Disliked Elements, Mechanics, and Tropes

But aren’t you ever in a position where it’d be needed to know which Hannah is talked to? (I know I could have used some clarity in that vein in school.)

In times like that, people with the same name would tend to use nicknames or abbreviations. I went to school with 3 different Daniels. One went by Danny, another went by Dan, and the other went by Dandy.

Which is what I meant with “the little song and dance around who is addressed in what way” and which annoys me when it doesn’t happen and everyone is called Daniel regardless.

2 Likes

It could turn into a coding nightmare from hell if you acknowledge the fact that there is more than one person with the same name.

Personally, I don’t think it’s worth the effort. Give a warning to the reader and if they choose to continue, it’s their problem if they can’t understand who people are talking to or about. Or, just don’t give the option.

I do think it’s cool to have certain names that have certain story references or change certain things about how people react to the MC or whatever. Even if it’s just tying to lore within the world.

12 Likes

I’m gon’ be honest. As someone who already writes variations of variations, sometimes of variations, I collapse at the thought of adding another variation to my variation to my variation because of the MC’s name

12 Likes

Hero Unmasked! is quite elegant about it, I think.

I hate it when there are dogs and cats in the game, but you can’t pet them. Obviously this automatically gives the game an overall score of 0/10.

17 Likes

Now I feel like I have to add the option to pet Valentine’s cat once you get to their apartment :skull:

1 Like

:slight_smile:

11 Likes

As someone who’s a victim of a failed marriage (specifically, my father had a relationship with another woman, which led to my mom dying of complications from UTI born from worry), I am wary of, and even loathe, stories that involve cheating/adultery/cuckolding. For fellow anime fans, it’s called netorare/NTR. Combine it with the “ugly bastard” tag and it’s more repulsive. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

6 Likes

On the flip side, the player character shouldn’t automatically become a gooey mess when they see a cat or dog. If an animal is introduced, the player should always have the choice how to react/act.

10 Likes

I hate it when there are dogs in the game and you either have to be nice to them or there’s no non-dog options that aren’t clear “I’m a huge jerk” options.

I mean, I don’t want to abuse all the dogs or whatever, it’s just dogs are the worst type of pet and I hate when games just go “HERE’S A DOG. YOU LIKE DOGS. DEAL WITH IT.”

21 Likes

I think Fernweh Saga author did quite well when it comes to mc’s attitude towards the dog.

Though… some RO’s gave strange looks when MC showed they want to stay away from the dog. But I found it funny xd

As cat person: why all this obsession with dogs?

PS for the record I also had a dog for a while

6 Likes

Fish person: I don’t know why this obsession with dogs and cats

2 Likes

Cat person: dogs are very loud and I dislike loud noises. Thus in most games with dogs I prefer to avoid them like a plague and heavily dislike author forcing me to adore them.

1 Like

May i present: Foxes!

They are canines, yet act like cats. The best of both worlds. Also they’re too blummin cute!

5 Likes

As a cat person, if you try to pet a cat that isn’t familiar with you, they will attempt to commit murder. I love when games let you pet animals, but I think petting a cat and having them react non violently may break my suspension of disbelief.

(This is a joke)

5 Likes

I know one that tries to murder me anyway… And I’ve fed her for years.

5 Likes

This is why I will never trust a cat. I like them, I will pet them (though I’ve learned to just sit there and let them rub on me and not make any sudden moves lest I get bitten or scratched), and I will give them treats, toys, and catnip (because a cat high on catnip is hilarious), but I try to keep my guard up because I’ve seen one too many times how a cat can be loving one second and try to scratch your face off the next.

With dogs, they make clear their intentions. They typically warn you before they tear you apart, if you understand their body language and don’t threaten them. They’re loving and playful. I’ve never met a dog that scared me (and that includes a St. Bernard some guys had that they trained to hate women, so he tried to chase me, growling and snarling–when I popped him on the nose, he stopped being a dick and was sweet, and those guys whined about me ruining their dog).

The only thing that can get irritating with dogs is when they’re overly needy. Getting a Keeshond will solve that–they’re independent like cats, but lovey like dogs. Unless you piss them off, then they fart on you or steal your stuff.

7 Likes