Extreme Ball

Hi, I just wanted to let you know that I get a nonexistent variable error for age (choicescript_stats line 8) when I try and check stats. If it helps I seleted age 13! Enjoyed what I’ve played so far and I’ll make sure not to hit stats in the meantime!

1 Like

@barryn
Try it now. Maybe a file didn’t load up right or something the first time. Should work

Works great! Thank you haha

1 Like

@barryn
I thought I heard a notification as I was just about to go to bed. No problem. Not sure really what caused the issue :man_shrugging: no sweat. Enjoy. Let me know if you come across anything else.

Someone else had an issue with the age variable, I tested it out on dashingdon when I got up this morning and it worked on my end, if you have this problem as well, let me know. It should have been fixed. Of course if you come across any bugs or glitches, let me know.

So far it looks like people are wanting your player to have a birthday party in Extreme Ball (poll in interest thread) so I’m going to go ahead and work out the coding for it whether it gets the votes or not. That will be the last major update for the game, probably for a while. Of course if any bugs or issues arise, I will work on fixing them as soon as possible.

I want to work on finishing out PI Heirless Wonder’s first chapter so I should have an update for the demo soon. After I’m sure there aren’t any bugs or issues with either Extreme Ball or PI, I’m going to start working on a couple of other projects (some interactive fiction; some novels) before I hop back on Extreme Ball’s sophomore year or any further story on PI. That’s the plan anyway. I follow in the direction, where my creative gears tend to turn.

I may make another poll in the interest thread to see what type of game people would like to see a demo of next. I have 5 others already started and a couple of other ideas for games rolling around in my head. My goal is to get PI Heirless Wonder to Chapter 3 for the demo and I’m not sure yet on Extreme Ball, maybe I’ll go ahead and do the whole high school career :man_shrugging: there’s no telling on a definitive time frame. Outside of working on these choicescript games I also write books (with only one out right now) and I have a few events lined up, since everything is opening back up. Feel free to check out where I’ll be at, swing by and say hi. 🧟‍♂:earth_americas:

I played the demo and I like it so far, but it did feel like I didn’t really get feel for the characters that much, I wouldn’t mind descriptions of them either, but I already saw that is something you would be doing. Look forward to what is next :+1:

1 Like

Social interactions are a work in progress. The full scope of game play is up to 15? years pro (probably split into 3 games;high school/college/pro) there is still 3 more years for high school alone.

Since it is looking more and more for people wanting a MC birthday party, I have already started the coding process (what have I gotten myself into :rofl:) just kidding. Not sure how to really word this at the moment, but I’ll try my best.

I had to figure out when the season will actually take place to be able to have your birthday party trigger if it landed during the Extreme Ball season. Note that if your birthday party lands outside of the season it will still trigger a party, but say for instance if it is before the season your party won’t trigger until the summer activities section. I am currently focusing my energy towards my other demo since it isn’t even a complete chapter yet, but I will work on the birthday party feature and test it out a couple of times before I update again.

I do have some major and minor scenarios planned for each high school year, but I plan on having the games play out differently to keep away from repetitive actions. I haven’t had a chance to look at it but I’m about to hop back on CSIDE and make sure there is a way to win State. I’m pretty sure there is, but I want to make sure. I’ll work on a description page for characters so it will help develop NPCs also. I tried to be fairly vague on looks on purpose, I am writing this in the hopes of thousands of people will read it and I can’t possibly know what everyone is attracted to (look wise) but I do have a general idea of how they look in my head.

As far as personalities go, they have been developing as I write the story. But the characters personalities will be included in the description as well. Plus I think I will code it to where you can unlock characteristics and interests in the description page also. Thanks once again for all the input, feedback, and support :pray: this game has not only helped bring a story I hope you all enjoy to life, but also improve on my writing interactive fiction journey.

1 Like

Love this game keep up the work but could you add a save system to the game

1 Like

@Jaden_Hairston_Reid I wished I had one implemented as well. Thanks for reminding me. I will work on figuring out how to do the save system. The coding is slightly over my head, which is why there isn’t one and every time I keep meaning to look into it further I forget to do it. Glad you enjoyed the game. I’ll make sure I figure out the save system before I update again.

1 Like

Yesterday I pulled something in my neck but I worked out the coding for the MCs birthday party, since focusing on PIs story was too difficult.

3 Likes

Update time!!

*Someone pointed out State was being skipped after winning the divisional, I believe I figured it out :crossed_fingers: if you win divisional and you don’t make it to State let me know.

Time to party? Okay, just a heads up, it is not a in depth experience, there was a lot of work to go into this. First I had to figure out what time frame the season actually takes pace. I decided on the second week of August to the first week of November for the regular season. Then with a with winning week 6 through 12 automatically, I had to factor that in as well. So it is mostly a place holder for a more interactive experience.

What has been added or changed:

• Saves? Hopefully that worked.

