Grand Academy II: Attack of the Sequel

Return for your sophomore year at the Grand Academy, which after last year’s faculty war is now under review for accreditation by the Board of Visitors and Overlords, and if that weren’t enough to deal with: your mysterious new roomate, each genre is being pitted against one another for a house cup, you’ve got a new pet, and of course…your mom!

Also, please remember to UPDATE your copy of GAFV 1–especially if you’re playing on an Android phone and using the standalone apps–before replaying to create a save.

Lastly, if in replaying GAFV1 you encounter any continuity errors, feel free to report those as well.

Directions for beta-testing:

Email me, jason AT choiceofgames for access. DO NOT SEND ME A MESSAGE THROUGH THE FORUM MAIL SYSTEM. When you send your EMAIL, include your forum-name, your real name, and the game you want to test.

DO NOT POST ASKING WHAT MY EMAIL ADDRESS IS. The first test to becoming a beta tester is inferring what it is based on the above paragraph.

(You cannot be testing two games at once. Send feedback on one and you can apply to another.)

I will send you a link, a username, and a password.

Return feedback TO ME. Preferably part of the same thread, rather than a new email.

I’m looking for “high level” and “low level” feedback. Not mid-level feedback.

Low-level = typos and continuity errors. A continuity error is when a character’s gender flips, or someone comes back from the dead, or you run into a plotline that just doesn’t make sense (because it’s probably a coding error).

For these low-level issues, SCREENSHOTS are VERY HELPFUL. If you see a problem, take a screenshot, or copy and paste the text that is in error, and email that. Also, the “BUG” button is great; but if you use BUG, make sure to say in your email who you are, so I can give you credit for the report.

“High level” feedback has to do with things like plot, pacing, and characters. “Scene A didn’t work for me because x, y, and z,” is useful feedback. “B character was entirely unsympathetic, because u, w, and v,” is also useful feedback.

“Mid-level” feedback describes things like grammar, style, or the use of commas. As I said above, I do not want mid-level feedback. In particular, DO NOT WRITE TO ME ABOUT COMMAS.

“I had a great time and saw only a few spelling errors,” is not useful feedback. In fact, it’s the sort of thing that results in you not being given access to future betas.

Some examples of useful feedback:

In Choice of the Dragon, you get to choose what type of wings you have: leather or scaled. Someone wrote in and asked about having feathered wings. Great suggestion! Done!

In “The Eagle’s Heir,” someone asked about Eugenie. They said that the romance moved too quickly–because she only appeared in the last third of the game–and wished they could have had an opportunity to meet her earlier. So the authors added an opportunity to meet her and start the romance earlier in the game (in a scene that already existed).

In “Demon Mark: A Russian Saga” several people commented on how the PC’s parents were unsympathetic, so the authors added a choice or two to deepen the relationship with the parents in the first chapter, to help better establish their characters.

Similarly, pointing out a specific choice and saying, “this is who I imagined my character was at this particular moment, and none of these options seemed right for me. I would have liked an option to do X instead,” is really helpful feedback.

Another useful piece of feedback: if you choose an #option and then the results of that #option don’t make sense. Like, if you thought an #option might test one stat, but it seems to have tested a different one.

25 Likes

Beta threads are for the editor of the game to post when there’s a new draft posted. We’re glad you’re excited about this game and/or wish you could beta/want to beta, etc. But that’s not what this thread is for.

2 Likes

New draft posted!

• Scanned all chapters for @{ code error (8/16 beta)
  • various capitalization and gender errors (8/16 beta)
  • stray brackets (8/16 beta)
  • Randomtest fixes: finaid dropping below 0 if you’re Fen’s TA
  • ch 2 variable bug (8/27 error reports)
  • Added ch 1 option if you somehow managed to import a previous game where you achieved nothing notable whatever. (error reports 8/27)
  • gender fixes (Jeremiah 8/27 beta)
  • moved stat equalizer to prologue so it doesn’t confuse people (Juan 8/27)
  • various typos
7 Likes

New draft posted!

• fixed Sci-Fi/Science Fiction variable that was breaking ch 6
  • fixed missing nemesis pronouns for Mom and Val
  • fixed nemesis auto-select in ch 6 (WHICH SOLVES THE AURION BUG IN CH 7)
  • fixed nemesiswinner in ch 7
  • distinguished between first_challenge_winner (the one who blows up your dorm in ch 4), genrewinner (the one who wins the genre vs genre showdown in ch 10) and housevictor (the one who wins the overall competition)
  • deleted “victors” variable; it’s the same as first_challenge_winner and was never set. Fixed the “unknown” problem in Ch 4
  • various typos
4 Likes

Remember to hard refresh, clear your cache, or use an incognito window to ensure you’re on the latest version of a game.

4 Likes

Could be really useful if at beginning A number is placed saying this is
For instance version 0.5 . Then with each update put the current number that way testers would be pretty sure that are reading the correct version

1 Like

The most accurate way to record the version number is via the About page. I can post that version number when I post updates. The current version is 17575.

4 Likes

Oh that’s really useful at least for me in a mobile or tablet.

v17619 posted!

1 Like

My version is in 17620?

:man_shrugging: as long as you’re playing the posted version or later…

3 Likes

New draft posted! ver. 17629M

-Added minion, commander, dark_kinistra, dropout, and youdied import variables to GAFV1
-typos throughout

Ch 0
-Added specifics about Phil
-added details about youdied import
-added explanation if you dropped out
-made sure every path has a Mom intro
Ch 1
-Added Aurion details based on previous game
-fixed Fantasy genre import
Ch 2
-added Aurion details
-added stat changes for aurion and darkboard
-added pet specifics (the way it moves and the sound it makes) to include throughout
-added pet subplot 1 - where you deal with DarkBoard
Ch 3
-Fixed Dev counterpart pronoun
Ch 4
Moved aurion/xi nemesis variables here; this should solve the aurion-as-nemesis bug.
Ch 6
-Changed tempnemesis from “unknown” to “none” to avoid everyone getting the tempnemesis language

Ch 10
-Fixed the Val-enters-twice problem

3 Likes

I sent reports about a bug that doesn’t allow me to go further than chapter seven, did you guys receive those? I am only asking because the latest version appears to have the same problem.

I don’t know if that is fixed–if you’re playing v 17629M, which I literally pushed five minutes ago, how did you get to Chapter 7 so quickly?!

1 Like

I didn’t, I was talking about the previous one. I didn’t see that you posted before I write my response. I will check this version, thanks.

1 Like

Also, it should be noted, there are two new variables in GAFV 1. So, you should (unfortunately) replay 1 in order to fully transfer certain results into 2.

1 Like

When exactly where the new variables added? I played GAFV 1 a few days ago, and was wondering if that might work.