Games You'd Like to Write

I only have one, but I need to figure out how to code first. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Price of Power

Price of Power:

A fantasy game about two countries, Alstein and Valferatu, in an age-old war called ‘‘Jihad’’. Valferatu seeks to artificially create aura, to what ends will they go to further their research? They’re thrust into the Alstein Task Force (ATF). The Task Force groups up recruits in a team of 5 and sends them on missions, from frontline defense to exterminate missions and the ATF rewards them to give an incentive to stay. The player’s conscripted to the task force and is placed with 4 other personalities and will need to survive the first few weeks as you may or may not have enough gold to feed/equip yourselves and uncover Valferatu’s nefarious plot on Aura users. Or simply ignore it.

Aura: Physical manifestation of a person’s will in the physical plane, using their bodies as catalysts
The type of aura depends on their personality.
Therefore your Aura will depend on your childhood.
Age of manifestation: 12

There are 5 categories of Aura:
Offensive Aura
Defensive Aura
Technical Aura
Healing Aura
Seeker Aura

I am interested in political games and I think this idea is wonderful.

I have played “hidden agenda”. I am also interested in the contents of this game.Please tell me the details of the game contents.

There are so many games that I want to make that it’s difficult to keep track of at times. I’ll just put my top 5.

1. Fractured-A Fairy Godparent Story: You’ve just graduated from a magical academy in a fairy tale world. But everything changes when a warlock casts a spell on the school and curses the land. Now all fairy tales are coming true, whether the story fits or not. You and a small group of your friends must travel across the land, stopping these fairy tales and tracking down the warlock.

2. I don’t have a title for this one, but you are a native to a small island located between two larger countries at war with one another. You’ve always wanted to travel, but you have a disability that prevents you from leaving. But you decide to go anyways when your older sibling goes missing and you’re the only one who believes they are still alive. The disability is one that you’ll be able to choose, and it affects one of your main stats and you can’t get rid of it.

3. I’m using “Shrike” as a working title here. You’re an Avis; a winged human, in a world where everyone is some form of humanoid animal. Everyone mostly lives in peace, but an ancient enemy has returned and is threatening everything. You have to go to each country and convince the leaders to aid you in the war to come, which is more difficult than it sounds. I’m thinking of making two distinct paths that you can go through; and which path you take changes what you need to do to get the leaders to help you.

4. You’ve just finished creating a character for a new online video game, but it turns out to be a bit more…realistic than you anticipated. That is, you’re now that character and need to survive in a world where anything and everything will try to kill you. Good news, you’re not the only person from our world there. Bad news, no one quite knows how to get home.

5. Crowned Dragon is another working title. You’re a member of the lower class who somehow managed to impress a dragon and become a rider, something normally only the nobility can do. As you learn to control your dragon, will the workings of the nobility swallow you whole? Or will your fellow riders be your worst enemies? All that you can trust is yourself, and your giant lizard who keeps eating horses you need to replace.

Please let me know which one of these interests you the most!

2 Likes

Ideas are in painfully plenty supply, and time for writing is usually the opposite. Nevertheless, here are some of the games I’d (eventually) want to write.

• You play as a gatekeeper of the world’s largest bureaucracy, Hell. Deal with Satan, the Antichrist, Cerberus, and the souls of the damned. You get to assign punishments, mediate arguments between angels and demons, and play with the local hellhounds.

• You have been hired as Death’s caretaker and mentor. You get to practice chess, choose Death’s outfit, deal with the ravages of puberty as experienced by an immortal being, set Death up on dates, make coffee, and generally shape the entire world through your actions.

• You play as a researcher of Philippine mythology. Combat and befriend mythological creatures, study them up close, interview witnesses, and make contact. The end goal would probably be presenting the findings/specimens to the world.

6 Likes

That’s some Matt Damon’s The Adjustment Bureau stuffs right there with the exception of it being light-hearted and comedic

I’m really lovin’ the first two concepts. I’m in the middle of rewatching Archer and It’s Always Sunny, so I’m in a mood for a black comedy that doesn’t take itself too seriously. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Sounds nice, in essence we get to be Quark, but with a shadier past on a deep space station somewhere?

Always anxiously looking forward to more of that, so keep up the good work. Ricky in particular seems to be a one of a kind first for romances in these sorts of games. :wink:

I like cheese, but from some of our previous discussions I know you do not share that sentiment. In any case just two questions, is the mc’s guardian demon cute and of the same gender and are they one of the ro’s?

