Dashingdon: Free ChoiceScript Game Hosting

No, you can only access your saves from the same device and browser as the one you used to create the save. That’s just the way CJW’s plugin works. The dashingdon.com site does not retain or access any savegame data.

This is odd. I’ve checked your email myself and I cannot duplicate that error. It looks as if the @ symbol isn’t being recognized? Is there a reason that might be happening? Are you using non-US/UK input maybe?

2 Likes

Did you put in the Email adress by typing it or did you use the auto-insert some smartphones and tablets use? At my Work there is an issue with recognizing Auto inserted e-mail adresses.

You might want to try to delete the last sign and then type it again .

2 Likes

I was using the auto insert for my email.
Typing it in works.
@dashingdon I found the issue. Using the auto insert option brings up the problem, but typing it in doesn’t.

1 Like

@dashingdon thanks for the quick fix. None of the links work now.

1 Like

I see. The validation script must not recognize the auto-insert as valid. I believe you can still do the auto-insert to fill in the form but you may need to add an extra character in the field (like an x after your email address) and then delete it to get the script to evaluate the field value. I’ll look into finding a way to fix this when I have time.

1 Like

I have done everything that I could think of to work around this issue, but I just can’t seem to update my game.

The problem: uploading new versions of existing TXT or JPG assets doesn’t work. I tried adding a new TXT with a new name and it worked fine. I verified that the files weren’t updated two ways: firstly by checking the files on the server (I have an update date near the top of every file) and second by manually replaying the demo and seeing that it didn’t update.

What I tried: I tried it in both Firefox and Chrome. I tried logging out and then back in again. I tried restarting Firefox to update the browser version. I tried CTRL+F5 to force refresh. I tried playing in a private window. I quit the browser and cleared all cookies across all browsers in my system using Avast. I tried creating a new game and couldn’t get past the screen where you input a name for the game.

I am at my wits’ end. My next ideas are creating a brand-new Dashingdon account or reloading reality from a recent save. Please advise.

The game link, in case it’s needed: https://dashingdon.com/play/hazel/the-flower-of-fairmont/mygame/

2 Likes

Hmm that’s very strange… but the only odd thing I noticed was that four of the scene files had the wrong permissions on them. No idea how that could have happened but I’ve adjusted the permissions now. Hopefully that fixes the issue you are experiencing with the file uploads.

If not I’ll have to dig into this more tomorrow when I have time - along with the problem you’re having with creating a new game.

6 Likes

My best guess would be something in the transactionality of the update – the file locked for updating, the update failed, and then the lock never released. But this is just an educated guess, without knowing too much about your infrastructure.

I’ve used the site for years, mostly with no issues, so this is an outlier for me.

Edit: Okay, this is weird. I tried again, and got the same issue. It’s very strange that this happens with the main project, when I updated my private beta version this Sunday. And stranger still that trying to create a new project gives a Secure Connection Failed browser error.

2 Likes

Is dashingdon’s currently offline? I’ve been having trouble accessing it and am wondering if it’s a problem at my end or not?

5 Likes

In some connections it says that the SSL certificate expired. Same for the forum too. But I still can access through phone and tablets.

It might be an issue on my end though.

5 Likes

Doesn’t seem to work for me either, tried it on a phone and computer.

4 Likes

That’s interesting. I can actually access it through my phone, but it’s still out on my computer (it just says connection timed out). Strange, I wonder what’s going on :thinking:

4 Likes

Seems to work on my phone when I use a VPN and not otherwise. Not sure what that means, but it’s something.

3 Likes

I’ve tested the site on several devices and it is work for me. I’ll dig into it and see if this may be an intermittent issue. If nothing else I’ll invalidate the current SSL certificate and replace it with a new one.

6 Likes

Thanks @dashingdon :slight_smile:
I actually can’t access your site on either my phone or my computer now. I’ve never had a problem with your site before, so it’s very strange.

4 Likes

I don’t know if this will be helpful or not but I was having the same time out problem on my phone but was able to connect when I turned on my phone’s wifi connection! This has been the case since about 11pm last night.

1 Like

The site has been broken for me all day on edge and chrome :sob: (I only use my phone) I was wondering if it was a me problem but now I’m not even sure

2 Likes

Hello, reaching out here as I’m encountering the same issues with DashingDon. I wasn’t able to access the IF demos there. Have tried accessing via different browsers - Safari, Google & Chrome across different platforms and OS (iPhone, Macbook & Samsung) but kept getting error or connection time out.

Not sure if it helps but if it’s required, I can share some screenshots I got while trying to access the website

I’ve manually renewed the certification and tested the site on my desktop and phone on a couple browsers. It is working on my devices and the certificate is shows a created date of today, so hopefully that solves the connection/SSL issues. Please let me know. Thanks.

7 Likes

Still can’t connect (taking too long to respond). But it seems using VPN still allows connection, for me at least.