Ghost Simulator [published]

I tried this out just as I was going to bed, for a lark, thinking it’d just be something light and funny where you could go ‘boo!’ at some (maybe cartoony) characters and have a laugh to relax at the end of the day.

Turns out that an hour later and I was trying to comfort Samantha while she was deathly terrified of me and anything I tried to do to help seemed to make it worse, trying to communicate with Amber to help her mom and her own relationship, trying to save the marriage, trying to approach different characters in various ways to see if anyone could be open to communicating with me, trying to solve the mystery of MC’s death-----and then I was staring at the PLAY THIS AGAIN Y/N screen with the bluest of balls.

Pleasantly surprised, lovely characters, a lot of organic happenings that respond quite minutely to what you do (must be hell to code all those!), 10/10, will play again, pining for next update, etc.

9 Likes

Just finished playing the latest update! I have loved this ever since it was first posted, especially because I have the freedom to do whatever it is I want with the family. It feels oddly liberating to own such power. I have dedicated my ghost life to be as helpful as possible, helping them to clean the house (even though they’re the ones living in my house) and supporting/fixing their relationship. Similarly, I have also gone to give them the trauma of their lives. Both are a very enjoyable experience. Thank you for such an excellent gem! Looking forward to the next update. xx

Found a bug here in Chapter 3. Apparition is not my MC’s power.

3 Likes

February 23 update: first Halloween scenes

@LiliArch
Thanks! But that was indeed useful. It motivates me when I see people appreciating the WIP.

@dkdladmsdoslap

Seeing the way you wrote your laugh, I assume you’re a fellow Brazilian too? haha

Thanks! :smiley:

@Bugreporter
Thank you again for your valuable reports! I think I’ve got everything fixed. About the “Your bones” thing, it was because the variable “artifact”, which also shows up on the stats screen, was set as such. I changed its description to “collection of bones” so the variable can be employed in-game without further problems (hopefully).

@Snow
Thank you! I loved to read this. If you have any comments, suggestions, or if you do spot anything buggy or odd, please let me know :slight_smile:

@fuciphagus
Thanks for your comment! I want to increase the range of possible in-game actions further, but I’ll leave it to the second draft. I think this liberty to take whatever action you wish to take is a cornerstone of interactive fiction. I really want Ghost Simulator to be like this.

About the bug you reported: terminated.

12 Likes

No, I’m not Brazilian lmao
I’m Indonesian
I just thought that laugh would give more impact ehehe :grin:

1 Like

@dkdladmsdoslap
It did :sweat_smile:

1 Like
typo?

The A shouldn’t be there.

Haven’t checked out the new update yet, will be doing that now. I’m excited!

This part looks a bit weird

Not sure if it’s an coding issue or not.

coding?

First 2 whisper options both bring me to this:

Oooh, I cannot wait for the Ouija board!

2 Likes
I bring a bug

I didn’t enter his dream, so the mention about leaving said dream probably shouldn’t be there.

Do you mind fanart? :thinking:

3 Likes

@Nerull
In chapter 3. Typo in the option:
“Open a beer can an throw it at guests.”

And

Pay attention when then talk about the Ouija board.

They

But do you guys even know how does this Ouija -think work?"

Thing

Uh… yes," Ollie lies, turning to them. "It was one of Amber’s friends.

Put a double quote after the bolded word.

3 Likes

Amazing i love it

2 Likes
A bug I guess

3 Likes

Omg can’t wait for the ouija (sorry if I spelled wrong) board :smiling_imp: the shenanigans shall be glorious!!!

Also quick question; before the update,when I spoke to amber with whispers and asked “ Do you believe in me?” She would say Yes but now she says nothing in silent denial DESPITE having 100 belief, a bug perhaps? Unless intentional.

2 Likes

Oh snap, ouija board!! I feel like I’m gonna have more fun with that with the next update than any ghost ought to, hahaha, I wonder what we’ll be able to do with it…

4 Likes

Shouldn’t I be possessing Michael instead of Samantha?

2 Likes

@Nerull
When using the cheat menu the whisper power isn’t usable in game.

When the cheat menu is activated, in the section where we select our powers, choosing the whisper choice gives this error:

In the choice: Make samantha sleepwalk to the attic.

When she finds herself inside the attic, you leave her corpse, and she opens her eyes.

Body

2 Likes

February 29 update: third RO interlude

Regarding the cheat menu, I intend to develop it a bit more with the next update. Instead of “set something + 10 or - 10”, I want to let the player input a specific value. This will save up time and make some interactions easier to access, I believe.

@Ninja1
It wasn’t a typo per se, but a variable. I’ve changed the “artifact” variable description from “A typewriter.” to “typeweriter”, so it now fits passages like this one.

The Amber scene looks a bit weird, indeed. It had to do with some stat checks. It should be more presentable now :slight_smile:

About the Whisper thing, it was a coding issue indeed. I fixed it.

Thank you!

@LiliArch
Thanks for the bug! It was delicious. The sequence you mentioned should be fixed now, it was a pathway issue.

Of course I don’t mind fanart! I would be honored, really.

@Hostage
That was an issue with a variable check. It’s fixed now. Thanks!

@Gamer4
In this passage, I wrongfully checked Amber’s Terror instead of Belief. It should be fixed now! Thanks for noticing this.

@Kuro_Nikou
That should be possessing Samantha, but I think I got what you meant. I rewrote this choice to:

"I really think you need to work less. These night shifts are burning you out. You’re seeing and hearing things."

So now it becomes evident that Samantha is talking about Michael. Thanks!

@Bugreporter
Thank you again for your reports. It should be all fixed. Regarding the Whisper error, I just forgot to add “set whisper true” while using the cheat menu. :sweat_smile:

15 Likes

william is not my romantic partner

2 Likes

Love the update! I’m sleepy so I don’t know exactly how to word it, but the contrast between our ghostly self and seeing how we were when alive is really refreshing, and it also helps us connect further with our partner (Lily/William depending) and also to the house. Despite Violet not actively being there, I still felt my spite for her growing as well, heheh. I feel it gives it a deeper sense of history of the house than before, especially since we see our character actively living it.
There was an odd thing I noticed though, Lily (my partner) referred to me as “him” right after the devastating phone call. I haven’t chosen a male character to play as however (nonbinary if it helps?).
There was also a typo, a “goto pre” something, prehalloween I believe? I wish I took a photo haha…I was too eager to continue reading however XD It was right after the new flashbacks, when it transitions back to Amber preparing for the party and Samantha leaving the house.

Fear not, I got you covered

I have more, but I’ll send them later, when I have more time! Slightly busy now.

2 Likes

Jumped to Chapter 3 when finishing up getting MC’s 3 powers. I think there should be an option (if picked to jump to different chapters) to choose which previous ROs that MC had during the flashback. Really wanted to use the Ouija board to mess with Ollie and his friend. Once again, my MC is being helpful by cleaning and helping the Brooks. When will Samantha understand that MC is trying to help her? :[

Summary

white
This isn’t an error (i assume) but is it like military time? instead of the standard time?

3 Likes

for real. my mc slaves and slaves and not an ounce of recognition :rage: just love him already he’s basically grown-up casper

(i’m lookin at u, drunk Ollie)

4 Likes