Help creating a game

Hi! I am new here, but have been reading several COG’s and Hosted Games over the years. First of all, thank you. Thank you for the ability to dive into other worlds, to see things from a different point of view, and the ability to create your own destiny.
I love these games so much, I want to try my hand at making one. I have a few questions however.

1. I have seen Choicescript and it looks like a nightmare (at least to a person with no coding experience). I wanted to know exactly if there was a guide somewhere, or if somebody could help me with the process.
  2. What are the requirements to write a story? Legal or paperwork, ID, any personal info, is that needed? Also do you need to submit a sample of “work” to be determined? Any or all requirements needed would be appreciated.
  3. I have three ideas for a story, and all will be pretty lengthy (about 150k to 200k words). Is there a way to “claim” an idea, or is it first come, first serve? (whoever wrote it first).
    Thank you so much!!

There are answers to those questions linked in this useful post by @FairyGodfeather. That should help get you pointed in the right direction!

3 Likes

Thank you so much!! It is nice to know somebody is here!!

1 Like

Ok, so I will answer what I can.

1. The code seems much harder than it is. I have no coding experience, I am far from a tech guy or something like that. after a couple of days reading about it and trying some stuff for fun I know enough to be trying to write my own story. So just read and try it. The wiki and the links in the post that @Fiogan linked have almost everything you need to know about it.

2. Just check the “make your own games” page at the website. They have that info.

3. There are never two equal stories, never. So don’t sweat about it. But if you want, you can obviously create a WIP thread for your game. But as I said, the stories can have similarities but they are always different, or else people won’t write them :smiley:

Good luck.

3 Likes

Good luck! Have fun.

1 Like

Ok. thank you guys a bunch. I have one last question, however.
Do you post a WIP before or after you program it? I would like to share the story with you guys, but it may have to wait if I nee to program it.

I’d recommend writing at least one scene before you post it. Give people something concrete to feed back on, not just an idea.

4 Likes

Not only are we here, we’re excited to help out any way we can.

I taught myself basic Choicescript in about a week, and it took me no more than three months before I didn’t have to keep looking everything up on the wiki. And I came to this with zero experience coding. It’s really, really dead easy. And if you run into any knotty problems, just post about it.

I’m looking forward to seeing what you write!

1 Like

^This. :wink:

(I hate this 20 characters minimum :stuck_out_tongue: )

1 Like