• Bare bone birthday scene for MC; mostly to add on easier before the next time I update

• Took out age selection

• Double checked and cleaned up any issues with coding for Divisional and State games

• Added a school scene in case you got a week 2 injury.

I have not tested to make sure everything with adding birthday scenes runs smoothly, so please let me know if something doesn’t run properly.

What to expect for the next minor update:

• I am working on a description page for all NPCs, which will update when you find out something about them.

• “Beefing up” the MC birthday party.

• Continuously fixing any issues.

Next major update will be Sophomore Year. I am working on several different projects at the same time, not all interactive fiction, so I don’t have a definite time frame for when it will be ready. I will try to release Sophomore year ASAP.

Minor Update: fixed some minor bugs, @Valixon pointed out the State scores show up as false, I done some code digging and don’t see why that would happen, if this happens on anyone else’s playthroughs, let me know. Screen shots do help btw.

Mostly just typos with codes fixed, some in the summer section. Mike was showing up during a make RO scene at the homecoming dance, which I fixed. Added more for the pool scene if you are dating Mikayla. Also changed up how you input custom school colors slightly.

Today has been a fairly lazy day, but I’m about to work some more on PI. Feel free to comment or message with any issues you are having. I believe @Valixon also mentioned something off with the MC birthday party, but couldn’t remember what it was. The birthday party was an after thought and a little tricky to implement after the fact. Mainly I made it fairly bare bones for a place holder. The sophomore and higher years should be much easier and smoother to do.

4 Likes

I really liked it, overall it’s a great game. I missed more dialogue, more interaction with the characters you know?

1 Like

@Kronyc It’s definitely a WIP trying to hammer out the plot and it was my first attempt at stat checks. Most of the characters personalities come more to life as I write. There will definitely be more social interactions and dialogue, mostly just getting my feet wet and seeing which project gets the most traction. Thanks for the feed back and glad you enjoyed what I have so far :pray:

2 Likes

After game 4 I’m undefeated but the stats screen only shows 3 wins and the announcer says we lost afterwards.

1 Like

@Xoromin
Thanks I will check it out.

1 Like

Played through the entire season, and here is some more feedback:

1. In games, I feel almost all of the decisions on which routes to run or where to play defense are just random shots with no context. Kinda frustrating.

2. I avoided EVERY social opportunity, but my charisma kept going up, and at faster rates than other abilities even though I practiced whenever I could (except once for academics)

@kckolbe kinda curious the exact choices you did to get your charisma growing faster than your game ones. It’s usually hovering in the low 60s for me everything else being higher. As to the randomness of the games and it being frustrating from what I’ve seen and played through it’s kinda the opposite for me I guess if I’m thinking about it correctly. Because if you use your best stats for the correct choice I can replicate good events time and time again. So at least for me I’m curious what your choices were and where your stays were going into each of the games. Yet I’m sure the author will be better able to help and explain things than me lol

I avoided all the avoidable parties, dance, and never called anyone to hang out.

As for routes, do different routes test different skills? Or the ones that are cover this person or this person? I don’t see any clues suggesting they test different things.

@kckolbe yeah that is weird that doing all that gets you higher charisma for me I do some of that but mostly I just focus on training hence why by the end of the game for the first year most stats are around 70 or more I try to get it all balanced out at 65 or higher for all stats that affect the games. As to the routes and the defending the players the choices really do matter and your personal stats play a key role. For me I have found what would be my primary playthrough, and I’ve tested various options through out pre saves and after saves lol so far only one game has been difficult to win for me and I think that’s game four but now I can easily win all the other season games. Divisional can be tricky but it’s winnable and will say choices in the character creation and in some games involving not only the mc but also a fellow teammate could derail your ability to win it. Yet if you can get past it and into the state game it is posible to win but it’s all about the choices you make. Plus to my knowledge you won’t get any clues on what is the correct choice for the games save there is this one time forget which game but it tells you where all the opposing team defenders are and I knew with what my stats were the perfect way to go.

1 Like

Sorry you feel that it is frustrating or random. The routes aren’t very random at all. I mad either to where run plays can actually be checking one of a couple different checks. It is a WIP and you’re feedback is welcome. I can probably add some narrative to make it not feel so random, although it supposed to feel like life, what you expect to be the right choice may not have the desired outcome. I have a few things to dig through for fixing or even just tweaking. I’ll definitely check out why charisma was getting boosts when it probably shouldn’t have. Some of the interactions during games will give a boost to charisma.

I tried to dig through this weekend but I also had an event so I couldn’t really focus on it with people coming to my table. Also why I’m just now replying. Your feedback didn’t go unnoticed, I’ll try to figure out all the issues asap, I have a few more things people have point out that I’ve looked into but I haven’t found out why it turned out the way it did for them just yet, a lot of coding was involved, especially some I haven’t ever done before and I’m also working on other projects at the same time. So I will figure out everything, hopefully in a timely manner. Thanks playing and for the feedback.

1 Like