Dashingdon: Free ChoiceScript Game Hosting

It might be helpful if you could link the specific games you’re talking about.

1.Dungeon and maddness

2.Attack on Titan

3.The Villain or hero

4.dark skies in an invisible day

5.Medieval game-WiP

the site in general is down right now :frowning:

edit: it’s back. seems a bit hiccuppy, but the whole internet seems hiccuppy today

I meant that you should post direct links (urls) to the games you’re talking talking about.

For example, this is a link to the game Dark Skies In An Invisible Day:

https://dashingdon.com/play/13thilli/dark-skies-in-an-invisible-day/mygame/

I’m just trying to see if all of the games you mentioned have the same error or if it can be something else that we might be able to help with.

Odd, I’m not having any issues, but I am still unable to see that game I linked earlier. I’m pretty sure it’s unrelated to anything you’re experiencing though. :thinking:

Hello, everyone. The “reset password” functionality has been fixed (finally). Still a lot in the queue but I’m working on them when I get spare time outside of work and family.

Thanks everyone for the donations towards server costs as well. At this time the monthly server cost (at current price) is covered for nearly 2 more years.

18 Likes

I’m having trouble with links on DashingDon:

Not Found
The requested URL was not found on this server.
Apache/2.4.29 (Ubuntu) Server at dashingdon.com Port 443

I’ve poked around and have seen the error in really old threads, but no solution. My old links to ChoiceOfGames work, but any new ones break like that.

So, this works:
*link http://www.choiceofgames.com/user-contributed/life-of-a-wizard

But these don’t:
*link: http://www.facebook.com/LucidsGames
*link: http://eepurl.com/dBPS-D
*link: https://www.patreon.com/LucidsGames

Although they work here, they don’t through my game on DashingDon. Ideas?

Are you putting the colon at the end of the link (link:)? That would set the URL as : because (as I remember) link behaves like so:

*link ACTUAL_URL TEXT_FOR_LINK

So *link: http://www.facebook.com/LucidsGames would show http://www.facebook.com/LucidsGames as the link text but actual the link would be : which wouldn’t work.

2 Likes

That’s it! Thanks DashingDon, you rock.

Hello! I hope you’re all doing well. :green_heart:

First, thank you to @dashingdon for all you do to manage and upkeep the servers! :smiley: (Also, I love the dog loading animation.)

I tried to search through the threads on here, but could not find how the listing of games work.

I am having an issue where my game (Fernweh Saga) is not appearing within the listings in twofold ways.

I assume there is an element of recency with the listings of games based on those I see listed and knowing my Tumblr mutuals/game creators update timeline, so I would anticipate seeing my game within the first few pages since it was uploaded on June 1st 2021. I was surprised to see the first Wayhaven demo before coming across my game. :sweat:

Recency aside, when using the filters that I set for the game (e.g. horror and romance etc.), it does not show up in the listing of retrieved games…? I altered them taking out ‘monsters’ among other tags to see if it was something with the number of tags used and I could still not find the game.

I eventually did find it when switching to the ‘screen reader friendly’ view and it was listed as 815…

I’m not sure if it is showing up at all on the ‘not screen reader friendly’ view? I have the box checked that should allow the game to be public. I followed the image header specifications and my description should be brief enough. I’m a little confused? I plan to update the game on the 8th of July, but that will not mend the fact the game itself is not appearing in the filtered tags.

People are still playing the game and the saves, etc. work fine; it’s a matter of it not showing up within the listing that I am concerned about, since I may get more readers that way.

Thank you for any help you can provide!

1 Like

Hello @lacunafiction,

To bump your game up on the listings after an update you can click the Set Game as Updated Today link below your game name on the dashboard. I see the “last update” for your game is 05-20-21 so that’s why you’re seeing it a fair bit down in the listings (and probably because other people are abusing the update feature, honestly – but that will have to wait for me to address at another time).

The filters only work on games on the current page so unfortunately they aren’t particularly useful right now. I have it on the agenda to get this fixed (and get a proper search on the site as well).

1 Like

@dashingdon Oh, that makes sense; I’ll be sure to click that after I upload the next chapter to my game. No worries! I appreciate your answers and thank you for all the time you put into this for all of us writers/players of games.

Hope you have a lovely day/night! :slightly_smiling_face:

Hello, I was wondering if it was possible to change my game’s name on DashingDon.com? I have been editing it and the name I used initially was mostly a placeholder until I found something I liked more-- however, it seems that even if I change the game’s name in the code, it remains the old name on dashingdon.com.

Yes please message me the details and I will manually rename it (your dashingdon username, game name, and what you want it changed to).

3 Likes

@dashingdon
Where are saves stored on my account? Because I have a saved game of fallen hero: retribution using the saving plug in, but it’s not letting me see it when I go on my account.

And also, I’ve just created an account, upon logging out and trying to log in again, the site keeps displaying “email required” upon entering my email address. I’m using Gmail.

The saved game done using the saving plugin should be stored in your own browser’s localStorage, not on dashingdon, which is only for hosting the game code (if there is any). If the browser’s setting is to clear any cached data upon closing of the browser, or after a certain amount of time (or sometimes when the localStorage space is full), the saved data will be gone. This saving feature functions differently than the official save (which is not stored in the browser but should be on some server/database, which is still not stored on dashingdon). :slight_smile:

5 Likes

As @brushmen said, the save data is stored in your local browser cache. If you’re not seeing the savegame then likely it was removed by the browser for one reason or another.

For the second issue, please try the “lost password” feature to receive a new password in your email and then try logging in with that. You can then change your password back to whatever you like via the dashboard once you are logged in.

4 Likes

Hey @dashingdon, hope all is going well!

Quick question, is there some sort of delay between when I delete a game on the web site versus it no longer being available to play via previously posted links? I deleted my newest game (community college hero 2.5) yesterday but when I click links to the game it’s still playable.

@Eric_Moser No, there should be no delay. There is a bug that sometimes occurs where the directory is not removed along with the database entry. I’ll get this particular instance corrected for you here shortly.

2 Likes

Thanks so much!

Does this mean that your saves can be accessed from any computer if logged in, and does this apply to the saves created in the saving plug in?

Is this feature on the current version of dashingdon?

The problem isn’t my password. The problem is that upon entering my email in the login box the site says that my email is required despite the fact I’ve entered it.
The same also happens when using the password reset function.