Newest update: Dec 27, 2020
Hi everyone, I’ve been working on this game for a few months now and I thought it might be time to share it with people!
FISH OUT OF WATER is a game about a salmon who was turned into a human by a young but well-meaning witch. With her help, you have thirty days until the next full moon to decide whether you want to change back, or stay as a human and embrace all the opportunities, joy, and awkwardness that humanity has to offer.
It’s set in a low-fantasy, lighthearted world, drawing inspiration from Ghibli movies like Kiki’s Delivery Service, Pom Poko, Ponyo, and Howl’s Moving Castle.
- Play as female, male, or non-binary
- Customizable appearance, to an extent–you still kinda look like a fish
- Embark on a quest to gather magical components for the spell that will permanently turn you human, or change you back sooner than the next full moon
- Make a place for yourself among humans, or reject all customs and be an unsettling fish-person
- Learn magic from your helpful witch hosts, or from another source…
- Personality and skill stats, shaped by your fish-influenced reactions with a new world
- Five romance options, and one hidden bonus one, or don’t romance anyone at all and make some lifelong pals
It’s currently at 30k words, with the final version to be much, much longer, because I’ve only finished day one of the expected thirty so far!
Apologies for the many dead ends–I know it makes it a bit difficult to play through right now, and you’re a champ for trying.
Content warning: drowning.
Thanks for checking it out, any feedback is greatly appreciated!
Dec 27, 2020
Minor bug fixes, (most) dead ends expanded or rerouted.
Current wordcount: 32k