Fallen Hero - Update 18 December 2016

That’s actually part of the appeal, I’d argue. A good storyteller doesn’t have to start at the beginning to make a compelling plot. It’s all about execution.

12 Likes

it’s a bit confusing why our “hero” turn into a villain. That’s the only downside i can find. Still 10/10 (This game actually took the 8th spot on my top 10 gamebooks :smiley:) Keep the good work and good luck on your current/future project you beautiful talented bastard :slight_smile:

1 Like

Why in the world would that be a downside some of US love being a villain and so on!!! Muhahahha!!!:smiling_imp::smiling_imp::smiling_imp: No but i think The confusion you are feeling will be answered soon. In the mean time! JOIN THE DARK SIDE!!! ^^ (EHM…we got cookies and cream…not full of deadly poison i promise =D)

7 Likes

@malinryden has actually said you can redeem yourself. I plan on going full antihero when the option presents itself, but the clearer our past becomes, the clearer our motivations can be justified. That’s what I love about this game. It’s so ambiguous that you can lean this way or that or just go full tilt.

3 Likes

I want my poison I will make my own side unless you guarantee its poison in those cookies real evil eats the poison anyway because they are more poisonous than it.
And I can always get rid of the body I’m using

1 Like

so many people hated me in my school because i often say before think, like i don’t think my sentences going to hurt someones feelings or made them uncomfortable but they are… What i’m trying to say is i prefer being love and adore more then hate and fear.

1 Like

Thats funny sort of, i was never bothered about hurting someones feeling i was however worried about honesty
So i would speak my mind and say exactly what i thought. A lot of people who were insecure about things ended up being conflicted about asking me things. while the people who just wanted to hear comforting things avoided me like i was the end of days
at least from Elementary to College

2 Likes

i guess that’s what make us unique :slight_smile:

I rarely play bad in games but because of that backstory damn I’ll walk the path of EVIL only to doubt and crack midway in the story because of Ortega and his “Goodness”.

4 Likes

I actually like how Ortega is able to make some of us – idk if a lot of us – go back to the “good side.” I do like playing as an anti-villain, like too far down to stop but never stops believing in doing the good. Which is why Ortega reaching out to MC is like //cue all the tears :))

8 Likes

Just want to tell you that perhaps this one of the best CoG games I’ve ever played.

What I really like about this game in particular:

1. Slow revelation of motivation of the MC throughout the game. This adds to the mystery and excitement. Also, most CoG would do this with two three pages of exposition upfront. Good job on being creative. I hope the revelation for the motivation reveal later would pay-off because this is very critical for the overall quality of the story! :slight_smile:

2. A well done set of characters/casts. While we have only few interactions with most of the casts(the main interactions being the Dr. and Ortega) most of them actually manage to be interesting enough to hold your attention. Unlike certain other superhero CoG games, you leave the casts vague enough as to make them not feel carboardish. Well done. Props to the MC though, (s)he is well written, and the choices are good and feels natural.

As closing remark, while world building is still somewhat vague, as most good superhero stories which are character driven, this is definitely good. I would certainly hope that you manage to finish the story soon. And I certainly wouldn’t mind if you started to write more games as well. This kind of games I am more than willing to support by buying :smiley:

9 Likes

So far… It seens as if my character will sacrifice their relationship with Ortega when it eventually conflicts with their goals. That will most likely be the hardest choice… But in the end, Ortega will probably have to die if she interferes… Sad but true, especially since my character is in love with her.

Since I am sitting and writing on this beast, I thought I’d share my ideas with you in youtube form. This is a sort of associative playlist for the game, including lots of parts you have not got to yet. Have fun seeing how my brain sees things in sorta chronological order. Do you have any songs for your own playthroughs? Feel free to share them, I am curious!

Common People - Pulp

I am me - Twisted Sister

The Threat - Skid Row

Don’t Thread On Me - Metallica

The Number of the Beast - Iron Maiden

I Love It - Icona Pop

Sweating Bullets - Megadeth

Hammer To Fall - Queen

7 Likes

So far, the following are songs I associate with my play sessions:

Forever Young by Alphaville <-- every time I possess my body double
I Dream a Dream from Les Miserables <-- learning about the MC’s motivations for being evil
AquaLung by Jethro Thull <- building the armor
Darth Vader’s March song from Star Wars Episode iv. <-- on the way to the Superhero headquarters
The Devil Went Down To Georgia by The Charlie Daniels Band <-- When I mind control and enter the mind later of the girl (forgetting name ><)
The Horse With No Name by America <-- the background song always playing for me.
and every time I interact with Ortega:

Into The Air Tonight by Phil Collins

1 Like

Every time my MC betrays Ortega, a manly tear is shed.
http://www.fhm.com.ph/images/cia/tearback.gif
Sorry Ortega my sis, where I’m headed now, I cannot let you follow.

7 Likes

I have way too many songs that I’ve felt fit my MC. :cry:

Helpless by Sir Sly fits my MC’s struggle so well. The feel, the lyrics, all of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdihudnIGLU

Chevrotrain by Dawn Golden doesn’t have any vocals, but the feel of it… If we could listen to our heads, I feel like that’s what we’d hear for my MC. Like sitting on a windowsill, looking out at the world but not knowing how to step outside in his own skin.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mki4vjcVuS8

I feel like Crossfire by Stephen kinda fits my MC’s motives. The one that’s more of an anti-villain than anything.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcsDG_jVYbc

A Quiet Darkness by Houses is what I figure would play if my MC and Ortega have an honest heart-to-heart about the fact everyone thought he was dead and that they grieved and mourned for him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHsZ6I6yuDo

Again, another Ortega/MC-centric song - Stomach it by Crywolf. This one’s more about my MC reflecting on his own choices and what he’s been doing and whether it’s been worth it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmEK31ghdFM

The acoustic version of Escape by The Kongos is what I figured would fit my MC’s (hopeful) redemption arc with Ortega.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6qHJZI2fw0

I could keep going, but I’ll stop for everyone’s sake. :joy:

5 Likes

This WIP is really good. While I do want to try and play a full on villain, the way we can play like someone completely aware that we’re going down a wrong path and yet still powerless to stop, trying to rekindle that last spark of good in you, I don’t know I just love it. And all the bits with the puppet those are awesome as well.

Sorry but i just can’t seem to not point out typos so here’s just a couple I found:

You know that nothing you are carrying can breech the armor, the shots you’ve fired had done

That way your bdy can sleep without any more dreams catching you unaware

her normal rates, but expertize doesn’t come for free. (think it shoud be expertise in this one)

Back in the day youwould have considered this to be a frivolity,

1 Like

I absolutely love this game. Didn’t think it would have such an emotional impact on me. As for my MC, she’s trying to keep her anonymity and no matter how much she still cares for Ortega, she’s going through with what she planned. I’m thinking I might have to kill him. :slightly_frowning_face:

2 Likes

@malinryden By the way, early in the game you get to choose gender of the hencman/mercenary that hang outs in Joes. This choice is usually reserved for romance options in most CoG games. But after certain point in the story getting the Rat King (s)he simply disappear. Is this intentional or was/will she supposed to have another role latter?

@Adrian_Hartanto - They will return and have a role later. Whether romancable or not is a different matter. I’ve nor played many games at all (just demos) so I have no idea how other people do it.

@nightflame - There is nothing I love more than people pointing out grammar/spelling mistakes, they save me SO many hours of trying to comb through and find them myself! SO thank you so much, and glad you liked ut,

@eunicegirl - I am trying to go for the emotional impact, that is what usually pulls me into books and such. Glad to hear that it’s working.

2 Likes