“Heroes Rise” Is the First Text Adventure on Steam; We Need Your Help!

Just bought the Heroes Rise Bundle. Only played the first one but I am very interested in the sequel.

Congratulation for being on Steam. I hope the sales are favourable and that you can retain a foothold. I will be recommending all of my steam friends to check out the launch sale.

Out of interest, does COG have a steam group?

@PurpleMonkey121 What did you do to get it working?

Okay…I’ve noticed that the Steam Community can’t seem to figure out that the Hero Project is the 2nd part of the game. There are way more reviews and all negative. Pretty stupid ones as well.

There are a lot of reasonable people that seem to want to know if they can change the background and font colors (which oddly enough I never really thought of).

There are a lot of hostile people as usual and people not really sure what it is from reading the forums.

Anyway that’s about it. Say hi to Jaxercise. That’s me. :slight_smile:

Yeah, it seems like everyone purchased volume two, without acknowledging that it was a sequel, despite it being explicitly stated in multiple ways.

@dfabulich I went into the game properties on stream and then verify game cache. I hope this help you.

I know this is going to sound a bit harsh, however: I believe that if COG wants to compete with other, larger VN companies, COG is going to have to step up the game (game engine wise). For example, being able to switch backgrounds between scenes could help alot with ambiance. Music as well, (though I understand you’ve already created audio support for Demon Hunter) should be added to games (for ambiance purposes). Also, when porting games to another platform it is very much recommended that you bring out the “Bigguns” (so to speak), First impressions are VERY important.

While I absolutely love COG, it has to somewhat match the market your going for on that platform. And the steam market (unfortunately) is very much Visual and Audible Heavy.

EDIT: and by “Bigguns” I mean a game that’s loved by most who’ve played it I.e. Zombie Exodus.

@Malebrache While I do agree about customization and such, @dfabulich is just one guy, and as I understand it he does a number of other projects not related to CoG as well.

@fantom *cough* *cough* *ahem* why not use some of the money they put into authors for outsourcing (on a per job basis?)*cough* *cough* *ahemhem*

@Malebranche
Come on now, you’ve made a fair and valid point/suggestion (as has fantom), there’s no need for the *cough* stuff. Please keep it civil.

@Malebranche That can get rather expensive, and without knowing how much they actually make after all the bills are paid it may be unrealistic to outsource it. However, if at all possible, having someone who can help with with it would be a good idea.

With all that *cough*ing, I honestly didn’t understand what you’re saying. Are you proposing that we pay authors less so we can pay a coder?

@CJW the *cough* *cough* was meant as “hint, hint” My apologies to Mr. Fabulich if it was taken otherwise.

@dfabulich no, that’s not what I meant, again my apologies I realize that I was slightly ambiguous with my last statement. What I meant was: you could (hypothetically) take a part of the authors cut (which if I’m not mistaken is 10,000 for a cog over milestones) and lower it by say… 2000 or so and instead increase the ad revenue with that particular contract (without author ip rights). So for example you could pay an author 8000 over milestones and 20% (or less if you wanted) in ad revenue to that author. Thereby saving you 2000 (or another ammount if you so choose) and giving the author residual revenue in addition (I personally would LOVE a contract of these terms as its the best (in my opinion) to both parties.

Quick note re the “Bigguns”: Heroes Rise is (much) less popular on the forums than it is with the buying public. It’s CoG’s bestseller, resonating with many more players than any other game, and I think they’re right to lead with it – even though like @Malebranche and several other people vocal on these forums I personally enjoy ZE more.

@Havenstone I have something to say about the “best seller” VS “ZE” but not right now, as I have to leave at the moment.

@Malebranche
Residual income after the initial 10k (8k, hypothetically) is something I always thought was a great idea. It wouldn’t have to be substantial, but it’s a good way of rewarding the author depending on how much he/she sells.

@Havenstone Regarding the “Bigguns” and HR sales V.S. ZE. The question really is, how many people got to see ZE vs how many people got to see HR (ZE, if I’m not mistaken has way better reviews and more than HR). From those numbers we can accurately draw a Conversion Ratio of how many people saw/ how many people bought/and how many of those became upsells (who bought the sequel to that game ans so on). Without those numbers we can’t accurately tell which is more popular/converts better. Especially if you consider that the game are in two separate categories in the app store (Labels) so somebody might not even know HG’s exist unless they do some research (and remember that seriously lowers buying rates on HG’s). And to be frank (though I may be stepping on some toes) COG does not (from what I’ve seen) take near enough opportunities to build their list of engage buyers and leads (which they could do by sending people to the forum). Again this is all speculation and until we see numbers we can’t actually give accurate representation as to whats going on.

Well The Prodigy has got all good reviews and no bad ones ^^

@Samuel_H_Young In which platform (app store etc.)?

@Malebranche
In Steam :stuck_out_tongue: