Is it possible to add a back button?

I know at least a few users would like me to add a back button to the game.

Is there a way to do it? And if so, is there a way to tie it to a variable, so that at the start of the game, i can ask:

“Do you want a back button?”

That should be please those who want it and those who don’t want it.

That button if enable would have to be visible on all pages.

Thanks in advance for your help.

1 Like

I am sure you can but would more then likely not be supported when getting published. you could always write a choice that can take you back. Personaly I think it would take some of the fun out of it. Those hard choices would not be so hard if I was able to go back.

I understand what you are saying and i myself dislike the back button…

However, since it was requested by some people, just wanted to know if it was possible. Making a choice at each choice saying (Go back) would be just be too much work to implement.

If it is easy, then yes, i am willing to put it as a feature :slight_smile:

I played with the idea at one time but really felt it was not a good idea for a cs game.

But it would not be that hard to code. I already use a system for jumping pack to pages to pick up where the player was last. so changhing over to a go back would be simple.

:slight_smile:

I think the idea of a back button is mentioned in the FAQ. I personally dislike the idea, but I can see why others might want one.

@Magma While it would be fairly easy to code a ‘soft save’ system that allowed a player to go back one or more steps (and which, once written, would be easy to implement at any point throughout your game) I can’t honestly see why you would want to except for pure playtesting purposes.

As a general rule, it’s not usually a good idea to accede to the wishes of a minority if doing so would definitely be against the best interests of the majority… which in this case it most certainly would be. The back button is disabled for a very good reason.

You could probably modify the simple automatic save.js plugin I wrote without too much hassle, you’d just need to make it so it saves a page behind, so you can always jump back a page by reloading.

But as everyone else says unless you’re set on the idea, I’d probably argue against it.

@Vendetta “As a general rule, it’s not usually a good idea to accede to the wishes of a minority if doing so would definitely be against the best interests of the majority… which in this case it most certainly would be. The back button is disabled for a very good reason.”

In practice, that depends entirely on how loud the minority is, doesn’t it? And in this case, I’m rather on the side of the minority. There have been numerous occasions where I’ve selected an option, only to find the author had loaded it with numerous unforseen consequences, which I didn’t wish to accept. If a game had a list of professions, and choosing ‘Saggar Maker’s Bottom Knocker’ was taken to mean “You are a member of Occupy Hampton-on-Sea,” you can bet I’d be reloading the game to find an option allowing me to truncheon the crusties, which is a bit of a faff.

If having the option present before you makes you feel a little too tempted to savescum, as it were, then just do as @Magma suggested, and leave it at user discression whether to turn it on or off.

2 Likes

For example Twine, which is rather similar has that feature.

However i find that it’s easier to program with choicescript, so i am not changing any time soon. Not only that but there are already people who do know this engine very well and are always willing to help, which is a plus.

As for the back button - I just know that some people like to see every single path and option possibles… just to see what’s there.

I would definitely tie it to a variable the same way i did with images… some people just dislike pictures, while i personally think they bring a bit of life to the game.

With a question at the start of the game i can “please” both :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, i can’t code for my life, so…

If someone does know of a code that could be implemented please let me know :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance