How do you feel about having only one RO?

I am not much of a fan of having only one RO because each individual have their own preference. I am not saying that you should 10 ROs but I prefer having a choice.

And I am not a fan of gender locked IF since mostly play IF for immersion which majority of the video game industry lacks. I suppose I got tired of playing as a male MC ever since I played my first game.

11 Likes

Hey… it could be the other way around, like someone marry me for the money… and want to kill me to inherit my wealth … then i need to make accurate choice of not letting my wife kill me successfully , and at the same time gather enough proofs … in the end, a choice of whether arrest my wife, let her go , or let her know i knew what she was doing all along but willing to forgive her …:-):grin:

This all make great choice story :-):rofl:

I’m male and personally, I feel for those who don’t wanna play gender locked male games. Honestly there are so many (not only in cog/hs) already and people are just getting tired. It’s a different case however if your story calls for a male gender locked mc, if that’s how you made it and it’s meant to be that way. But if it won’t affect the story much and you have a choice, I probably wouldn’t.
As for the ro part, to me having one ro just seems…well I could do it (having one ro leaves room for a lot of development) but for others it probably wont be ideal. Having one romance option is sort of leaning more towards it being a book and less of an IF, where people are supposed, maybe supposed not the right word, to choose their own story and have multiple options as to their preference and choice in things. Then again this is your story, I really hope I’m not coming off as arrogant or rude. I just wanna let you know that today everyone’s a critic, and as @James_Marsh said if you have one RO there’s a chance someone will be stuck playing the whole game resenting them because they’re not their type or something like that. And although the whole one ro thing is cool and interesting it just doesn’t fit well.
Edit: But before I speak for others maybe it’s best if we see what majority of the forum thinks?

• It wouldn’t bother me, so I would play a game with only one ro
  • I would play a game with only one ro and enjoy it
  • I wouldn’t play a game with only one ro
  • If the game had only one ro I wouldn’t dismiss the whole game but I wouldn’t play for the romance
  • My opinion differs from these

0 voters

2 Likes

Actually That could work if you can choose between different types of wifes husbands that way is only a ro but you have a choose in HOW this ro behaves and is physically

But we shouldn’t choose how our RO behave right ? Since He/she wants to kill us , we need to choose how to avoid her assassination and whether to forgive him/her :-):stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Well, first, is the romance option male or no?

I don’t think RO is important as long as the plot is good and my choices matter :woman_shrugging:t2:. BUT, if I do only have 1 RO, I want the choice to break up with them because some of them can be really annoying and I have to stick with them throughout the story. But I think that it’s your story, and you control it all. The story is in your hands and whatever you think fits the story should be written and changed by you and nobody else (this does not include grammar and spelling, your device should control that sarcasm).

4 Likes

Well, it’s a bit more than “not my type”; I’m up for game romances with characters who are not personally my type. And I’d be fine with one romance option who is a main character you may or may not romance. But if I specifically don’t want to romance them as opposed to not wanting to do any romance this playthrough I probably don’t like them period and want them to go away

Not trying to single you out, this sentence is just a very good one. Because I wonder how much of this perspective will change in time. In the old days of choicegames when there wasn’t a vast library of them to choose from, every game had to appeal to or at least somewhat satisfy everybody. The poisoned maras, the knights of erics and the multiple choices. But times have changed!

There’s so many of these games being released every month now. Authors can and maybe even should start to specialize if they want to. If they want to write a romance that only romance-readers would be interested in, then they shouldn’t have to make the romance optional for readers who don’t like the RO. That’s a responsibility that’s on the reader for playing the demo before buying.

The result of this change is that we’re going to end up with better stories for those that those stories appeal to. It’ll feel more like a bookstore. I think this is naturally how choicegames will evolve as the medium gets larger and matures. Instead of trying to cater to a single, everybody audience, multiple audiences will spring up and develop together. It happened to movies, tv and videogames–I’m sure it’ll happen to interactive fiction as well!

