen’t work when I preview from the folder but…that’s normal, I expect.

And that sounds different (and much simpler) from the wall of text I read…and didn’t fully understand. xD

I’m going to try this now, thank you! :smiley:

1 Like

It doesn’t work when you try it on your browser locally. It’ll probably say that command doesn’t exist. It works on Dashingdon though.

IT WORKED! :smiley:

Oh, wow, way too simple lol… facepalm Thank you!

1 Like

I couldn’t figure it out at first either. Though, you’ll have to improvise if you want to upload your game to Hosted Games… since it doesn’t support those kind of save slots. I personally make checkpoints.

@N1GHTMAR3 would this be the correct way to load a chapter? If i added:

*sm_init mygame | 2

at the begging of a chapter?

*choice
#New game
*goto_scene Startup
#Replay chapter
*goto sm_init mygame | 2

Without it adding stats you gathered throughout the chapter?

*sm_init is not a label and as such *goto wouldn’t work. Startup already loads on default to see the order of the scenes, so when starting a new game, you’ll have to make another scene for it or just make a label from which you may start the game.

*label mainmenu
*choice
 #New Game.
   *goto newgame
 #Replay Chapter 
   *goto chapterselection

*label newgame
Your adventures begin and bla bla bla.

*label chapterselection
*choice
 #Chapter 1
   *goto chapter
 #Chapter 2
   *goto chapter2
 #Main menu.
  *goto mainmenu
2 Likes

Loading and saving is already handled by the SMplugin, so you don’t need any additional commands besides the *sm_init.

And yep, keep in mind that this plugin is a mod. HG usually doesn’t accept mods without reasons (although save feature itself is a logical reason).

2 Likes

No additional commands are required, as you said, unless you decide to force a save.

1 Like

Thank you for the info! ^^

1 Like