To me it sounds more like how Rogue State should have been done. Still it does have a goodrevolutionary anthem..
The faction and presumably minister management furthermore reminds me of one of the first games I owned: Hidden Agenda, the former dictator you replace as a compromise candidate post-revolution was a “king” in all but name.

Why stop them? It may not be traditional but why can’t the prince marry another prince for example? If these are the kind of aberrations the Warlock introduces, I say find a way to work with it, rather than against it.

This one does sound promising.

1 Like

Playing with the idea of writing a game about an assassin on the run after successfully assassinating a king. It’s been a long time since I last wrote anything at all, so I’ll try to limit the chaos, and properly do research, worldbuilding, and outlining before jumping in. (For a change.)

1 Like

I’m currently writing Arcanologist (though due to events irl, its on hold for a bit), but I’ve been thinking of a few other stories in my down time as well. Also, I haven’t read through all of the ideas here yet, nor have I been on this site for a while, so let me know if anything here sounds too much like someone else’s work.

• The Contract You are a new businessman/woman on Wall Street, and life is going, well, for the most part, badly. Every one of your competitors always seems to be one step ahead, you miss every great opportunity by just minutes, your coworkers think you’re a useless slacker, etc etc. That is, until one day, a letter arrives on your doorstep. It doesn’t have a return address or any indication of who sent it. All there is is a note promising success. The only thing you have to do? Sign the innocent looking contract within. In your own blood. In this story, basically you would get your own little demon adviser/partner, but a mistake somewhere in the making of the contract leaves them only partially bound to you and you only partially bound to the Devil. Its up to you to use this to your advantage and take over Wall Street, or whatever else someone with their own demon might do for fun.

• The Shift Humanity has been confined to the center nine districts of a megacity for as long as anyone can remember. Each district is the size of a small city in and of itself, and is controlled by various politicians, businessmen, and organized crime bosses. You were born into one of the “noble houses” of district one, the center district, and as such, you were chosen to become a runner. A runner is a specially trained scavenger and explorer of sorts. Their job is to go out beyond the habitable districts looking for anything of value every time a “shift” ends. Normally, such a job wouldn’t be too dangerous. However, the city itself is nearly always in a state of rearrangement. One day, district 14 might be a suburb. The next, its a sprawling commercial district. The transition between the two is known as the shift. Through the story, you will have to balance your house’s desires with the needs of the city as a whole, along with dealing with crime lords, other runner groups, the threat of being lost within the endlessly changing uninhabited districts, and surviving the mysterious automatons that began appearing in the uninhabited districts. If you’re lucky, you might just find a way to stabilize the other districts and uncover the history behind humanity’s exile to the center of this city.

• Prophet One unsuspectingly normal day, a child is born. This child is you, the young son/daughter of a small-time noble. For the first few years of your life, things are normal. You train and study as any noble’s child would do. Then, suddenly, everything changes. An old threat from centuries ago has reawakened and the Great Kingdoms are once more mobilizing for war. And on top of all of this? You realize that you aren’t actually the child of the nobleman. In reality, you’re the reader of an interactive fiction story and that child is a character with their own thoughts and desires. However, they don’t know that you’re just the reader. All they know is that you’re a seemingly omniscient voice in their head with somewhat limited control over their world. Convince them that you’re a god, a demon, or just an average person reading a story, and help them reunite the Great Kingdoms and beat back the ancient threat or clash at every turn.

• Thief You are a master thief. A legend within the Thieve’s Guild. You are sent to the Kingdom of Kolvand to steal highly important military documents for the neighboring Kingdom of Asteria. While in the capital city, you successfully steal the documents and somehow take on a young apprentice at the same time. Soon after, you arrive on the border of the two countries, where the Asterian contact awaits. However, when you get there, you realize that the Thieve’s Guild has sold you out, and the contact is dead. The trap is sprung and you are killed as your apprentice hides with the documents in a room you rented the next town over. But someone else has taken an interest in these events. After you die, you find yourself speaking to a mysterious entity who brings you back to life. Meeting up with your apprentice and reading through the documents, you learn that the king of Kolvand plans on igniting a four way war and using the blood shed throughout it to bind a demon lord to his service. You and your apprentice are the only ones who know about the plan, so its up to you to stop him.

