How do you add text to your story based on an earlier choice?

What I mean is; if you decide to start a relationship with a character or if your are mentioning an item like a hammer, how do you add additional text to the story about a earlier choice you chose?

For the example, if your are initiating a relationship with a character:

*choice
#I’m attracted to Sarah
I would be open to dating her
#I’m not attracted to Sarah.
I not in to Sarah like that.
#I’m interested in someone else.
I’d only see her as friend, maybe even a sister.

And say you chose (#I’m attracted to Sarah.) and then later on in the story your character thinks to themselves: “Wow, Sarah really is hot.”
Or you chose (#I’m interested in someone else.) and your character thinks to themselves: “If I wasn’t already interested in someone else, I probably would’ve asked her out.”
How do you put your characters feelings about Sarah into the story with code?
Also, would it work the same way with something else like a sword or a hammer?

Well you could do something like

Create sarah_feel ""

*choice
  #I’m attracted to Sarah
   I would be open to dating her
   *set sarah_feel "she's really hot"
   *goto randomlabel

*label randomlabel
You look at Sarah and think ${sarah_feel}

That way when the player sees it it’ll say you look at sarah and think she’s really hot.

This is one way to do it and this can work with other objects and people with different phrases.

1 Like

Or *if’s! It would look basically like this:

*create Sarah_feel false
*create lover “no one”

*choice
#I like Sarah
*set sara_feel true
Or
*set lover “sarah”

(Then, on another scene):
“Oh, I’m attracted to
*if sarah_feel
Sarah
*if josh_feel
Joshua
, I think.”
(You may need two more spaces when you write the names after an if, I can’t check rn, sorry)

Or

“Oh, I’m attracted to $!{lover}.” (If lover “sarah” or “Josh” or “no one”. I use this method a lot more. Beware pronouns. Set the lover pronouns correctly by creating pronoun variables)

Or even more variables! Like "
“Oh, I’m
*if not_interested
not interested,
*if sarah_feel
interested in Sarah
thanks for asking.”

I find it easiest to use the above example!

Here’s what coding would look like:

*fake_choice
    #I like Sarah.
        *set sarah_romance true
        You like Sarah!
    #I like Sarah as a friend. 
        *set sarah_friend true
        You like Sarah as a friend!
    #I do not like Sarah. 
        *set sarah_rival true
        You do not like Sarah!

You can play around with these variables of course to make it easier for your writing, there are hundreds of way to write relationships, it’s all a matter of finding what is easiest for you!

With the coding above, in later chapters (just ensure you create these things in your startup.txt) you could do something like:

*if (sarah_romance = true)
    Sarah is pretty hot! I’m quite lucky.
*if (sarah_friend = true)
    Sarah is a good friend of mine.
*if (sarah_rival = true)
    I can’t stand Sarah. 
Continuation of text here. 

Hope that helps!

2 Likes

Thank you all for the responds. I guess I’m not stating what I mean right. What I’m trying to ask is: how do you add in a future sentence, or sentences, or even a paragraph in a chapter based off an earlier choice?

Using the same choice example I used before, let’s say in chapter 2 you have these options and it looks like this:

*choice
#I’m attracted to Sarah
I would be open to dating her.
#I’m not attracted to Sarah
I’m not in to Sarah like that.
#I’m interested in someone else
I’d only see her as friend, maybe even a sister.

And later, in chapter 11 or even chapter 3 the results of the choice you picked changes the example paragraph below. I put the additional text in bold to show you what I mean.

Choice 1:
You sit at the restaurant table nervously waiting for the double date to begin. Alex, Sarah, and Jenny walk through the glass doors. You watch as Sarah is the first to approach the table. ‘Wow, Sarah is really hot,’ you think to yourself as she sits down at the table. Alex sits down next, and then Jenny. Sarah, your date has you feeling flustered by how incredible she looks. You smile thinking this is going to be a memorable night; bad or good, but memorable.

Choice 2:
You sit at the restaurant table nervously waiting for the double date to begin. Alex, Sarah, and Jenny walk through the glass doors. You watch as Sarah is the first to approach the table. ‘If I were into women then I could myself dating Sarah. She’s beautiful,’ you think to yourself as she sits down at the table. Alex sits down next, and then Jenny. Alex, your date looks so sexy that you’re afraid he’ll notice you gawking at him. You smile thinking this is going to be a memorable night; bad or good, but memorable.

Choice 3:

You sit at the restaurant table nervously waiting for the double date to begin. Alex, Sarah, and Jenny walk through the glass doors. You watch as Sarah is the first to approach the table. ‘If I wasn’t already interested in someone else, I probably would’ve asked her out,’ you think to yourself as she sits down at the table. Alex sits down next, and then Jenny. Jenny, your date looks so good that you try hard not to stare too long. You smile thinking this is going to be a memorable night; bad or good, but memorable.

How do code in the bold text into your paragraph?

1 Like

Well using *if statements should help such as

*if (sarah_feeling = true)
 Blah blah can be used multiple times as
 long as its in the startup text you can use
 it anywhere this means that if the character
 has feelings for sarah this text should show

As for bolding words use [.b][\b.] Without periods

And to use it with choices it would be

*if (sarah_feel = true) #random choice answer

So what you want would look like this:

In chapter 1(?):

*fake_choice
    #I am attracted to Sarah.
        *set sarah_attractive true
        You’re attracted to Sarah.
    #I am not interested in Sarah like that.
        You’re not attracted to Sarah.
    #I’m interested in someone else.
        *set someone_else true
        Someone else has caught your eye.
[Rest of chapter 1 here.]

And then say, chapter 3:

You’re nervous for your double date. 
*if (sarah_attractive = true)
    After much consideration, you have decided to ask Sarah to be your date. 
*if ((sarah_attractive = false) and (someone_else = false))
    You’re going into this blind, to be more specific, a blind date. Your friends say they have found someone. 
*if ((sarah_attractive = false) and (someone_else = true))
    It took a little persuasion, but you have asked Alex to be your date.

Your startup.txt would look like this:

*create sarah_attractive false
*create someone_else false

I hope that helps?? let me know

Sorry, I’m meant the text in bold. But thank you for the replies. I’ll try those out and see if they work.

It worked. Thank you. I apologize it took so long to respond. My laptop had an BCD boot-up problem and I had to wait for a CD to fix the problem.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.