Editing, modding...cheating?

Of course, I thought this was common knowledge?

1 Like

Uh… I’m not common?

Or just dumb, haha. I had always extracted -> edited txt and json,-> sign -> repackage,
or extract -> send to computer, -> run as if own game.

Neither allows you to upload saves, so I’m just trying out new methods.

When I first tried I was told to change only the txt files and no change ever took, then I tried different things on and off for a month while being annoyed that I was doing something wrong.

1 Like

I know it’s been a while, but thanks for the info. It’s really helped me get the most out of the game I bought. It worked perfectly for me, so yeah, thanks!

Anyone found a way to do it on iOS?

19 posts were merged into an existing topic: Why don’t authors include a cheat menu?

Second wanting iOS editing, anyone find a way to do it?

I’m more of an android modder myself to I’ll give you an ‘eh’ answer until someone more experienced does-- Copy and Paste the app, extract the contents into a random folder, change the .txt and then the json, matching the two up
(unless skilled/ willing to put in a lot of effort, don’t create another *set tag, just change a pre-existing one)
Then repackage as a zip, and use a zip signer to change it from .zip to .apk

Uninstall official app, install own.

NOTES:

You may not be able to extract on your iPhone (lol @ you guys) so instead root it, or take the easier option of plugging it in to a computer/ PC, doing the above steps from there.

You might not be ‘allowed’ to install your home brew modded version-- in that case (until someone else offers better advice) it’s probably better to CRTL-C-V everything from the .startup, .stats whatever files (.txt only, obv) into an editor (e.g. CSIDE) and run it on your phone, as if you are editing/ testing your own game. This makes it super easy to edit but may not have the UI or whatever an app offers.

2 Likes

I would like to mod games too but I haven’t done that before because i don’t want to disturb the way a developer created his game

Once you do that and get the deploy folder, how do you edit stats? I tried editing “mygame” in notepad++ but the stat changes I made didn’t stick. Is there another step or am I editing the wrong file?

This is for Choice of Robots if that changes anything?

Sorry for the separate reply previous post is still pending cause I’m a new user

That’s not something I can help with but hopefully, others can point you in the right direction.

Thought I should add this since this is a general editing saves discussions. I figured out a way to edit save games on Steam.

For me the 7Zip method only let me acess scenes, and showed me if I would be able to successfully pass a stat roll with my current build. For this method we’re directly editing the SaveGame.

All you need is a programing text editor. First you need to locate your Steam folder. In Windows this is usually in Program Files (86) folder. But you can also right click on your game, and find the folder containing your game. Once you find the Steam folder look for a folder called userdata. You’re going to be looking through these numbered files, specfically in the remote files, until you find a file with your game’s name in it.
Easier way is just to find the game’s ID, especially if you have a huge library. You can usually look this up online by searching the name of your game and its Steam ID.So for example if I’m looking to edit Rent A Vice, I can look up ‘Rent a Vice Steam ID’. Then when I look in my userdata, I’ll just need to look for the coresponding number of the ID to quickly find the folder. Click the remote folder, and
inside you should see a couple of files. Open the files with you text editor/ programming editor of choice, and mess with the variables as you see fit. Since you’re directly editing your save, your new variables will appear in your current save, without having to start over because you only edited up the startup values.

7 Likes

A quicker way to find the ID is by:

1. Right click on the game in your steam library
  2. Click properties
  3. Create desktop shortcut
  4. Right click on the shortcut, click properties
  5. In the target field, it should look like steam://rungameid/XXXXXX

Also, a good text editor to use is Notepad++, from my experience.

3 Likes

There is easier method, just change in Steam setting to show http address whenever possible and look at it on the game page. Or just find it in non-steam browser on first place.

I edit the games on my phone all the time, for Android all you have to do is backup the APK file then unzip it and edit the .json files. For example: create dark_magic 0 -> create dark_magic 100. Then rezip the files and rename the zip to something.apk and use zipsigner. Although some games are harder than others, some authors use a percentage numbers while others use a normal one. The games that use percentage numbers usually allows values over 100 while games that use normal numbers sometimes won’t let you, so if the value goes over 100 the game crashes

Is there a way to do this on an iPhone?

i have been able to find the apk of guns of infinity using apk editor but i don’t know what values to change

It’s the other way around.

% numbers = “fairmath” = has a minimum and maximum cap. max is capped at 99, and the game crashes if the score is over 99 when it tries to do a fairmath adjustment on it. As long as you use only fairmath to adjust stats there is no chance of this happening since fairmath doesn’t take a score beyond its min and max values.

“Normal” math isn’t capped and never causes the game to crash by itself, but it can take a stat score into territory that will cause “fairmath” to crash the next time it is used.

This is why it’s a bad idea to use both fairmath and normal math stat adjustments on the same stat score past the very beginning of a game since normal math adjustments can take a score above 99 or below 1, and then the very next fairmath adjustment will cause the game to crash.

4 Likes

Just a little tip, if you want to make bigger changes (edit a choice, add a whole new line of code, create a kind of cheat menu, etc.) it’s much easier to just out the .txt files into CSIDE or an editor and play it there-- as it can be very confusing and annoying to make major changes to the .json files.

Oh and if you’re making changes, make sure you’re actually trying to edit in the unzipped version-- I’ve wasted a while making changes whilst browsing the apps files unzipped