December 2023's Writer Support Thread

My dyslexia makes it sadly a little hard to work digitally as my brain needs the paper to help me compute better. It’s more work but worth it for me.

But I feel your pain with loosing some. It is better now that I use the original ones. Sometimes I also sometimes make my own folding pages. I have a very strange system.
And it helps that I do everything in a notebook now (once my move is over I will probably use a wall.) Maybe then I will use clippers and yarn depending on how good they stick or reinforce through Washitape.

I can also recommend using different coloured pens. My base is always black so if another colour is used it is very apparent.

3 Likes

oh that looks so organised! I’m envious!

1 Like

I’d love to use a wall! Preferably one that doubles as a magnetic whiteboard.

Digital is more practical for me, because it’s portable (I’m plotting and mostly writing on tablet & phone) so I can put in random notes wherever, I can zoom in and out, it’s easily restructurable, and I don’t run out of paper even if my flowchart grows unexpectedly large. I do love the feel of paper myself, though. I’d rather just write directly on a notebook.

2 Likes

Oh, such a good idea. I will see my office is also the guest room so I can not go to crazy but I will post my setup once I got it rolling.

Do any off you have stuff that helps you get into the zone?
Also do you have writing routines? I am still figuring out what works and what not and inspiration is always appreciated.

I would love to do that but my brain just can’t cope. And I love spreadsheets and hope I can use them for stats when I get deeper into the story

1 Like

I have playlists for each project that I put on - this becomes especially helpful when I’m at the end of a project when I usually put on a single album on repeat which gives me a lot of momentum.

My ideal routine is to do some exercise in the morning and then start writing. That… does not always happen, especially when I’ve had a disturbed night’s sleep or it’s freezing cold like it is at the moment where I am. But I like using pomodoro timing to get into a rhythm - that also helps me keep track of how long I’m taking on each chapter.

6 Likes

I get my drink of choice ready (usually tea or water) and then just sit down and dig in.

At the beginning of each editing-type of session, I read my notes to myself and then review the character sheets of those characters inside the section I am working on.

At the beginning of each new writing or coding session, I read my research and self-notes before I begin writing, along with any character sheets of npc characters I know will be in that section. I also get ready two or three blank character sheets ready, to be filled as needed as I write.

I used to do something similar, but now I can’t write/code with music playing. I don’t know what changed, but something has.

6 Likes

Well, maybe after a while of yk chilling or watching TV. I’ll just sit down and relax on my desk and start working, Really what gets me into the zone is when I’m reading or watching something, it just gives me a random idea for my IF. :blush:

1 Like

I make moodboards for stuff and it usually gets me going to interesting parts. The main issue is tying these interesting parts together - I’m not used to general plotting and outlining, yet I still require structure.

3 Likes

Well, you could always try contacting Rhianna Pratchett and suggest it.

3 Likes

I said I’d kill for it, not TALK TO PEOPLE for it, even I have limits to which I will not lower myself to.

I mean, I’m not using it… :thinking:

6 Likes

Valid. Then the tactical thing to do, must be to find someone who likes talking to people, and who happens to need someone killed, and make a deal. :laughing:

Or just sell your soul.

3 Likes

I’m feeling really proud at the moment. I entered a writing competition last month that the Library at the hospital where I work held.

The results weren’t meant to be out till the 8th December but I was just checking my emails and found out my story Bound claimed 3rd Place! {^_^} and this is despite not being happy with how it ended due to running out of words to use so I am really happy right now.

19 Likes

:rat: :rat: :rat: :rat: :rat: :rat: :rat: :rat: :rat: :rat: :rat: :rat: :rat: :rat: :rat: :rat: :rat: :rat: :rat: :rat:

Conga rats!!!

6 Likes

So… Are you trying to learn Story Structure, Style Guide, Characterization, Story Progression/Beat Timing, or…? Because learning how to write a Story is a lot. Learning how to write an IF story? Even more.

I’d suggest looking into guides meant to teach you how to write a Visual Novel. They’re the tried and true genre for branching storylines, and generally have a lot of guides written.

OHHHHHH ok. I was VERY confused. XD Sorry.

I use Evernote and the *comments in the code. Evernote to write up a whole outline, and then *comments/labels to break out the sections of code into the outline segments.

please tell me you mean you’re writing story/narrative this way and not code because if you’re writing code How???

I wish I could get a writing routine, but between the demands of work, husband and life, as well as my Executive Functioning issues, a routine… doesn’t always end well for me.

Right now my routine is, I get on my computer, answer stuff here, and then work on the game for as much as I can. XD That’s my routine.

I LAUGHED SO HARD OMG

OH MY GOD, CONGRATULATIONS! That is AMAZING!

I legit giggled, hahahahaah

4 Likes

Hey all, just sharing something exciting from the Infiction forums (or at least I’m thinking it’s exciting since I’m a fan of short games and don’t think they get nearly enough love.) They’re going to be running a little comp for any short games made this year to show case them. For anyone worried about a competition setting, it sounds like you can submit for eyes on your game but ask to be excluded from any judging if you would prefer. More details are to come in the near future.

I’ll probably submit Cage break as I’ve since had time to do some QOL improvements/bug fixing although I should get my act together and compile it properly. (It was a bit glitchy when entered for seedcomp because I kind of almost got knocked out by an overly friendly horse and wasn’t in any state to finish it properly :P) I’m thinking those of you who did the halloween comp or shorter IFComp games might also be interested? Link below. It’d be great to have a good turn out for it.

10 Likes

I’m trying to learn to make a good plot

a random plot it easy to build, but maintain it to be believable and consistent is hard, and the hardest one is to make it straight-forward because it’s easy to add up something that we thought it could make the story richer or gameplay more fun, but actually it makes the whole story chaotic and divided into standalone unconnected parts

3 Likes

Have you tried

Not your mothers shire by @dwsnee ? I think it has some discworld charme and a bit of Monty Python.

5 Likes

:slightly_smiling_face:. Oh. I was actually asking because I struggle with basic routine. I am actually looking into testing because of how severe my executive function really is.
I only recently learned that I am not “normal” that not every one loses themselves in tasks and forgets to eat, drink and sleep.

How do you trick your brain into staying interested?

That question is for everyone who has problems with their executive function?

I try to create new scenarios and induce Hyperfocus when I know I don’t need to function for a day or two.
Right now I also always have my notebook with me so if I get a few minutes between classes or something I can write a little (using my classmates for body doubling without their knowledge :joy:)

1 Like

You mean like Terry Pratchett’s Discworld books? or James Herriot’s “All Creatures Great and Small” ? or Alcott’s “Little Women” ?

Why should stories have to make sense when the world they are set in is chaotic and divided into standalone unconnected parts? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I mean, technically I could code on phone. It’s just words. I couldn’t run the code, but I could write it. But yeah, I write the story. I make a first draft with no choices on tablet (phone I use for typing up random notes I don’t want to forget), because that I can carry everywhere and keep in my lap, which is closer to how I write on paper and makes coming up with words easier. I do the actual coding on laptop.

I try to command myself with “I need to work until I reach X and then I can have a break/do something fun”. Sometimes it even works. It works better if I have a hard deadline from outside, or if what I’m doing is actually interesting.

2 Likes