Hiding Choices?

Someone might’ve already asked this, but I can’t sift through the forum right now: when making a set of choices, is there any way to make one choice hidden and become available after one or even both/all of the other choices are selected and brought back to the label? If that’s impossible, I know how to just make another choice selection, but I thought that might be a bit cooler. Also, while I’m here: the ‘titling statistics until they’re revealed thing’ is a bit confusing.

1 Like

Place a variable on the code, then follow:

*choice
[Tab]#Option 1
[Tab][Tab]Text
[Tab][Tab]*set VariableBlah +1
[Tab]#Option 2
[Tab][Tab]Text
[Tab][Tab]*set VariableBlah +1
[Tab]*selectable_if (VariableBlah = 2) #Option 3

*selectable_if would still make the choice appear but it would just be greyed out and inaccessible. What i think you’re looking for is a choice list that doesn’t display a certain option at all (for thematic or spoiler reasons) unless a certain criteria is fulfilled? If that’s true then a simple *if statement in your choice branch should work i.e.

*choice
[Tab]#Option 1
[Tab]#Option 2
[Tab]*if (variable)
[Tab][Tab]#Option 3

In which case Option 3 only appears if the variable is met.

1 Like

My bad. Need coffee.

Okay. I think I’m getting it, but the variable thing is the problem: do you happen to know how to make the other options the needed variable? Variables are my mortal weakness today, apparently…

Put
*hide_reuse globally

At the beginning of the scene.

I’m not really sure what you mean by this? Could you post an example of the code you’re using and maybe explain a bit more what you’d want it to do?

I figured it all out. I set it up under a different name so I can change it at the desired time. Thanks, though! These forums are really helpful.

1 Like

Hello, sorry for necro-ing a thread but can you share your solution here please? The problem stated here is exactly what I’m facing now and I would really like to know the solution, thank you!

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Not completely certain what you want to do, but here are a few options for you. 

One: show an option that you might or might not be able to click on. 

basicly something like
*choice 
    *selectable_if (fighting >= 2) #punch him. 
        Your text here. 

With this you can choice the option if fighting is 2 or higher. If it's lower the option will still show in grey and can't be clicked upon. 

The second possibility is to have a hidden choice.  

If you want people to go through multiple options and then reveal one do something like this. 

*label start
*choice
    *hide_reuse #Ask for advice.
        text 
        *set askedthequestions +1
        *goto start
    *hide_reuse #Think about it. 
        *set askedthequestions +1
        *goto start
    *if askedthequestions =2
        #give the answer 

The hide_reuse makes it so that the question only shows once. The goto gets the person playing back to the choice, which will now only show one option. Once he/she has just that one the value is 2, meaning that the third option appears. 

Another way to hide a choice is to use one of your variables, lets say fighting again. 

*choice 
    #Option A
    #Option B
    *if (fighting >=2) #Option C

Option C only shows if fighting is 2 or higher. If fighting is lower only option A and B can be seen. 

Hope that this helps you.

1 Like

That looks like exactly what I wanted. I’ll get to trying right away, thank you!

This was one of the more frustrating back-and-forth processes to learn, but thank you to everyone who contributed to this post!