Dawn of Heroes (WIP) (Updated 04/14/24)

Honestly, I think I kind of needed this post. Thank you @matcharoon. I have had some issues over the last two weeks with the motivation to work on this project.

I’m glad that you find the character’s interesting, though in my opinion some of them seem flat to me when I read it over, like Valentin/Valentina. I hope to add more personality to that LI.

The power system took quite a bit of time and work. I doubt I will be doing anymore with it until the sequel story. Last time I tried to make modifications to it I broke it and it took me most of a day to fix it. Coding/Scripting comes natural to me, so it has been a lot of fun to put that part of my brain to work. Did you have a peak at the combat and injury systems too? I’m still working on the injury code, but technically it is in there and functions.

Thank you for pointing out these errors! This help a lot. I’ll try to get these sorted out by week’s end.

9 Likes

Glad to be able to help! I hope you can find your motivation again to continue your work. Take your time :slight_smile:

Val actually one of my favourites so far, although the anticipation to pursue their route probably affect my opinion of them :sweat_smile: I think you can add more conversations between the characters to deepen their personality. It also can lengthen the chapters, so it’s a win-win solution!

Haven’t look the code further beside chapter 1 and character creation, and in my playthroughs so far I had no issues with the power. I’ll try other powers and take a look at the code when I have time later.

1 Like

Some spacing and misgendering

Summary

Also, it’d be nice to see diversity in the names and last names.

I did not realize that the names lacked diversity. There are more characters to be introduced that may fix this. I will review the names.

Thank you for pointing out that error. Do you remember which chapter this was out of?

From chapter 1.

You could add names and last names that are from:

• First nation
  • Asian (east, central, south)
  • Hispanic
  • Eastern european
  • African

I found the chapter 1 issue and fixed it. Should be updated by tomorrow night.

I do have two Asian LI coming in other job routes; Ya-han/Yeong-Gi and Kali/Kiaan. I do already have an Eastern European, you just don’t know their name yet. Val has a Hispanic surname.

Either way, I will work on adding more.

2 Likes

I have been having a hard time working on this project lately, but have finally started back up. Mostly working on Chapter 10 but I have added a little to that missing combat text.

4.15 Week’s end update

• Fixed reported errors
  • Moved turning off Karma system to the stats screen
  • Added options for picking character’s height in Chapter 5

Still working on (everything after the first four are not in any order):

1. Battle text for hidden fight in Chapter 8 CEO route
    1. Chapter 10
    1. Floating fill in chapters
    1. A new Job: Factory Worker route most likely
  • Alternative Chapter 7 encounter
  • Custom gadget system
  • Adding more power options/uses to the story
  • New draft of Night 0
  • New draft of Chapter 9 - Game of Tag Route
16 Likes

While a few days early I am a few weeks behind giving an update. I have completed the first draft of Chapter 10. It have proven to be shorter than intended, so I want to go back over it to see what I can add. I am not updating the demo with the chapter yet. It is at this point of the story that we are going to start getting thing from other perspective than the main character. Also now that we are getting into territory of sustaining injuries there will start to have occasional options to rest for the day to help with the healing process.

I have started Chapter 11 which has branching routes like Chapter 9. Four story paths that introduce a fifth hero to the main character. Unlike before this single hero is in all four routes.

5.6 Week’s end update

• Finished Chapter 10 first draft (demo not updated)
  • Fixed reported typos

1. Working on Chapter 11
    1. A new Job: Factory Worker route most likely
  • Custom gadget system
  • New draft of Night 0
21 Likes

Amazing

A new challenger approaches!

With that the mage made his/her way across the room with haste. Following him/her I thought that I could see more color in a face that I did not think could be paler until moments ago. After clearing the archway out of the room the mage leaned with their back against the wall, taking a moment to compose him/herself.

“Are you alright?” I ask trying to peer under the cowl of the hood. The shadow normally covering the face top of his/her face now envelops all but the tip of his/her chin.

“I’ll be fine.” He/She says. “Thanks. We should keep moving.”

4 Likes

I’m pretty sure the word pear is supposed to be peer

You’re right I fixed it in my documents after I posted that. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Not much of an update to talk about this week, so instead an excerpt.