• Spirit The world is young. Its filled with terrible beasts and great, sprawling forests. The few intelligent races of the world are trapped within their cities, keeping the beasts at bay with stone and fire. As the years go by, these races, the humans in particular, force the beasts back, claiming more and more land as their own. And with each push, you, the Essence of Nature, must remake your sanctuary, lest the mortals find it and pervert it with their presence. Decades pass when one day a small caravan of humans finds their way to your newest forest, far from any other civilization. As you observe them, you can’t help but feel wonder when you see a young man using the Spark, the energy with which you and the remaining essences created the world. He uses his “magic” to encourage crops to grow, while his young mate uses hers to mend flesh and bone. But the best part, is that this group of humans doesn’t burn away your sanctuary nor does it put up the great and unbearably ugly walls that mark the human advance. Rather, they use the Spark to ward away the beasts, and live relatively in tune with the land around them. You get to chose how to interact with this group. Do you wish to remain an invisible, yet important influence on the forest and their village, or does your interest in this group of humans and their “magic” cause you to take on a mortal form and walk among them? Will you allow them to live in peace, or try to expel them from your forest?

There’s a couple other ideas rolling around in my head, but none of them are really at the point where I could lay down any real plot.

Oh boy. I started to approach the mere idea of doing something CYOA like with settings in mind that I already had created for RPGs. Those still do hold some good stories in my mind, but the bigger problem is keeping the original setting intact as I’d transfer it to Choicescript. Therefore there’s nothing happening there and these are more settings than whole story concepts.

Warlock In Szradovit, the Land Beyond the Mountains, dynasties of Warlocks rule the land, but it’s more than that. Their very magic is of the land, and so its rulers are inextricably linked to the very soil they govern. For three thousand years they have done so while the world beyond the mountains has at times languished, at times flourished on its own. But in recent times, children have been born with magic abilities not of Warlock blood. And yet, by blood and custom, all Warlocks are nobles in the land of Szradovit. The High King seeks to seize these new magic-users for his own purposes, having created Royal Orders to contain and shape them while the nobles lack a unified response. But the Warlocks are old and powerful and these wouldn’t be the first pretenders for them to suffer. For now, this remains a cold social war.

• The original plan for a ‘story’ was really just to follow a young Scion through a year or two of their Apprenticeship with a senior Warlock and slowly being led into the political games behind the veneer of civility. It would equally set up the world for further use as seen from a Warlock’s eyes.
  • In parallel, there was a plan to have the story of an engineer from the Royal Order of Demiurges (magical mechanics and electricians, essentially) as they go about taking on ever greater projects. That one would have given a view of the world at ground level though probably would have given in more to my love of architecture.

These are mostly stalled simply because I have a very detailed idea of how the magic works in that setting and I know I lack the understanding of the coding to make it work the way I want to. Also, going with the Warlock option rather than the Demiurge one, I think a lot of people around here might get skittish when you get to the human sacrifice parts (though every Warlock will assure you that they’re necessary to appease the spirits and ensure this year’s harvest). I’d rather people focus on the social change aspect than the grisly necessities of working Warlock magic.

Legacies is my low-powered (actually mostly unpowered) Vigilante setting. The city of New Rochelle has seen a cold war between crazy villains and sometimes gaudy, sometimes violent vigilantes for as long as anyone can remember. Now its Batman analogue who was mostly responsible for the balance of power is gone and that cold war threatens to explode into a hot one. The city’s remaining vigilantes try to prevent just that from happening but can’t decide on a course of action.

The stories for this setting are part superhero romp and part uncovering the city’s hidden history and dirty secrets with the first story delving into the power struggle in an underground society of freaks and misfits mirrored by the aboveground struggle of the Batman analogue’s former sidekicks and their groups of supporters. This could be spun almost infinitely though, either with an evolving MC who rises from obscurity (or even a criminal past) to the top of the food chain.

This has probably mainly stalled cause I’m viciously torn on how to handle the various factions in the backdrop. I’d love to give the player the choice to hook up with one but then I’d have to completely branch the story or, worse, rehash the same scenes with dynamic names where one guy from faction A is the equivalent of a guy from faction B in outlook and that would need a very fine level of adjustment to make sense and feel ultimately hollow to me.

