February 2024's Writer Support Thread

Thanks for the monthly digest, and congrats on getting a Steam page for Honor Bound!

I’m pretty happy since I made my goal this month and published my fifth chapter. Probably gonna take a quick break before knuckling down on the next!

8 Likes

Mission(s) accomplished. :dancer:

Today I’m so tired I don’t know if I’ll get any words in, but I’m about to try. (Edit: the way I’m feeling I might go take a nap instead.) I have to remind myself that even a few hundred words is progress. Last few days I’ve been able to hit 1500 words. Last weekend, I had the house to myself and churned out 6k over a couple of days. But the ebb and flow of energy and free time means I count any effort as a good one.

Thanks for the mention in The List, @HarrisPS! :raised_hands:

Happy writing, all. :herb:

12 Likes

Lol this is quite funny. But also, strangely true to life. Even terrible people can have standards.

(Also, so much easier to write/code that way lololol)

5 Likes

Updated Lost in your eyes, not the uhh… Not the err… The book which shall not be named :sob:

3 Likes

I’ve gotten a lot done this month, even with an extra day this year! I wrote 50k words, I’ve completed all routes for Chapter 1 and have started on the routes for Chapter 2. I also managed to wrangle my outline by hitting it repeatedly with a hammer. So far I wouldn’t say it’s complete, there’s some areas that are just Vibes™ but I’m feeling a lot better about where I’m taking my WIP.

My goal for March is to finish the routes for Chapter 2 and start on Chapter 3. I don’t think I’ll be able to work on Chapter 4 quite yet since I want to finish everything else before it, but I’m itching to get my hands on it… I’ll try to stave off from it as a reward later but man is it hard.

Let’s hope for another good month!

7 Likes

Joke’s on me, I didn’t realise it’s a leap year so I did the list a day early! I’ll add in any that I spot today.

Relatedly, I was going to save this “for March tomorrow” but since it is not March yet, here’s a good article from Greg Buchanan, who’s an indie/AAA narrative person who’s also a novelist and IF creator. I like the section about Aim for the pursuit of a skill rather than pure output which is something that doesn’t always get focused on when we’re talking about creating stuff (I include myself there).

12 Likes

Thank you for the shout-out, Hannah! I appreciate it! :grin:

As for my writing so far, I’ve written around 40k words this month which is probably the most I’ve written in a while. Since the premise of my new WIP is a bit simpler than my other WIP, it essentially writes itself as I go. Also, I’m trying too hard to stick to the core themes of this WIP, so I’m able to trim away a lot of arcs that wouldn’t add much to the story. Also, the premise allows me to write romance a lot more easily compared to Remnant 21 so that’s fun!

7 Likes

Thank you for setting this all out! Such a surreal joy to see Don’t Wake Me Up released!

14 Likes

You can blame me, i reached my month’s goal early, and i was excited to share with everyone, so i posted my month’s recap early.

As before, your time and efforts are appreciated, Hannah!

11 Likes

Thank you for the mention, Hannah! I’m excited to be a part of this community.

Also, first time posting in this thread, so I suppose I’ll share something. Regarding my WIP—it’s been better than I excepted. I received some encouraging reactions from folks, which is great considering the small word count.
However, after 6 days I’ve come to some realizations. Mainly the fact that I posted the demo too early. With midterms at uni taking up the entirety of next week (I didn’t take this into account when I was posting, for some reason), I won’t be able to return to writing until the second week of March, which really sucks.
At least I’m using the little spare time I have now on polishing the outline, which isn’t that bad.

8 Likes

I am super happy due today I got the posters made by a professional art designer I know. The posters are for the diversity jam.

There is a tremendous difference between working with and artist that working with a souless machine.

I ended up with something different to I was thinking at first and his creativity added much more to the mix.

Now I hope someone want to join my jam is a innovative concept.

17 Likes

Congrats! It’s always a delight to work with a professional. (Well, as long as the professional isn’t an unpleasant person.)

6 Likes

Well, I told myself that my deadline would be the 15th of March, so I’ll stick to that. Saying that though, I have made good progress on the side story, and I hope to complete it in the next few days. I’ll see you all in the March thread! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

8 Likes

I am very excited to announce that Last Dream playtest is over, and I just submitted the game for approval.

First, I’d like to thank everyone who helped me make this game possible. I love you all :heart_eyes:

Second, fingers crossed. Wish me luck, folks! :four_leaf_clover:

14 Likes

Ooh, the ides of Mach! What a great deadline

6 Likes

I didn’t finish Chapter 2 in Feb. But I did add over 50,500 words, the highest word count number I’ve ever tracked in a month, and did so despite several sick days and court case distractions. (While I no longer work for the charity of which I wrote:

I am a trustee of a couple of related UK charities, and they/I got pulled back into the fray a bit last month.)

Anyway, the last time I hit a Nano-style word count target was Nov 2022, and I completed a long-awaited chapter update in Dec '22, so let’s hope there’s a pattern there. :slight_smile: I’ll continue to be mostly absent from the forums until the chapter’s done.

15 Likes

50% done, even added a new goal!

This month has been okay for me! :star2:

10 Likes

Does anyone know how to separate your IFs from each other? Do you have a startup.txt then startup(1).txt or something else?

Because when I try to upload it into dashingdon it won’t upload.

4 Likes

I have completely separate ChoiceScript folders - when I start a new project, I download it again and start from scratch.

7 Likes

That It is wise! Years ago I wipe an entire project because I overwrite it. I did learn that lesson hard way.

5 Likes