Guenevere (WIP)

I believe Guen already has the option to internally express attraction to more than one (or all three) of the main trio. I think she’ll be able to suggest the idea of a poly relationship in book 3 or 4?

I’m not sure how Arthur would react, but in books 1 & 2 if Guen tells Morgana she’s interested in both her and Lancelot, she (Morgana) gets uncomfortable/worried and ends the relationship/doesn’t start it (unless its book 2 and Morgana has high trust).

There is also one option in book 2 during the kiss scene (if Guen is with Morgana) to tell Lancelot she’s interested in both him and Morgana. I think he says he understands? I also think there might be options during that last scene with Lancelot for Guen to tell him she loves both Arthur and him. (EDIT: That last scene with Lancelot in book 1. Forgot to put that in.)

But I wouldn’t take my word for it. A lot of those scenes are really good and well written (and potentially really sad). That could be said about basically the whole game, though.

1 Like

@jeantown
If Lance is bi, will you include an option for Guen to ship him with Mordred?

First I have to say to you @jeantown, you are an amazing genius. I have also always been obssessed with Queen Quenevere and this game is so perfect! Thank you!

I do have a question for you. I know you’re not planning on sticking to the legend in the traditional sense, so will it ever be possible for Gwen to have children of her own in your story? I know she is barren in most retellings of the arthurian legend, but some of the earliest legends do allude to her having one to three sons.

1 Like

Polygamous guen. That, is an interesting idea. If I was Guen I’d stick with Arthur (because I want to stay a powerful queen, thanks @poison_mara ) but have Lance as my side chick. And Morgana as my side chick next to my original side chick. :laughing:

But Morgana doesnt want this kind of relationship and Lance purposely goes on quests to avoid hurting Arthur :cry: If polygamous Guen existed then my free-spirited Guen would marry every year.

If Kay or Maris/Bretta became RO I immediately assume that they would be okay with being my side-chick but then Maris and Bretta would be competitive and Kay would be a one night stand kind of guy (because he would be excuted or exiled the next day hah)

Someone mentioned Mordred? Incest, no?

Anyways, men back then had a ton of court mistresses, even Arthur’s knights. Out of all the lore i read and watched the only reason Guen cant have side chicks as easily is because Arthur never kept one. I know hes innocent but he must know that its bound to happen right? Especially since he has plenty of good looking knights?

And does King Lot know his wife prefers the company of women? I have to ask these questions before the next update so I wont regret my choices :slightly_smiling:

2 Likes

…aaaaaaaaaand Arthur would continue to be uncomfortable. :grin:

Arthur has a more tactical mind than many people realize… in that moment he’s just more focused on the threat, and the neutralization of the threat, than he is on the damage.

Kay will show up in the game at some point, and he has a major role in the Arthur prequel story. Arthur trusts Kay to an extent – he believes (correctly) that Kay is 100% loyal to him and to Britain – but Kay’s two favorite activities are complaining and criticizing, which means that Arthur often doesn’t take his advice seriously.

We’ll get there. Part 6, probably.

Yeah, everything’s somewhat compressed so that the reader can walk in and see some of the most recognizable elements of Arthurian stories right away, without getting slammed with a ton of backstory.

Probably by stringing him along a bit while making him feel as guilty as possible, maybe doing some damage to his relationship with Arthur (if I can make that work), and then breaking up with him in a jealous rage when he marries Elaine. That ought to do it.

Yeah, Lancelot has a poor sense of boundaries. To be fair, he and Arthur have sneaked out at night for silly pranks in the castle before, so it’s nothing new to them, and in their minds, they’re just trying to make Guen feel welcome.

Arthur is straight. :slight_smile:

And while I’m tempted to leave it at that (because that’s all I’ve said so far), I can’t help but add that bisexual Lancelot is practically Arthurian canon by now.

(Like, seriously, did you people think I would pass that up?!)

Also, I feel that @Ultramarine should be congratulated for their knowledge of less-well-known Arthurian tradition and their careful attention to what I have and haven’t said. Ultramarine, your wish will be granted. :relaxed:

Yes. It’s in the plan, anyway.

Yep. In my current plan, A/G/L can start in part 3, and M/G/L in part 4. (Morgana in part 3 is just going to be too traumatized and preoccupied, and also pregnant.)

