Ghost Simulator [published]

They look great can’t wait to see Samantha and Amber

3 Likes

I’m getting Junji Ito vibes from these. Nice.

8 Likes

I LOVE the portraits and I feel the black/white, as well as the pixelated style, really works for the genre/plot of Ghost Simulator. I can’t wait to see what the final pictures look like because I already love how they look now <3

2 Likes

Really love the portraits. Can’t wait for Sam and Amber!

Summary

Should be Ollie

1 Like

As I read this description, all I could think about was Casper the friendly ghost.

4 Likes

Hey, folks.

The pixel artist who is working with me is having some trouble regarding access to the internet. Also, she does not know how long it will take her until she get this fixed. She took photos of the current drafts and sent them to me, and since these are not the final versions, I will post it here now:

Amber:

Samantha:

Sorry for the quality–I will update it as soon as I receive the actual portraits. What do you think?

@Red_Eyes
Funny that you mentioned it because as we were discussing the “tone” of the portraits, I told her I would like something that resembled World of Horror. Have you played it?

@Umbreonpanda
Thanks for spotting these errors! I will have them fixed.

Also, for those of you who want to keep in touch with me during the development of the last chapters, please join the Ghost Simulator Discord channel. I promise it won’t be (too) scary.

32 Likes

I loved it so far.

1 Like

Ghostly fellows,

I just updated the WIP with the new character portraits. I didn’t add further accessible content now, but I would please ask you to test if the portraits are working appropriately. (And, of course, if you liked them.)

(To test the different portraits quickly, you can change the Terror levels through the cheat menu.)

I am also aware of the fact that many players want freedom to imagine the characters in their own way, and thus the portraits could interfere with this immersion. For the final version, I intend to allow players to decide if they want the portraits to feature on the Show Stats menu or not. Either way, I avoid specific descriptions of the characters in-game.

Here are the 12 portraits, 3 for each family member:

Amber Brooks
01Amber 02Amber 03Amber

Samantha Brooks
01Samantha 02Samantha 03Samantha

Oliver Brooks
01Oliver 02Oliver 03Oliver

Michael Brooks
01Michael 02Michael 03Michael

46 Likes

Did you remove “god” mode?

2 Likes

Hey, love the WIP so far! I’ve been having a lot of fun with it.

On the stats screen, Michael always has two portraits shown for me. Also, in Chapter 3 when the party is starting, I am unable to continue playing when Ollie and his friends are getting ready to go upstairs to use the Ouija board. The error that dashingdon returns is: "chapter3 line 4840: Non-existent variable ‘trifork’ ". I briefly looked at your code and I think you’re just missing trifork in the startup page or you didn’t make it a temp variable in the chapter3 file, but I could be wrong.

Keep up the good work and I look forward to this one coming out!

3 Likes

i just wanted to say that i tried it and its amazing, i need more, and the author is doing great

2 Likes

The cheat that allowed all ghost abilities to be used was removed right? A pity, to be honest.

Other than that I have absolutely zero complaints, I’ve been loving every single paragraph so far.

3 Likes

For some reason it keeps showing up Error when Ollie and his friends go to do the Ouija board. Other than that I love the game!

2 Likes

This is so cool, a unique point of view and really captured my attention! I got an error message in chapter 3 that said “chapter3 line 3621: bad label amberwaits” and was a bit frustrated bc I wanted to keep going! Another minor thing, when I went through Micheal’s phone I didn’t have the password so I couldn’t go in. I later went into his dream and got the password, but was unable to go back to the phone to unlock it. Otherwise excellent game, really excited to see where it goes! Great job!

3 Likes

Michael has 2 portraits in the stats page

I also had an error page come up when the kids went to get the ouija board like Maria mentioned

3 Likes

Save and load system malfunction. My progress is lost. That’s for sure.

3 Likes

Definitely. Gets tiring when there’s an error or something and you can’t save,much less load and have to start from the beginning. Don’t want to skip chapters as I won’t have the status I want for the characters.

6 Likes

Hmm I keep getting this error no matter what I choose here…

also please add saving! Lol

1 Like

Hey, folks!

Small update with bug fixes and new versions of the character portraits. Also, players now can choose if they want character portraits to appears on Show Stats at all. Lastly, quite important: the save system should be working correctly now.

@E_Nyholm
Not on purpose. It was an *if command out of place. It should be working now.

@WallyWorld
The content after this part is not yet available, but it was an error nonetheless. Thanks! It is fixed.

@David_V
It was just a coding mistake! Fixed :slight_smile:

@Maria_Winfield
This content is not yet available–but soon!

@Luiza
Thanks for spotting this! It was an alternative pathway I just did not finish. I should be completely playable by the next update.

About the password bug, what exactly happened? You could not find the choice anymore? I looked at this part but could not find an explicit error.

@Gamer4
I updated the code and this should be fixed! No double Michaels anymore. But please write to me if you come across this bug again.

@Bulk_Biceps
:sweat_smile:
Would you forgive me if I said the save system should be working again?

@Mercz94
This is an unfinished pathway I overlooked. I will finish it and it should be playable by the next update.

11 Likes

The choice wasn’t available anymore since I had already looked at the phone. I don’t think it was an error per se, it makes sense that most of the choices you can only select once, but in this case it doesn’t make sense that I couldn’t try the phone again after getting the password.

1 Like