December 2023's Writer Support Thread

Wow! I’m so impressed by the work everyone is doing. It’s humbling to see the collective progress from so many writers crafting their stories. Well done, all!

Agreed. I didn’t start using the forum until after my first game was published, but I’ve really enjoyed reading through and learning more about what people like and don’t like so I can make my next game that much better.

My 2023 writing wrap-up:

• Their Majesties’ Pleasure was published by Heart’s Choice in June. This was my first interactive fiction project. It took me the better part of two years from concept to completion. I’m honestly blown away by some of the comments on the forum and the positive ratings it has received, which has resulted in me actually having confidence in my writing. (Or more confidence, anyway, rather than constantly wrestling with imposter syndrome.) I had a lot of fun with this project but it was really hard writing. Now I look back and it was so worth it!
  • I took the story and characters from Their Majesties’ Pleasure and adapted it into the start of a series of novels. The first novel is completed and received great feedback from betas. The second novel is paused at about 1/3, but I have a 5-7 book series outlined for whenever I get back to it.
  • I pitched my current WIP to Heart’s Choice and signed a second contract. Writing this game has been so much smoother! It was fully worth the learning curve I struggled through with the first game to get to this point. I can’t believe how much fun I’m having with it!

One of the things I enjoyed the most about wrapping up Their Majesties’ Pleasure was the beta testing process. I’m super grateful to everyone who participated—the feedback made the game so much better and helped me grow as a writer. Also, I’d be remiss if I didn’t say it has been an absolute joy to work with Abby Trevor as my editor, and HC/CoG as a company. Pardon the cliche but the support provided has been a writer’s dream come true.

My goals for next year are to complete this game for HC, and bring 2 more of the novels in my series adaption to completion. I’ve queried the first novel this year but my guess is I’ll end up self-publishing once I have 3 or 4 of the books ready. I like the control you have with self-publishing, though if I find the right publisher it would be nice to have that support behind the series. Personally, I prefer to read series that have at least 3 or 4 books published (rather than waiting years for the next part of the story) so that will be my approach with the novels.

I’m glad I decided to participate in this writer’s thread this month. It’s been wonderful connecting with all of you and I’m looking forward to hearing about your progress as we launch into a new year!

13 Likes