20 Likes

Yeah, I mean absolutely. If the author is looking to appeal to one audience then boom, this whole game is perfect. But if they want their game to be more appealing to a larger audience then…

Totally agree with you always the author is sincere in the highlight and in the demo (not hinting that there wil be more options if don’t). However the title of the thread is what will you opine so I gave that exactly and sincere. I don’t think that any cog would be better in base of force and fix core principles of personality of your character if that happens is a novel not a game

I would think romance-readers would generally want multiple ROs in their interactive fiction and would prefer a single-RO story as a book. A single RO strikes me as more suitible for a secondary romance where people might be primarily interested in the main story. Like a classic chivalric romance where there are knights and monsters and the main character impresses a noble lady by defeating monsters. That strikes me as a candidate for a single-RO story where I would like the option to not romance the impressed noble lady and instead convince her to help with [insert political goal] in a non-romantic fashion.

I would recommend against adding options you’re not interested in writing about just because you need to have options; they’re liable to end up unsatisfying. If you can’t think of enough interesting alternatives, then you have an idea for a book, not a game. Which is fine with me; I have literally hundreds of books and I’d rather read a book than play a book repackaged as a game.

3 Likes

I’m gonna try posting the demo of one RO first, maybe you’ll like the RO. And the gender locked is not gonna change. I tried but I really am terrible at writing female perspective. But either way, thanks everyone~

4 Likes

Good luck!

1 Like

aye aye~ thanks u!

1 Like

Bit of advice on that: take a look at Choice Of Broadsides. It’s a “Wooden ships and iron men” story through and through but is not gender locked; it achieves this by swapping gender roles throughout the setting. You can do the same thing it does if you’re not up to writing distinct male and female paths. It takes more coding, but is very straightforward so it just adds time and proofreading.

1 Like

I think you’re touching on the issue of control, which is, in my opinion, the most important issue IF writers face. A director can’t direct a great film without control over his set the same way a painter can’t create great art without control over her canvas. A writer can’t create a great story without control over their plots, scenes and characters.

The IF writer is, well, in a real balancing act. One way of gaining more control is to purposely limit your story’s appeal and audience. If romancing a catgirl is the very reason you’re getting up at 6am to start writing, then please write a catgirl romance story. It won’t appeal to everyone who plays choicegames but you’ve got that much more control and ability to create a great story.

In screenwriting terms, there is an A-story and a B-story to every story. All romances in every movie only happen in the B-story, except for one genre: the “Buddy Love” genre I mentioned before. Those are romance movies, and that romantic dynamic is the A-story. The single RO is actually the only setup for creating a story where the romance is the central focus.

Not necessarily; see Choice Of Romance (on its own; I consider the rest of Affairs Of The Court a sequel to one ending rather than later acts of the same story) where there are three romance options. Most dedicated romance stories I’m familiar with get a lot of their dramatic tension by having multiple romance options in play for at least one of the main couple. For a romance focused game, I’d at least want to pick who’s the romance and who’s the “love rival”, to use romance manga parlance.

1 Like

I think we’re operating under different ideas of what constitutes a romance story. By the definition I operate under, it’s a story were the entire narrative centers around the relationship between the protagonist and love interest.

Buddy Love:
“My life changed for having known someone else”; a catalyst character enters the hero’s life and changes him–usually the two start off by hating each other, realize they need each other, and a bunch of conflict, then one big final fight where the two surrender their egos to win.

Of course other, secondary characters can certainly add conflict and drama between these two. But in a romance story, the main plot is the romance between the protagonist and love interest.

Games with romantic elements on the other hand, as you’ve mentioned, are different. It reminds me a lot of visual novels. In VNs, you often have a harem of romance interests to pick from. That’s nice but it isn’t a romance story. At least not until you’ve “locked yourself into a route” and the story can focus on a certain love interest.

So I guess I just want to point out that being a fan of romance elements is different than being a fan of romance stories!

1 Like

That is not true as you are forgotten the existence of one of most important plot in romantic literature the love triangle and the multiple spouses in certain cultures. In fact in spanish romantic novels and culebrones the main plot is always a love triangle aka Protagonist have to choose between both frequently one is a young poor person and other is rich and older but not always. So I found weird one romance only really when most novels the point is WHO WILL END that romance at the end

1 Like