Give it tiiiiiiiiiime… :slight_smile:

Dear goddess, that would be a hatemance to end all hatemances. I suppose Guen can fantasize about anything she likes, but I don’t think Mordred and Lancelot’s hatred for each other is going to be very sexy when it happens.

@darkwolf76 Thank you; I’m very glad you like it! :smile: You can find out a lot more about Guen having a child in the Guenevere FAQ.

With each other? Nah. Maris is only attracted to men, and Bretta only attracted to women. Maris wouldn’t be jealous of a relationship between Guen and Bretta. She might think it inappropriate, but Bretta’s her best friend and she’d try to understand.

Someone asked earlier if Arthur would have a more difficult time finding out that Guen was involved with Lancelot or Kay, and I’m still not sure. (I’ll figure it out as things develop.)

Between Guen and Mordred? Not really, since they’re not related by blood. Or did you just mean Arthur/Morgana? If so, then yes. (You can learn more about Mordred in the FAQ.)

True historically, but often not the case for British kings in the Guenverse, where the royal bloodlines are jealously guarded.

No, I think he’s really that innocent. :smiley: Poor Arthur.

He doesn’t. Morgana has never had a reason to tell him.

6 Likes

(1.) When Morgana becomes pregnant, will she have weird symptoms? Will they be magical? Considering the fact that her son doesn’t have to be born to enter into other people’s dreams.
(2.) If Guenevere and/or Morgana can be on the opposing side in part 7, can anybody else do the same? The knights? Frankmarch (if they get their politics together)?
(3.) If Arthur and Lancelot are no longer close in the future, based on Guenevere’s choices, will they figure it out? If yes, how will they respond/feel?
(4.)
(A.) If Arthur becomes “hardened” what will be the main difference what he will become and how he is now?
(B.) If Morgana becomes a villain, what will she set out to do? What will Mordred think about it?
(C.) If Lancelot just so happens to come to the point were he “drown in angst and probably wishes he was dead”, how big of a difference will that make in his usual ways?

Well ,I think he would be most of all pretty disappointed … he try to make guen comfortable/happy enough (even guen love him or not). He sound like a guy with pretty strong values and wants everybody be happy so he may thinking what when the thing gone wrong (but I could be misunderstood him)

I have to say that while reading the FAQ, the circumstances regarding Mordred’s conception make me curious. Canon is pretty much nonexistent in Mordred’s territory, with him being… created through either consensual sex (ala Lannister), rape (double eck), or just because they have to for some reason. Considering this, it’s not so confusing why the guy has a lot of baggage. Will Arthur know about what happened? Will Morgana? Or will some spell be cast that has them both unaware of Mordred’s parentage?

Is Morgause appearing in this story, or is Morgana the amalgam of both Morgan le Fay and Morgause (which is pretty common nowadays).

Speaking of bloodlines, is the myth of dragon blood inherent in the Pendragon line going to feature anything? Slight eye changes depending on emotion kind of thing? Territorial tendencies? This has to affect Mordred somehow, with parents both possessing dragon blood.

I am probably getting ahead of myself though. haha Sorry. Just really interested in this story. :smiley:

If I remember correctly, there will be magic shenanigans involved that tricks/forces Arthur and Morgana to have sex. They will know what happened. They will not be happy.

2 Likes

Ooh. Magical Drama.

They will not be happy.

Is probably a huge understatement. O.o

Is Galehaut, Galahad?

A hardened Arthur encountering an evil/estranged Morgana would be quite a thing to read. They were once very close after all.

Mordred will most likely idolize his mother. Depending on the circumstances, however, (The FAQ states that Mordred is an end-justifies-the-means kinda guy) Mordred might join his mother if she rationalizes it enough. I wonder how Mordred will react when he figures out that he’s the son (and nephew) of the King?

The banter in Book II is just awesome. Reminiscent of Dragon Age’s or a funny anime’s actually. I have literally laughed out loud reading the book.

Lancelot: “The duchess will need some things to wear while they’re working, though… Morgana, you’re the same size. You must have a couple of extra dresses you can lend her.”

Morgana: “I travel light! Guen and her entire wardrobe live here; why don’t you ask her?”

“Not the same size,” answers Lancelot in a this-should-be-obvious tone.

