Fields of Asphodel—Befriend the Underworld's misfit gods!

It’s fixed for me now. :smile: I sent an email to them and explained the problem. It was a bug which affected a lot of the stand alone apps from Choice of Games/Hosted Games, so they had to get an update to fix the problem. :smile: So you’ll probably get an update and everything will be okay @rahdbaan. :smile:

5 Likes

Thanks for the reassurance!

1 Like

You’re welcome :smile:

1 Like

Just finished my first playthrough, about to start my second playtrough. And this just became one of my favourites.
I’m really into greek mythology and I think out of the CoG/HGs based on that this is the best so far.
Good writing, interesting ways to explore “what if Persephone made different choices?”.
And there’s a sequel planned… Can’t wait for that to come out. (Given the word count of this game I really wasn’t expecting a sequel so I was pleasantly surprised at the end of my playthrough.)

Tho one thing was kinda weird/not how I expected: Demeter going on a strike seemed to be over too quickly. Or it feelt like that for me. I thought, that we’d hear more about it before we actually can do something about it. I get that Hermes as Persephones friend maybe tried to protect her from really bad news, but I thought when Hera visited the Underworld maybe she would share more details about this.
Compared to how bad things went in the original myth, it kinda seemed overly easy that we write one letter to Demeter and she picks up work again, despite still not being offered any hope for her getting back her child. (Yeah, I know in the meantime we get to perform one miracle in the mortal world if we choose so).

But I think it was really creative, interesting how you (author, obviously) involved the Orpheus and Eurydice myth into this. (And liked that we could even give it a happier ending.)

Also I wonder at the end, when it notified us about the sequel: Which Underworld ending did it talk about? Which would allow us to continue the game: The original myth ending half and half would that cover it? The one month on the Olympus and the rest in the Underworld? Or would we have to fully abondon Demeter to continue the game?

Edit: Maybe there are personal reasons too for me to like this game (besides me liking greek mythology). IRL I have an overly worried, often controlling mother too. Whom I still love, I just wish she’d take a few steps back sometimes and let me do my own thing. So we can say this “hits close to home” for me.

4 Likes

As long as you get the version of the epilogue that takes place in the Underworld, the story can continue in the sequel (so any of the endings you listed would be eligible).

And thank you for the feedback!

11 Likes

First off: props for pulling this off. These million word behemoths must be a lot of work, especially done well.

And this is done well. Might be because I am a sucker for Greek Mythology and beat Hades( and yes, I heard Hades’ VA in my head when reading this) so I’m already predisposed to like it, but this is a tour de force.
The charactization is stellar, the world building is immersive without being purple prose, lots of diversiry here without being overblown, and the emphasis on choice (as a counterbalance to the myth which…didn’t have much and the Greek emphasis on Fate) is made loud and clear with big points like the fruit and the finale, and in minor points like asking to be touched in scenes where you are going to be ( unexpected but appreciated and I assume very welcome for those that are impacted by that) or the way you say things mattering as much as what you say.

Only flaw I can really poke at is…that the prayer scene kinda…doesn’t lead anywhere after you deal with it despite it sounding like it did. Maybe it could be because of making a Chthonic temple instead of to myself, but actually taking charge of listening to prayers doesn’t really impact things in the end, though the temple did get a reference.

Overall, though, I cannot wait for the sequel.

5 Likes

Maybe it’ll come up in book 2? But this made me realise that there are several things that happened in this book, but never came up again:
Like the gift from the person we choose to talk to at the wedding. There was never an opportinity to use it later.
Another such thing was the Moirai, they introduced themselfes to Persephone even offered they services. But we never got the opportunity to interact with them again. Just some lementations about the concept of fate.
Maybe these things are also planned for the sequel.

2 Likes

When your have a man get forcefully married to a man, the option to play straight is a lie, even if they don’t participate.

1 Like

need moar cozy slice-of-unlife :slight_smile:

1 Like

You realize that gay people have been forcibly married to the opposite sex for millennia and that doesn’t make them any less gay, right?

17 Likes

Did you read the game? It becomes clear in a few scenes that the marriages is only on paper, nothing is expected of the MC in that regard. Hades only agreed to the situation to spare the MC worse. He absolutely does not mind if you want to pursue Alekto or Hekate.

Beside marriage is strictly speaking only a contract between individuals and says absolutely nothing about the sexual orientation of the people who happened to sign it.

9 Likes

Hi everyone,

Let us refocus on the wonderful game and not worry about what other forum members post.

Thank you!

4 Likes

Did anyone solve the mystery of what made the River goddess sick and how Kronos was involved

1 Like

As far, as I know Kronos cursed the river itself and Lethe as a Person was inflicted as Well since she is the riverdeity

3 Likes

Thanks, was your MC able to solve the mystery?
In my first playthrough Hades and the others told my MC who it was

1 Like

my character merged her Magic with Hades and we found out about the curse, Alekto found the place where the curse was placed, Charon finds out what the curse does, but from my experience from the Beta you can find out that it was Kronos when you Talk to the spirits, mostly Euridice, If she likes you enough

1 Like

Grats on the release! I played it and it was enjoyable.

Admittedly, I’m scratching my head over why Persephone can be swapped out in favor of Dionysus yet Hades is genderlocked. I get that this is straight up Persephone Myth, but if the original story was changed so drastically so the reader could play as male, I don’t see why the reader can’t also choose to have Hades be a goddess.

Other than that I really liked the game!

Every character except the PC has a determined gender. This isn’t unusual; even setting aside whatever the author’s individual vision for their characters may happen to be, gender-variable characters are complicated to code, considerably more so than a gender-variable PC in most cases.

8 Likes

Believe me, I understand that. My question about Hades is due to the specific nature of the changes to the original myth.

Dionysus isn’t a genderswapped Persephone—he’s a completely different god and not part of the original myth. So, if the myth is already being changed for the sake of reader experience, it naturally raises questions like, “why couldn’t Hades be another god or genderswapped?” It just seems like it might have been simpler to lock the reader into playing as Persephone, since this is explicitly a Persephone Myth.

That said, I do understand why the story is structured the way it is.

1 Like

So far I’ve only played this game with a female PC. How is the story/character different when the PC is male?