I press the call button. An unusual sensation courses through my body as it rings in my ear. I put the phone on speaker to put distance between myself and the phone call. Why was I so nervous? I take my shirt off to address the growing heat and to get ready for a shower.

The ringing stops.

“Hey, what’s up?” They say apprehensively. “Are you needing me to come in an cover something? I’m not sure if I am available today.”

“No, I wasn’t calling about work.” I respond.

3 Likes

I have been hard at work on Chapter 11 and options for expanding Chapter 10. I may in fact start combining chapters per the recommendations. Chapter 11 was to be like Chapter 9 having four different routes depending on your choices. I think I will instead bring it down to three routes to use one of the planned storylines later.

Over the last few days I started to plan sequel story ideas so that I may lay the groundwork for them in this story. I do have some questions about the file importing between games but can have things ready all the same.

The good news for some of you watching this story/game is that I now have plans for implementing an intelligent exo-skin powerset as well as some other requested powers. This powerset would not be featured until a future project. Once that is out it would have options akin to Venom, Guyver, Blue Beatle, ect. I just hope people will have a lot of patience, it will be a long time before I get there.

To make things easier for me in the future I will be making some changes to the code for the game soon. I am not sure what this will do for reader’s save files in the demo. Readers might be forced to start all over that have save files waiting for me to add more. I would like to apologize in advance.

5.20 Week’s end update

• Plans for an arching series
  • Hit 100k Word count

1. Working on Chapter 11
    1. A new Job route. Not sure which
  • Custom gadget system
  • New draft of Night 0
16 Likes

Hey man i really enjoy ur content keep the good work

2 Likes

Welcome to the community! Thank you for letting your first post be in my thread!

3 Likes

I finished one of the routes for Chapter 11 a lot faster than expected! Then there was an impasse to either do the next route or continue to Chapter 12. Since I had already written Chapter 12 in a previous draft when I was writing out of order I decided to quickly tackle Chapter 12. I’ll go back to Chapter 11 soon.

I had previously stated that I down graded Chapter 11 from four routes to three. I am now considering making it only two routes. I have a serial killer route that I’m toying with introducing to a sequel story instead of this one. It would make this project go a little faster. I suppose I could always just write it in later.

I have started planning a second story meant to run semi parallel to this story. It will be different a different genre with a different main character. Planning it now will allow me to better connect the two stories. The plan is to bring them together later. I fear that this will be a turn off to people to have to step away from a main character they spent time with for a story. I know when I read some books it was a bit jarring when introducing a new main character for a full book. I would love to hear your thoughts.

5.27 Week’s end update

• Finished one route for Chapter 11
  • Plans for parallel story
  • Hit 100k Word count last week!

Still working on (everything after the first five are not in any order):

1. Working on Chapter 12
    1. Working on Chapter 11
  • Custom gadget system
  • New draft of Night 0
15 Likes

That would be interesting :thinking:

1 Like

My week started and I was revising some previous written work chapters from my first draft. This next IT story is massive in variation. I am aware that the IT stories have been short. This next one has a lot of variation with multiple endings to it.

Speaking of Chapters. When I was writing my first draft the structure of the story was not with chapters. It was just what happened on a given day. I have been considering going back to that structure and then breaking the story into different acts.

I have started to map out more things for the parallel story. What it means for this current story and future stories. What tropes to include and which to set up. It has made me start to reflect on if the series will have a themed set of titles. Twilight of Heroes and Dusk of Heroes anyone? If I will just name them over some element within the story. Maybe I would give all of them secondary titles and start calling this first one Dawn of Heroes: Myths to Champions for example.

6.3 Week’s end update

Still working on (everything after the first five are not in any order):

1. Working on Chapter 12
    1. Working on Chapter 11
  • Custom gadget system
  • New draft of Night 0
17 Likes

I was reading some of an upcoming chapter that has several different endings and this choice stood out to me. A mix of the absurdity without context and that a the character flaws can have impact on options for choices just put a smile to my face.

Spoilers for the IT route.

I needed to act fast. I went to talk to Reilly to see that the phone was no longer lit up, he was gone.

*choice
	*if CharacterFlaw != “Rash”
		#Lead everyone to the emergency exit
	*if CharacterFlaw = “Rash”
		*selectable_if (false) #Choice locked out due to Character Flaw
	#Break the extinguishing system
8 Likes