Golden: Book One - [Updated 8th July 2023]

These games really do show me my true colours and it disturbs me deeply. :joy:

7 Likes

Seeing your true colours is why Cyndi Lauper loves you.

1 Like

Aw, thank you so much for your kind feedback! I’m super happy that you enjoyed it, alongside the mechanics of the game as in pacing - that really means a lot to me :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Ah, this story is only a year old and if in the future one of my ROs can be your favourite then I’d be pretty honoured. So ecstatic that you like K.

3 Likes

Guilty as charged.
Definitelydidnotromancethemahemahem

3 Likes

I also like B a lot, first time I played I went for him actually. Then I went for K and now I can’t get enough. I like A also. P is too tame for my taste, sorry. But he is a good friend.

Exactly my point! Your story is only at the beginning and you’ve got amazing characters so many people love already. And it’s your first book, I think you are as amazing as your characters!

2 Likes

Ah, that’s okay! We’re definitely at the stage in game where people will have their favourite ROs.

I can’t emphasise how much this means to me, these comments really do brighten up my day more than you know :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

Spent New Year’s eve playing the update and was glad I did, now I can go to sleep excited that the plot is moving in such a smooth, thrilling way.

Small detail, but I really like you put an option for smoking to be an occasional coping mechanism, it’s the first time I’ve seen it and felt validated in a weird way aksjdhask. But yeah, the update was really good.

4 Likes

So happy my story was part of the last of your 2021, and I’m glad you enjoyed the update.

And the smoking option, for so long I was excited to add it in to add a bit of realism to the story for the MC; especially with what they go through in chapter 8, so I’m happy you liked that addition.

3 Likes

I don’t know if it has already been mentioned but the choice of whether you are touch averse or not doesn’t make that much sense because of how far into the story it comes up.

Reasons It's Odd

For one that would be something, I feel like the MC would bring up at the party if not sooner than that.

And two if the MC is touch averse parts of the game before that choice would for sure play out differently.

It hasn’t been mentioned.

Someone suggested that I put a touch averse option in, and after writing that choice out, it was sent off to beta readers who gave me feedback on it and said it was okay.

There are flirt options that include touch, and if any of them have been chosen previously then the text in the scene in chapter 8 changes accordingly to that. From what I can remember, any touch that does occur allows the reader to choose or not choose that.

The choice is also worded as, ‘I’m not a fan of unnecessary touch from strangers.’ so choices in the beginning like hugging Melissa or taking her hand in that sense wouldn’t come under that.

I’m personally not touch averse, but for some, I guess this would depend on the individual and/or the situation you’re in.

~

Completely understand what you’re saying and where you’re coming from though, this will be something I review before publication.

3 Likes

I’m so excited for this game! You’ve done such a good job with the characters and I’m interested in how the mc will evolve. There were a few things I noticed that I hope you don’t mind me pointing out:

1. I wish there were an option to hug your mother and not have that mean that the mc and their mother have the best possible relationship with each other in that scene without having to choose the option where they hold hands. Would it be possible to have an mc who is considerate of how their parents feel and tries to do the right thing despite feeling hesitant and/or differently about it on the inside? So maybe something like an “awkwardly give your mother a hug” choice?

2. When the team walks onto campus and it says “— those are new students,” one of the girls begins. – somehow I found it hard to believe that anyone would be able to tell on a university campus with different faculties/programs who the new students aren’t and are. Is that because the team joined later than normal applicants? If not, maybe something along the lines of “Wow. I’ve never seen them around on campus before” would feel more authentic? Idk just a thought! :slight_smile:

Anyway, I’m partial toward K hehe so when he wiped my mc’s memories I was like :open_mouth: - but the scene where the mc can choose to be pissed with him for it and K gives his reasoning for why he did that was really interesting because I feel like we got to understand a different side of him. I rly look forward to seeing where you take this story <3

2 Likes

So happy you’re enjoying the game so far!

