Dragon Racer (Discussion)

I try to romance Shader and i’m at the part when i visited him in the cave and talked about theoretical crushes. After that i visited Nyx and chose ‘friends’ option. Then there was a scene to hang out with two people and game told me it would be good moment to ask for romantic advice. Either go to Shader and Cass or Alisson and Nyx. Since i want to romance Shader, i chose to go to Allison and Nyx for advice, bet when i approached them my only option was “Never Mind” and i went to sleep. Is that correct with his romance path or i did something wrong?

1 Like

No it was a bug that I had to fix.

@ToxicDreams my only complain about the game is the choices that goes
wrong choice
true choice
wrong choice

im not a fan of false choices (i call them false choices because they are predetermined and no matter how high your stats are you still fail, for example, you have a choice to speed up and pass a rival, you have high speed yet the choice is determined as wrong and you end up failing even though your skill is high), i hope the 2 book the choices are more based in the stats rather than wrong / true predetermined outcomes, i tryed to do a hard turn with my dragon and end up failing when my dragon and my mc have amazingly high stats for maneuver and speed etc… kinda dissapointing that aspect.of the game.

7 Likes

Sorry, didn’t know. But. Hey. That. Is. Fun.

I also want to figure that out

Unpopular opinion: I really love Saren. I hated him at first and wanted nothing more than to punch his teeth out, but after replaying, and choosing to romance him, I absolutely adore him and feel really bad. He cheated, but it was to make his father proud cuz he was abused and wanted to prove his father wrong.

I can’t wait til the second book where I can fully experience his romance. I love him so much!!

3 Likes

Same here, what he went/is going (?) through doesn’t excuse him of his actions but it makes them more understandable, and if you befriend him he realizes his mistakes and apologizes stuff so… YAY character progress lol I’m glad I’m not the only one that likes him and can’t wait to romance him

Echoing the above posts, I adore Saren as well. His growth is really rewarding to see, if you give him a chance. And oh my god, the moment on the camping trip when he decides to rest his head in MC’s lap and is all ‘yeah you don’t really want me to move’. You cocky little bastard, let me love you.

I also come bearing bug reports, but nothing too serious. First off, I got some repeating text here…

DRbug3p

Then during a race, MC apparently got so distracted by Saren that he forgot his dragon’s name. Twice!

DRbug4

DRbug5

Lastly, I’m not sure this one is actually a bug, but it does seem like an odd statement, since it takes place after MC already has invited Saren to hang out with them, when the gang went to the tavern.

Lastly, a question - does it matter what position you elect to take in the team? I’ve tried both Protector and Aggressor, and didn’t spot a difference in how things played out.

2 Likes

No, but it will in the second book. A lot of the things that don’t seem to matter now, will in the second.

1 Like

This is one of the best CoG I’ve played in a while. Not to say that recent releases such as Chronicon Apocalyptica is bad, but this reminds me of The Lost Heir trilogy.

What Dragon Racer falls flat compared to TLH though, is the diverging paths. TLH does a fantastic job in giving you agency to build the character you want, and it’s rare you’ll run into continuity problems where your choice doesn’t line up with the story told. However, it’s pretty clear that you’re meant to play Dragon Racer as Good/Golden Dragon/Magic. Try any other branch, and you’ll likely run into bugs that breaks the gameplay experience.

Also, trying to be Evil is like dreaming to become Lex Luthor, but discovering that you’re just roleplaying a snotty, whiny brat who turns you off completely five minutes into the game. It’s why I normally dislike Good/Evil meters in CoG: the game’s brand of good and evil never truly matches yours. For example, I think that killing a bad person to save a good person constitutes as good karma. In this game though, it is almost certainly going to be bad karma. The difference in moral belief is jarring to say the least.

Other than that, the game’s has a fantastic story, incredibly detail, meticulous character building so on and so on. This could easily be an novel and I’d still buy it if I find it in a book store. Fantastic stuff.

6 Likes

I visited your tumblr page and on roa characters page there is only Nyx and no other character

And her bio is in latin???

Because I haven’t drawn anyone else besides her and her bio was filled with spoilers so I had to wait. One of these days I’m going to finish drawing them . . . one of these days.

3 Likes

Oh, good! I’m already excited, even though I know it’s probably going to take years to write. Wish I had a time machine!

Here’s a couple more bugs I spotted on the last playthrough, again nothing major but I know I’d want them pointed out, if it were me.

Firstly, there’s some text missing here…

DRoddtext1a

I looked through the game’s code, and I’m guessing everything from ‘so, what’s your problem today?’ onwards should be viewable to everyone, not locked to black dragons.

DRoddtext1b

This bit made me wonder if I’d missed something too…

And it looks like Shader’s response ought to be tied to the ‘was it worth it?’ choice, rather than following directly on from Nyx’s paragraph?

Also I noticed that at the start of each chapter you’ve got a bit of code to keep certain values in check, and there’s a lower limiter for Saren but not an upper limiter. Which means that if your taste in men is as disastrous as my MC’s is, you can end up finishing the game with stats like this…

DRtoomuchlove

9 Likes

. . . staring at the Saren one . . . but . . . how . . . really . . .

I just . . . never thought someone could get that high . . . kudos to you for proving me wrong my friend lmao!

Thank you as well for the errors.

I’ve replayed this game so many times now, incredible!

Becoming Sarens friend and then beating him 1 v 1 in the ring race is one of the top satisfying moments I’ve had in a CoG.

Oh and a question about an item: Does the pink dye change anything besides color?

No…you will get some specific dialogue according to your dragon colour if you choose to go to your team before the team cup

Same here… I first thought I messed up with his romance path because I didn’t do his way when it came to the green dragon. And I was so frustrated when ever his name didn’t appear in the romance options or were grayed out. it’s just that I like playing as a male more most of the time and I like cassius the best. Argh…

@Logan_T, your answer.

He is a wonderful force of chaos and I would die for him :heart: (and on a technical note, I think it had surpassed 100% by the start of Campfire Days, so that’s where I’d start putting a limiter)

Also, I was a bit hesitant to mention this in case someone jumps in and argues, but thought a public show of support would be better than a private one? I saw you’ve been getting pressure, especially on Tumblr, to change Saren’s orientation from gay to bi, and was glad that you stood your ground. It’s hard to articulate why without going off on a tangent about queer representation in video games, which doesn’t belong in this thread, but thank you.

8 Likes