Dashingdon: Free ChoiceScript Game Hosting

Casuals doesn’t read faqs. Casuals don’t press info. Casuals don’t understand how to submit to a official beta asking for Jason mail over and over and over.

Casuals here make and account and don’t read rules and first is asking when game comesIT IS THIS DEAD?

Then started call names author and their quality calling them mean things.

I know most of people is not like that and most of new people is super nice. However that minority is harm the community giving unfair criticism in apple store or Google play. In base a misunderstanding that are their own doing as company and authors labelled all . But they don’tbother reading anything.

1 Like

Ey, remember when I got into trouble with you and @Eiwynn early 2017?
That’s when I’m still a “casual,” looking for fun in CYOA/IF games.

Nothing wrong with being a newcomer and testing the water. What is wrong is being told the rules and guidance and ignoring them. Don’t blame the nuggets.

1 Like

Yeah, But you wanted learn and were respectful. Is normal new people evennold people commit mistakes Inam the first. But lately I see people I admire being injustice trashed by casuals . Then I see dashingdon being trashed and all of our authors trashed gratuitously. And I won’t stand and let it go to make people believe it can come here and say whatever without reading rules or discovered how all works. If someone can make an account can read the faq

Hi everyone.

This is a gentle reminder to please keep conversations directed at the topic at hand and not at the individuals themselves. Focusing replies on the individuals themselves instead of the topic at hand can lead to friction between members and often causes the thread to derail.

Finally, if you see disrespectful posts please do not reply to them. Rather please use the report feature and let forum staff de-escalate friction.

If you want to discuss etiquette towards newer community members, a separate thread should be made.

This thread is about Dashingdon’s hosting site and it should stay focused on this topic.

Back to writing I go.

7 Likes

Yes, sorry My bad :slight_smile:

I’ve stayed out of this discussion because I felt insulted for all the authors in their varying degrees of experience. The only way to become a better writer is to write and describing anyone’s writing journey as “stupid” or “juvenile” is galling. So I had to refrain from replying until I had time to reset my mood.

Firstly, I realize it’s not my place to be offended for others. But what I can say to everyone who has posted on DashingDon: keep writing. Do not let hurtful words from strangers discourage or upset you. Keep writing. Whatever you might feel that you lack in talent or knowledge, a hopeful heart and a stubborn mindset will see you one day an author that others will know and respect.

I pay about $30 a month and put in at least a couple hours a week on maintaining the website and database. And I’m glad to do it so that my fellow writers have a place to easily post their stories. This is a way I found to give back to this community of talented creators and I’m very happy it has been helpful to so many.

That said, I am putting the latest suggestions into the development queue. The update is still in the works but I’ve outlined three main categories for the entries: WIP, demo, and complete. Authors will choose the category for their stories and the reader will be advised of that category. The default will be WIP. Stories in the demo category will have the option to link to the store/sales page for the full game. Completed stories will be provided their own featured section.

Please feel free to let me know if there are any other suggestions. Thanks.

28 Likes

Will you do an adult section as well? I mean you are the author of the infamous naked wip/game. :grin:

3 Likes

I suppose I could create an adult section although really there aren’t many (if any?) games on the site now that would fall into that category. Even “The Burden” isn’t really adult in nature, just a bit cheeky and… nakedy? But I suppose if people wanted it, I don’t have any problem setting up an ‘adult section’ for stories of a more purple shade.

5 Likes

Thank you for of the hard work you do, @dashingdon! I seriously don’t think the community would be anywhere close to what it is without your help and invaluable site - we have you to thank for being able to share our stories!

15 Likes

Well said! And thanks for everything!

How would you feel about linking this forum thread from the dashingdon site itself?

Hope you find the time to resume it someday, it is certainly one of the cuter and more lighthearted games and in my humble opinion CoG could use more of them.

1 Like

Probably a good idea. I’ll find a way to make it clear with the next update.

I do enjoy the characters of that story and I honestly do plan to return to writing it when I finally get some spare time.

5 Likes

Apologies if this has already been answered somewhere, I had a bit of a hunt and couldn’t find it. Throughout development of my work, I tend to create multiple (private) versions on dashingdon and then delete older ones as I refine things. It just means I always have a working version, but can also try things out online. I also thought it was a good way of ensuring older versions were no longer available to my testers. However, today I found an old link in an old file and clicked it to double check it could no longer be accessed, but it still worked, despite having been deleted from dashingdon some time ago. Is this intended function and is there any way to ensure only the most current version(s) are available?

Unfortunately this is a bug within the code somewhere I have thus far not been able to track down (filename issue, directory or filename permissions, etc). Every test I make deleting a game works just fine, but several people have mentioned and messaged me that games they have deleted drop off their dashboard but still remain playable. In the new update this functionality is being reworked so hopefully that magically fixes it.

In the meantime, if you have deleted a game but the link still works please feel free to message me and I will remove the files manually as soon as possible. Thanks.

4 Likes

Now that you say this, I feel like either I’ve asked you before, or I’ve seen it on here before… Thanks, will message you shortly.

A workaround for this is for the author to upload a blank text file of the same name (for example, chapter1.txt) to overwrite their existing scene files. This seems to have worked for me.

3 Likes

How do you get it to load up again? I tried to refreshing. :disappointed_relieved::expressionless: is it down?

Just FYI I was trying to upload .png images with transparent backgrounds and they came up only as errors. Is this a known issue? I just re-uploaded them as .jpg images with the background colour the same and that worked.

Can you try this link? DashingDon: Free ChoiceScript Game Hosting

If it comes up through that proxy, then the website is being blocked somewhere on your end. I wouldn’t think any ISP would block this site but I’ve seen stranger things.

Hmm png should work fine. Please double-check that the case is exact for the image and reference. Picture.png and Picture.PNG (and picture.png) are all considered different files because of case-sensitivity.

1 Like

@dashingdon
Hi, sorry to bother you but when playtested it, it just kept on loading or sometimes showed the Error 404 message, I checked the scene files, all of the files that I uploaded were there. I ran quick test and random test and it works fine. I don’t know what I did wrong here.