Does anyone else enjoy romance in stories even though it reminds them how lonely they are in reality?

Sigh

20 Likes

Depends on the RO

2 Likes

I don’t need romance in my life

But I love reading IFs with romance themes :grin:

23 Likes

Thats exactly why i like romance so much

8 Likes

Bruh

3 Likes

I guess the question is whether that part is a bug or a feature.

10 Likes

For me it’s not romance but other things. Particularly strong friendships and a successful career.

8 Likes

I mean you didn’t have to point it out lol.

17 Likes

how will we get the angst otherwise? :sweat_smile:

11 Likes

They are bittersweet for me. On some days it really helps me out. On other days it make it worse and I scream internally “Lies! All lies!” at the screen.

13 Likes

So far I haven’t experienced feeling lonely after reading a good romance book since RL love life is more complicated than in IF. :sweat_smile:

But I do feel envious of strong friendship found in media like in one of the Kdramas I watched (Hospital Playlist in fact.)

5 Likes

This is more just relationships in general tbh. I play a game with good romantic/platonic relationships and then I go back to staring at my Steam library or scrolling through Netflix while actively avoiding social media so I don’t have to see how well everyone else is doing. :smiling_face_with_tear:

4 Likes

28 Likes

Yep and I’m not ashamed to admit it.Dan Schmidt in Tin Star was the first ro I ever fall in love with and I wish I was married to that guy.:face_exhaling:

3 Likes

I’m married, so not lonely. Though I do enjoy romance in stories. But I hate the “fade to black” cliché. Either do a romance right, or don’t do it at all.

5 Likes

“Fade to black” isn’t a cliché, it’s a legitimate storytelling choice for authors and/or readers who are uncomfortable with explicit sex scenes (which can include discomfort with specific dynamics or acts). And not everyone would agree that sex, explicit or otherwise, is a necessary part of doing romance “right.”

22 Likes

Sure IRL relationships are cool and all… but y’know what’s cooler… the Raquel route in a certain IF… therefore IF trumps IRL :joy:

I’m aromantic so no. I read them because I enjoy the fiction but would never actually want it for myself (though I also don’t self-insert in these so its kinda moot). I’d be in trouble if CoGs/HGs ever focused solely on friendships though xD.

8 Likes

ezgif.com-optimize

7 Likes

It helps with the loneliness… Watching my mc fall in love, make gestures of affection to R.O. 's, Laughing at the mistakes i did with my mc at a skill check. Hahahaha :rofl:

4 Likes