What are Morgana’s and Guen’s sizes, anyway?

Arthur being adorably useless was another plus here. The author, Jean Townsend, has done a phenomenal job in not making Arthur seem like he’s schizophrenic, bipolar or OOC. How many realistic Kings can you count on one hand that can lead, be charismatic, and respected, while being useless, naive, and goofy at another moment? It’s nice that the author hasn’t fallen on the pitfall to make a character be only this one thing or stereotype.

EDIT: However, there seems to be quite a bit of telling vs. showing in the case of Arthur being kingly and inspiring. You tell us that the crown is on Arthur’s head like it was meant to be there, yet not much more info is given to convince Guen (or us) that Arthur’s people revere him (or do they?) and not much of him doing his kingly duties is shown. A scene perhaps, in which the monarchs hear the people’s complaints? Something could be shown here to reflect the people’s view of their King and Queen.
This is just personal preference though. And the showing vs telling thing is always subject to interpretation.

Guen rescuing Lancelot from the fae wolf is a nice switcheroo on the usual and overdone Lancelot-saves-Guenever-from-hostage-taking thing. There are no damsels in distress that need rescuing here thank you. Lancelot knowing who the real Guen was and Arthur chasing after the wrong one adds more dynamic to the love triangle. It adds more second guessing on my part since I chose to be loyal to Arthur, yet agree that my Guen had feelings for Lance.

1 Like

For the record… I laughed really hard when I read this.
Which isn’t fair to you because not everyone’s an Arthurian nerd and there are a lot of confusing names. Names with multiple spellings, names that look like other names, names that belong to characters who are technically other characters or a composite. Because basically nothing is technically canon it can kind of make your brain melt. lol.

Because yeah, no. Definitely not the same person.
One is Lance’s traveling companion and the other his offspring. (And by traveling companion I mean Lance’s originally implied, but then basically accepted as “canon” lover.)

3 Likes

Ohh. Well now I know. I’ve only been recently interested in the Arthurian legends so I’m only familiar with the more famous ones.

I just assumed that Galehaut was Galahad since Lancelot was mentioned in the same sentence.

Dang, Lance has a lot of lovers. He did like the King for some part in The once and future king, actually becoming jealous of his future lover, the queen… Is Lance ‘canonically’ (there is no such thing in the Arthurian legends) bi?

Well, In Spain Arthurian legends are completely different from other countries. Like WAY DIFFERENT I know my country ones, but I have a vaguely idea from class of yours and from read De Troyes book for class. Spanish version cut off most of secondary people and children and incest stuff. Arthur is a good man but to easy in trust and maybe a sodom guy with Lance. Lance is the worst ever a sinner but a great soldier. And half of knights come to Roncesvalles to die killing Muslims… Arthur becomes a raven eternally flying Ingland waiting the moment to return and recreate Camelot. The Grail is here in Valencia…

2 Likes

@Monk65 beat me to it, but yeah.

Galehaut is the Lord of the Distant Isles/Prince of Sorelois, and is initially an enemy of Arthur. Galehaut’s army was basically curb-stomping Arthur’s until Lancelot convinced him to surrender. The exact details depend on the version, of course; but usually Galehaut asks Lancelot to lodge with him, and Lancelot does it in exchange for a promise of surrender, or Lancelot convinces Galehaut after a couple of days there. Then Galehaut notices Lancelot’s love for Guenevere, and sets them up. I actually don’t know much past that point (I’m still reading through stuff), but I think they become travelling companions for a bit? I do know they’re buried together, though. (And that Galehaut ‘pines away and dies for love of Lancelot’, :frowning:).

(EDIT: And… I forgot to add that this is the super condensed TL;DR version.)

I guess so. In most versions (I think), he loves Arthur just as much as he loves Guenevere. There’s probably subtext in other places, but I’m too tired to remember right now.

3 Likes

How about an option to buy everything at once for $xx? For us in third world countries, buying microtrans is much more expensive than buying everything at once (I don’t really know how Google Play calculates the ForEx). I’d really hate to be a cheapskate and stuff, since what you wrote, write, and will write is very good, but…

Probably, but we may not get to see them, since part 3 will show only the first few days of her pregnancy. But the uniqueness of the pregnancy will definitely be acknowledged.

