Does anyone else enjoy romance in stories even though it reminds them how lonely they are in reality?

I always do this. Even friendships. It is a form of escape from what problems are happening to me in the real world.

2 Likes

Are u ok?

Loneliness usually got more about how we develop our sense of empathy than romantic feelings

To feel Loneliness is to build a garden Within our Soul knowing no one can see it.

It is to Love a lot of things, things that makes us feel the beauty in this world and have no one to share it.

Romantic love, in other hand, is to have someone to walk by our side as we grow old. To hold the hand of someone who is afraid and tell that there is no fear to be in the dark for you are there for someone.

Loneliness does not necessarily means the absence of romantic relations. Iā€™ve got a beautiful girl by my side, but often I struggle to the fact that I can not find ways to share with her life experiences, places and things that I love. She is her own human being, with her own world view, values and bias. For as much as Iā€™d love to make her, she can not see the Inner Garden.

But still not aways we can share our sensations and memories. To live is to realize that we are growing old alone. And as we grow old, our responsibilities and personal life force us to stop experiencing what we love, to stopping having contact with the people we grew with. To stopping being what we once have been.

Loneliness is the result of growing up. Is the life preparing us to death.

But even if we eventually all will die. Its harder to wait for that day without someone to make Laugh, to make feel kindred melancholy over bygone days, to share memories of things we cherize.

I consider myself a lonely man. But that is a trait in my family. We are stoic and prone to shut down in ourselves. But I suspect normal people in general suffers solitude rather than find it just part of life. I dunno.

6 Likes

lmao yes, heck one of the biggest reasons (besides escapism) i play ifs and vns (and any game with romance options) is because of it :joy:

2 Likes

As a 38-year-old loveless single straight man, I still am drawn to romance stories, especially visual novels. They particularly inspire me to be a better man who will someday have the girl of my dreams.

And yes, I have a younger brother whoā€™s now happily married and has a child, who is also my niece.

8 Likes

Yeah but overhead pressing makes the sad and lonely voices go away

I do enjoy it, simply because there are no real responsibilities. I can fuck around with my guy creating hellish situations everywhere in a blaze of glory, or be the most respectable and stoic character, dealing with it as clearly, cleanly and brutally as I wish. True, itā€™s a fictional character, and therefore doesnā€™t represent reality, but if i was looking to recreate myself in a game, iā€™d play the game of life instead of reading cyoa books on here.

2 Likes

As a woman who has been married forā€¦ a long timeā€¦ the romances in games donā€™t make me lonely. I tend to avoid games without romances.

My husband has now gotten into playing some of the romance-centered games, too, but insists I read them to him and let him make the choices for his characters (and we laugh our asses off at it, because his characters always choose the worst things and have their own additions to whatā€™s being said!). He does what @JuliusCaesar said, and makes most of his characters jerks, and itā€™s pretty funny. I tend to RP more seriously, taking a lot of time developing my characters and getting invested in what happens to them, but his ā€œletā€™s make this as fun as possible and torment the ROsā€ attitude has started making me laugh at things in these games that actually piss me off when I RP them.

I think what worries me with romances in games is that people who are not with someone can get unrealistic expectations for ā€œromanceā€ from them. I read some of the lines and am like, ā€œNo one freaking talks like this!ā€ Maybe someone does somewhere, but when the dialog and behavior seem to be pulled right out of a 1930s dimestore romance novel, I tend to cringe and start being concerned that, if thatā€™s what readers are looking for, they may spend a long time being disappointed. If my husband had been so overly corny with me, Iā€™d have headed for the hills instead of marrying his snarky ass.

10 Likes

Please master teach me!

I would love to get my girl into CYOA games. But she only read in portuguese and Spanish. Urhg

1 Like

You called me out dude lmfao. But, yeah i definitely relate to this. I used to suffer extremely severe social anxiety and was unable to talk or interact with anyone. I found a lot of comfort in it and enjoyed the small bits of happiness I gained from it. It kinda an escape from real-life shā€”

Maybe try reading them to her in Portuguese or Spanish? My husband wanted to play because I was always yammering about the games, so it got him interested. Plus, getting me to read them to him keeps me from zonking out in the car when we go see my mom, lol.

2 Likes

Thanks I will try that.

I can even roleplay it as training for when I have to read bedstories to our kids someday. Ha ha!

2 Likes

One thing that makes it fun, too, is that I act out the parts (makes it funny for both of us, lol). And he willā€¦ ad libā€¦ his responses, too. Basically, weā€™re goofy as hell. :crazy_face:

2 Likes

And now I see how your relationship is going on.

Hmm. I think you just told me how to write good couples.

2 Likes

Yes, it really does. Now this topic does too.

2 Likes

Yup, just become a disney villain full of bitterness and hate and that will solve everything-- :broken_heart:

3 Likes