Daedalus Falls is set in the same universe as Legacies but deals with the emergence of Mutants with a capital X. Over a hundred years ago, Daedalus Falls was the city of the future; a future that never came. Now many of its factories stand empty and the once swanky manors up on the hill are overshadowed by the tenements across the reservoir from them. And yet, in its history, every time people thought the city was dying, it managed to gather enough strength to limp onward; get a new influx of people, attract a short-lived industry, something.

Mutants, Evolved as they like to refer to themselves, might be that new thing. From across the United States, they’ve been trickling in for years now. Not as heroes or villains (though when they do get rowdy, things can spiral out of control pretty quickly), but just as a scattered tribe of people migrating to new land to settle. In that vein, the stories don’t so much deal with superpowered fights but with growing up and finding your identity. Drawing lines and deciding which side you want to stand on.

What hampers this one is mostly my indecision on where to start. I do have a lovely treatment I’m very attached to but it’s kinda more talking to you and showing you things in a vast framing narration than letting you play the thin story. I considered doing a Prelude which reuses some of the framing narration and is essentially the MC’s road trip to Daedalus Falls. Which has added advantages and disadvantages. Who wants to play a Prelude that does little but intro the setting and allow you to fine-tune your character before getting to the meat of things?

And those are just the ones I already had to work with. I’ve tried to come up with stuff more directly for a simple, elegant Choicescript story… but my mind doesn’t work that way. I’m a worldbuilder first and foremost, a storyteller third. I tend to get hung up on the intricacies of the background and its internal logic and consistency or, worse, a snazzy system to play it all out.

But them’s the breaks.

1 Like

I really want to write a game, but I fear it will expose some of my limitations as a writer, namely that for it to be good, the MC would have to be genderlocked male and all the ROs would have to be male too, but I’m sure there’d be some people who’d like that.

I’ve been toying around with a game set in an all boys’ boarding school because of this, taking the setting from one of my existing stories, and I’m still playing around with plot ideas. Like, I could do a classic murder-mystery, or a supernatural fake out, or something more down to earth mostly focussing on characters and their interactions.

I’ll keep this as a little side project while I work on my novels and come back to it once I’ve fleshed it out more. Hopefully this’ll fare better than my other two attempts at making a game.

3 Likes

It’s a great title honestly

2 Likes

You make RPGs? What’s your language of choice? I can’t imagine something like CScript would be optimal for trying to convey things made with C++ and such

I have two games I’ve been outlining but I’m really at the point that I need to pick one and focus on it (which I’m having a slight issue with).

Exile: The Mist Gate - (Medieval Fantasy) For the crime of becoming possessed by an otherworldly spirit, you are banished from your repressive homeland through a strange one way gate as many criminals before you have been. Now trapped presumably forever in a new world, you must learn to live with your possessed condition, navigate the society of exiles and their descendants that has grown up, and discover the secrets of the lands beyond the Mist Gate.

27th Century Arcana- (Science Fantasy) Set 500 years after the return of magic nearly wiped out humanity, you are one of a handful of people who are experimented upon and artificially given the ability to perform magic by a mysterious orginization. As some of the only magic users not under the control of the ruling government of the solar system, the abilities that you and your peers posses are sold to the highest bidder. Travel the solar system is working for and against criminal syndicates, megacorporations, and the tyrannical empire that controls it all as you explore the secrets of the arcane few have access to.

3 Likes

Sorta? I was getting a lot of inspiration from both VA-11 HALL-A and The Red Strings Club. If the game materializes, it’ll probably take at least a few cues from those games (although in The former case, thankfully less memes). Still working out a few details, like if I’ll include aliens or simply post-human “clades” and how far the MC’s backstory would go.

1 Like

Sorry for the confusion. I’m talking about ‘real’ RPGs, ie. literal tabletop, pen and paper stuff or (mostly these days in my case) one play by post venue or another. Not CRPGs.

1 Like

Honestly I’d love to be able to flesh out a sports themed situation. There’s a game right now that’s in beta that I would love to buy when it’s released that’s about baseball.

I don’t really recall reading any that were fully sports related, aside from maybe SLAMMED! which I was a huge fan of. Also added to the fact that I love watching professional wrestling makes it all the more.

Spike! - For me personally I feel that this would be the easiest for me to write. It’d be centered around volleyball, seeing an athletes journey grow from a child into the last years of high school.

