Have there been any attempts to add a "View Last Page"/"View Transcript" button?

Sorry, if this doesn’t belong here (it doesn’t quite fit the template) tell me and I can - I actually don’t know if I can move it myself, but I can kill it and create a new one wherever.

Anyways, I’m writing a ChoiceScript game for IFComp and I’m wondering if there have been any plugins written that let you view the game history. One of my recurring frustrations with CS games is that sometimes I’ll accidentally advance the page when I didn’t mean to, or I fat finger an option and have to try and figure out what I picked, or I just leave the game for a few days and have trouble catching up. So I was wondering if there’s something somebody has made, similar to the save plugin (https://github.com/ChoicescriptIDE/ChoiceScriptSavePlugin) that adds this functionality which I could bundle into the game.

7 Likes

This is just my thoughts, but all you can do now is manually add/replace all the text (or new text) with a string?

Example

The king is not happy with your choice for beating the shit out of his son, merely for <i>teasing</i> with your friends.

"It was too inhuman for you. My son almost die!"
What will you do now?
*choice
    #Speak up.
        "My dear King, your son, was not just "<i>teasing</i> with my friends. He almost raped my friends; hence I wasn't there to bring justice."

Clenching his hands, he's not pleased with your answer. He told the guard to take you to prison. (.etc)
        *set transcript ("The king is not happy with your choice for beating the shit out of his son, merely for <i>teasing</i> with your friends.

"It was too inhuman for you. My son almost die!"

"My dear King, your son, was not just "<i>teasing</i> with my friends. He almost...")
    #Slap the king.
        You stand up and walk up to the King, guards rushing at you, but the King stops them from doing so...
        *set transcript ("The king is not happy with your choice for beating the shit out of his...")
    #Point your sword at the King.
        Taking out your sword, you point it directly at him...

These are just my thoughts. I don’t know if it’s going to work or not. May this help :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

This should work, although you would have to do it for every choice and keep the records somewhere in the stat menu for the player to see. I never thought of doing this before, It would certainly be a cool feature to implement.

It would also be possible to make a previous page or choice button if you just reverse engineer the variables associated with the choices you make.

1 Like

Hmm, that’s a good suggestion, but it’d be a huge amount of work. Also, 100%, I’d have trouble keeping the two together. I was wondering more if there was a javascript plugin.

It seems like that’s not something people have done, so I’ll see how far I can get with my mediocre javascript before the comp ends. Thanks for the responses.

1 Like