I think the choices are how they are considering it’s one of the first interactions in game, and the first one with one of the MC’s parents - especially as throughout the game you can increase or decrease your percentage with each parent depending on the choices.

Yes, this is because they joined later than normal applicants.

Yes, on my Tumblr, a lot of people immediately had negative views about this - but very few understood why it was done. I’m glad this scene was surprising, and it really was to see another side to K that they usually keep hidden away for people they really trust.

Thanks so much for reading the story, hope you stick around for more <3

3 Likes

Oooh what should I do I like my four babies :tired_face: but really thank you for the update I was waiting for it :purple_heart:

3 Likes

You do the same thing I did with Wayhaven - four playthroughs for four save games for all four of them (my wretched time playing through the love triangle shall not be mentioned).

Oh, I very much understood WHY it was done. 'm still pissed, though (also, I LIKED those clothes). I don’t know WHY K bothered, though, seeing as it was never going to take due to the birthmark as K’s fully aware of this.

EDIT: Just got something maybe weird - in my first playthrough I read the files for P and A, and those were the choices I got to come to talk with me in the breakroom. Now I picked P and K, and the choices were P, K, AND A. Is A supposed to always be a choice, or is the save system playing havoc with the data?

EDIT EDIT: Ok, just tried again reading P and B, and I get A, P, and B, so I guess A is just always a choice?

EDIT EDIT EDIT: Looking at the saves timestamps, at one point I stayed up till TWO IN THE MORNING playing this. What have you done to me?

EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT: Uh, actually… I guess the save system is borking the flags SOMEWHERE?

1 Like

It’ll obviously be spoilery if I reveal it now, but simply having the birthmark is just one part of the puzzle. Even though K knew about the birthmark, there are reasons why they thought the compulsion would work and why they bothered. And, technically it did work even though it lasted only for a few hours (usual effects of it not working happen instantaneously).

3 Likes

The options should be the team members’ files you chose to read. Definitely think it’s the saves as no one has reported that problem to me before, and haven’t come across it. Also, try clearing the website’s cache and restarting the game too, I’ve found that usually help with save errors.

Haha, that means I’m doing something right.

6 Likes

I did the same thing with soul stone but it was already released can you imagine how much I suffered :joy:

6 Likes

Golden Progress Update - 12th January 2022

A progress update at a regular time, woo! Go me! Thanks for the kind comments and lovely support on the last update! I really appreciate it.

I started my internship again after the holidays, so back to reality, unfortunately.

Overall, there isn’t too much to tell you about. I’ve just been writing away, coming up with ideas and seeing where they all fit in each route. I’m definitely at a stage where I’m happy with the stuff I’m writing, and knowing I’m finding it enjoyable allows me to keep my imposter syndrome at bay (sometimes!!)

Chapter 9 is coming along; it’s a chapter where the MC learns a lot of information about the supernatural world but you also see the team in a less bonded/playful dynamic - imagine, supernaturals have feelings! And you also find out who the team work for (← no, it’s not an agency).

Plans:

Write, and get to the coding parts of chapter 9.

Actually take breaks when I need to.

Stats:

Total word count exclud. code: 227,695 (+1,655)

37 Likes

That’s something that a lot of writers struggle with, so you are not alone in that.

Are you writing? Yes. That means you are a writer.

And a fantastic one at that. I’ve been impressed with Golden, and I’m fairly certain that others who frequent this thread are of the same opinion.

You’re doing a great job!

7 Likes

Work up!

Been there. In reality, I mean. Can’t really recommend it. Good graphics, but there’s loads of griefers. Also, I think you can’t disable perma-death?

We’re happy with the stuff you’re writing, too!

These means you’re good. Have you ever heard of anyone who sucked at something having imposter syndrome? Of course you haven’t. Imposter syndrome only happens to skilled people. Like being handed a bigger shovel.

Wooo, content.

Double woo, self-care!

6 Likes