I think in total I’ve played volleyball for about 10 years, for both school and club teams. Both my parents were great volleyball players in their respective units when they were both in the Army, and it rubbed off on me. I can tell from first hand experience the highs and the lows of both a student athlete and an amateur athlete. I stopped playing full time after I graduated high school, but still play from time to time.

Homeroom - I’d love to write one about plain old high school life, since I enjoyed those years so much. Whether it be through athletics, performing arts, or straight up academics, everyone has a story. Looking back there was so much variety when I went to my school, it’s like a forced mixing pot of people and personalities.

Suplex - Professional wrestiling that would be inspired by SLAMMED! Traveling the world, entertaining people, experiencing the life as if you were in the business.

Woo! Writing!

If I had the talent for writing (or programming) id want to make some of my dreams into games.

**Absolution** In a world where the supernatural is trending and Holy Silver Doors are made in china (hmm, whats that about faulty steel?), monsters roam the streets, killing anything they desire. Their evil is held back only by combined force of several families thats hunted for centuries in the shadows, now thrust into a global spotlight. You are the heir to the greatest Family of them all, only a few years from ascending to the throne. Wait, what did you just say? You've developed a cure for 17 different monster races? Akward. Join our young monster hunter as they put monster hunting out of business, for good.

Our cast includes:

1. Cana/Canaan, an 8-year old
    Hunting prodigy with a heart of gold and a sword bathed in blood.

2. The corrupted ghost of your mother, who wants to steal your soul with love.

3. An untold race of demon posessed monsters.

4. A succubus/incubus with a child that looks a hell of alot like you. (How does an incubus have a child? Duh, because science.)

5. A bunch of people on both sides who dont want a cure publicized.

Seriously though, I would like for it to have a darker more mature underside, underneath all this trope subverting comedy, about redemption and right and wrong and wondering if people truly change. Sorry about my original post, was writing it at 5 am with my tiny phone XD.

1 Like

I shall call my hellhound Thori. Yes please.

So generally I’m one of these people who is very good at having very good ideas, but entirely awful at implementing or expanding upon them to any great degree. Considering that my own WIP on here isn’t very far through at all I don’t know that having this many distractions potentially pulling my attention is… I dunno ‘healthy’ for the process?

Whatever, here’s what’s in my bunged up brainbox.

Luminous Beings - The Olympians
Yes, I know, I’m planning a series without actually having finished a wholly separate project, I just have startlingly poor impulse control xD But speaking of poor impulse control, I was always enormously interested in Greco-Roman mythology. You’d play a newly born (or awakened) Olympian, Titan or Demi-God and interact with Gods and Goddesses, monsters and even mortal Heroes with the chance to choose your own mortal champion on whom you may bestow gifts and blessings. I don’t know what it would all lead up to exactly, but one of the endings for sure would involve Typhon and the effective end of the Greek Pantheon. From there you would carry a version of the same character forward into the next gamebook The Asgardians. But we are very definitely getting ahead of ourselves there.

Timekeeper
I dunno whether you realise this about me yet, but I rather enjoy writing love letters to things that have heavily influenced me, I think it’s as worthy a reason to write fiction as any although your mileage may vary. Timekeeper is (in its present form anyway) pretty transparently based on Doctor Who. You adopt the role of an Apprentice Timekeeper from a humanoid race of time-travellers who discovers something incredibly sinister is going on in that order, steals a time capsule, runs away and goes up and down history having adventures. In styles it would be very clearly episodic and one of the things that I’d actually be very interested to do would be to take high concept ‘episode’ pitches from the community if they’d be willing to provide such.

There is of course an overarching narrative which, through The Timkeeper’s interactions with their travelling companion(s) would lead them back home to confront the oppression that they initially ran away from.

Have A Nice Day! (Working Title)
You play an affable, rather zaney but still incredibly dangerous villain who continually menaces a city under the protection of costumed vigilantes. Your choices would range from committing acts of mass mischief or larceny all the way up to really deplorable horrible stuff like lighting up firemen because irony. Basically imagine a curve or spectrum of Jokers running from Cesar Romero all the way to Heath Ledger and your MC falls somewhere on there based on what you do. By far the most underdeveloped of my ideas at present, as with Timekeeper I struggle to divorce it sufficiently from its inspiration but it’s definitely something I would like to explore in more detail.

I’ma go do some work on my actual WIp now though >_>

3 Likes