Yes! :slight_smile: Parts 1-6, while they each have their own plot, are ultimately all about Guen making alliances that she’ll be able to call on in the final battle. So whether she sides with Arthur or Mordred at the end, she may be able to bring in help for her side from all sorts of people and groups.

Figure out that Guen drove a wedge between them? I think they might both recognize that she was part of the overall distancing, but I’m not sure it would occur to them that she did it on purpose.

He’ll be less optimistic and less trusting. (A “hardened” Arthur would have assigned his best servants to keep a close eye on Meligaunt the second Meligaunt showed up.)

If Morgana becomes a villain, she’ll help Mordred in his attempt to supplant Arthur. Mordred will be very happy.

He’ll certainly lose his energy and sense of fun. He’s already stopped the widespread flirting etc. thanks to Guen, and he’ll probably never go back to that, regardless of what happens.

Oh, absolutely. But who is the more disappointing to discover in an affair with your wife – your foster-brother or your best friend? Answer is probably both. (And moot for the moment, since there’s not going to be a Kay romance any time soon.)

They will know. There will be drama.

She’s an amalgam; no separate Morgause. I’m also fusing Maleagant and the Giant of Mont-St-Michel, as well as Elaine of Corbenic and Elaine of Astolat. However, Vivien and Nimue are two separate people in my Guenverse.

Not dragon blood per se, though the Pendragon line does carry special magical powers which will be revealed later. Sadly no eye changes for Arthur. Lancelot and Mordred are the only characters with “special” eyes.

Confusing names, but as @Monk65 and @Ultramarine have clarified, definitely not the same person.

Yeah, that’s gonna be fun to write. :slightly_smiling:

Part 4! He’ll be very young when he finds out.

Heehee, glad you liked it. :smile: The central plot of part 3 will have all of the main characters travelling through an enchanted forest together in a small group, which should give me a ton of room for banter and shenanigans. I can’t wait!

That’s up to the reader to imagine. All we know for sure is that Morgana and Tilda are about the same size as each other, and Guen is a different size – the difference could be large, or as small as an inch of height or width; Lancelot has a good eye for small details.

Yeah, the problem with the “show don’t tell” rule is that you can really hold up the plot progression if you let yourself get bogged down in showing. Every scene ought to move the plot forward in some way. For Arthur being a respected king, the main places you get “showing” are the council scene, where everyone treats him with respect and jumps to follow his orders at the end, and the army-camp scene, where he genuinely seems to care about, and be loved by, his soldiers. You also see it a bit in how loyal the guards Ranulf and Camden are. We haven’t really had any non-military, non-servant “common people” in the story yet, other than the crowds at the wedding – though they’re certainly happy when they find out Guenevere isn’t dead, so they must have some degree of loyalty.

As you say, there’s no canon, but he is (explicitly or implied) a lot of the time, especially in more contemporary tellings. The French Lancelot-Grail cycle goes back to the 1200s, and his relationship with Galehaut there is presented in such a way (they’re buried in the same tomb, for crying out loud) that it’s hard to believe nobody read it as homoerotic at the time. Though I’m no great expert on more recent Arthurian stories, it’s my understanding that lots of them have Lancelot in love with both Arthur and Guinevere.

I’m not a fan of microtransactions, either. Commerical publication is a long, long way away, but when it happens, I’d like to offer the option to buy each part separately or one big “deluxe” version with everything together.

2 Likes

Someone has probably asked this before but…

Does Morgana seriously just go on with the pregnancy?

NO, I’M PREGGOS WITH MY BROS BABY.

Oh well.

Herp a derp.

I mean…she’s shown to be like…chaotic good? Wouldn’t she consider dem herbs all the dark witchy ladies have?

And if we interact with a pregnant Morgana, couldn’t Guen try to convince her to do so?

I get Arthur could be all: No, it’s not the baby’s fault for existing- but I don’t see Morgana doing that.

Would magic stop them from doing so? Would it have supposed repercussions if they attempted to end things?

@Mim That conversation can absolutely be had, maybe more than once. Guen can try to convince Morgana to get rid of the baby (if Guen thinks that’s the right thing to do). However, the baby was conceived by powerful magic, and, as Morgana will already know, nothing’s going to be able to counter that magic.

3 Likes