Hosted Games Logo [POLL]

I think those values are hard to convey through a logo alone, that kind of recognition mostly relies on an established reputation. I’d go with something simple; minimalistic stuff seems to be popular these days (hexagons, circles, lines, muted shades, etc.).

Personally, I don’t care for the flame, in my mind it portrays destruction as opposed to creation; and I really don’t care for the megaphone, it seems loud and obnoxious.

1 Like

Hey what about a maze in the shape of a fat exclamation point or a light bulb? Just brainstorming here. And I still like the flame the best of the examples shown - it reminds me of the phrase “flame of ingenuity.”

1 Like

A mob throwing a flaming megaphone into a corn maze full of aristocrats. You’re welcome.

20 Likes

With a small CoG-maze logo as the dot and a trapezoid-shaped maze emerging from it.

2 Likes

Hmm, yeah, I gotta agree with the others here - none of them really look all that good.
What bothers me about the flame logos is, I think, that the lines inside don’t really fit the overall shape? Like, with the CoG logo, the maze design goes perfectly with the circular shape. The mazes inside the flames look like they’re not supposed to be there. (Sorry, I’m not sure how to explain it.)

2 Likes

I thought the flame sort of symbolized a phoenix-like arising. Maybe on the lines of the destruction in a good way of tired, old locked in games to the new everyone-can-participate from writers to players in every event in the game.

Or an open book in the middle of the labyrinth triangle?

I think what would also help if there were a better branding for “Hosted Games”

CGP (Choice of Games Presents:) ?

CoGI (Choice of Games Independent)?

CHG (Choice Hosted Games)?

Put a book in the center of a triangle maze, representing choices made to get to the story? Acronym underneath.

I’ve been avoiding this thread because I haven’t really had anything to add to the circlejerk before. It seems people are united in the same kind of thought: the first option looks the best for what Hosted Games is, the third looks best as a logo but is too close to an Xbox achievement.

I think the main issue is the lack of symmetry. With the CoG logo, you can immediately see the circle, and your eyes can see that there are spokes coming out at symmetric intervals. It looks and feels pleasant, while also immediately conveying the idea behind the games themselves.
While conveying some of the ideas behind Hosted Games, none of the logos on the poll give you that immediate and clear aha-moment as to what they’re about, unless you know the context. Stuffing them with asymmetric mazes also makes them look far too busy and not nearly clean enough to convey the message well. They work on paper, but not in practice.

Even so, if these are the absolute final choices, then I would immediately take the first one over the others. It’s the cleanest and most evocative logo of the group.

5 Likes

Hello I’m a design student but here’s my crit on the logos. (I mean no offence btw if I may come off as such)

At a first glance, the fire logos made me thing of TINDER right away. The megaphones made it looked like an announcement.

option 1 & 2 I am not liking the look to the flame (maybe it’s a personal pref.) but I do like what the symbolism portrays: like the “burning passion for writing / reading / creating”

Option 1: lines are a bit thin compared to CoG (I keep seeing a fingerprint in it ._.; ) Is there another flame appearance/ shape we can explore?

option 2 is too complicated. doesn’t tie in to CoG at all. More circuit board like

option 3 was a big NO for me. it’s your typical announcements symbol. not identifiably a brand that promotes creativity.

I thought Option 4 was too Vertical if you know what I mean. Too solid. too blocky > makes it feel like many cubicles.

Option 5 on the other hand, I feel it does connect back to CoG and tell people that it’s still part of the company?

What if we take Option 5 that megaphone turn it so the speaker side is turning downwards (and /or remove the handle), it makes it LOOK like a flame but not at the same time??? (just an idea you can ignore this if anything)

Hope I helped :slightly_smiling:

3 Likes

Sorry to pile on, but I’m not a big fan of any of them either…

How about a maze in the shape of an H?

3 Likes

I really agree with you! Taking a graphic design class myself these were sadly a turnoff :pensive:

Option one because it’s the only one pleasant to look at. The rest are either a visual mess with the amount of lines, or a xbone achievement.

One ain’t perfect but it seems to be the best choice. Not too generic, not a mess.

A maze pattern over an open book could look really good and make it easy to identify what hosted games are about. Would love to see a logo like that :slightly_smiling:

Out of the available options, I’d have to go with the first flame. It’s relatively simplistic and easy to identify with a curving “creativity” type feel to it. The second flame looks too busy to me and in a smaller form is going to start looking less maze like and more like a texture. I’m not really a fan of the megaphones personally, just reminds me of people loudly shouting their messages and slogans at crowds as rallies and demonstrations or annoying spruikers for some reason. (Maybe that’s just me though).

I suggested this, but Jason said it wasn’t what they were going for. :confused:

10 Likes

I understand I’m two years old to the conversation, but I’ve just noticed the logo on the newsletter e-mail I received today.

So, the idea behind it is quite nice. Someone prolly already mentioned the connection of fire and stories(telling stories around campfires, fire as a symbol for knowledge, etc).

BUT I think there might be a better way to display the notion of a logo that resembles COG and still maintains its own unique identity based on the same idea of “playing with fire”.

As it currently stands, there’s a vague aura of “amateurism” in it. I’m in lack of a better term here, but what I mean is that it doesn’t appear to “hold up” to the rest of CoG visual identity in terms of quality.

“The same can be said about HG games in general xD”

Hey! We’re trying to improve, don’t mock us.

Anyway, there are a few elements that give that impression up, I’ll try to point them out based on my lackluster knowledge of semiotics:

1 - The space white space between the black lines changes its thickness in too many spots for no apparent reason, and the brain notices those discrepancies instead of focusing on the entire element.

2 - The “stretching” of the black lines doesn’t feel natural, creating some strange and sudden/wavy curves.

3 - The lines sometimes end in different way, and I understand there’s probably a purpose for that, but I think it could’ve gone smoother. As it currently stands, the transition does not follow the same rule for all of the edges relative to their vertical position on the image.

6 Likes