Cyberpolice (Minor Update: 19th of March 2024) (WIP)

No update today.

Deadline for current update: Complete Stillwater one night stand likely first half of April(explicit stuff included)
Deadline for the rest in this segment: Varies. April.

Fixes mostly done, should be ready tomorrow supposing I have time.

9 Likes

No update today.

Deadline for current update: Complete Stillwater one night stand likely first half of April(explicit stuff included)

Tomorrow. (canā€™t believe a few simple fixes get the ā€œtomorrowā€ treatment :stuck_out_tongue: )

10 Likes

No update today.

No excuse, was lazy and did other stuff. Tomorrow for the fixes, again. :smiley:

Then back to Stillwater on the weekend.

11 Likes

As long itā€™s not april fool update like other games, dang they got me good. :grin::grin:

1 Like

No update today.

Right, as I said yesterday, tomorrowā€¦ :stuck_out_tongue:

Itā€™s always hard to get motivated to fix things. Still, since Iā€™ll be working a lot tomorrow, it should be simple enough to start with the fixes. I hope. :smiley:

Nah, just some minor fixes/changes to the Mari Badr one night stand. Not a real update by my standards.

Personally Iā€™ve never been a fan of April Foolā€™s in the first place. :stuck_out_tongue:

12 Likes

No (real) update today.

Fair progress on Stillwater scene.

Also, implemented some changes/fixes to Mari Badr scene. Mostly very minor ones, so not worth a topic update.

Theyā€™re detailed in the adult-subforum if youā€™re interested.

10 Likes

No update today.

Decent chunk done. Still a bunch left, plus the dreaded polishing. :stuck_out_tongue:

Not sure Iā€™ll have too much until the next weekend, which is annoying.

6 Likes

Mariā€™s scene is just WOW :hot_face:

One thing Iā€™m a tiny bit sad about is the different dominant/submissive options donā€™t affect the scene too much, however since the entire encounter is so long and varied it is still amazing as is.

I really liked seeing a different, more real side of her. Looks like she craves intimacy and meaningful connections with others like anyone else considering her big stack of contracts, so maybe she isnā€™t as different as she thinks she isā€¦ :smirk:

Her small acts of rebellion in the console and gum suggest that she wants a bit more freedom in her life, hmm perhaps a romantic relationship could be the next thing she does for herself. :stuck_out_tongue:

Also, getting her to rip up the contract!? Sheā€™s definitely head over heels in love with the MC, no matter how she tries to hide it. It doesnā€™t look like painting her dalliances is something she does regularly either.

Iā€™m hoping that weā€™ll get to see more of the real Mari Badr, literally and figuratively of course.

5 Likes

No update today.

Mostly keeping up with the work flow.

Thanks!

The scene is big enough as is, canā€™t have everything or Iā€™d still be working on it, you know? :smiley:

Sounds to me like she has you completely wrapped around her finger. :smirk:

As for seeing more of the ā€œrealā€ Mari Badr, as you call it, well, guess youā€™ll have to wait and see how the story unfolds. Youā€™ll probably end up in the branches where sheā€™s more in the focus, so no need to worry about that, Iā€™d guess. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Sounds to me like she has you completely wrapped around her finger. :smirk:

What can I say, sheā€™s unique :laughing:

As for seeing more of the ā€œrealā€ Mari Badr, as you call it, well, guess youā€™ll have to wait and see how the story unfolds. Youā€™ll probably end up in the branches where sheā€™s more in the focus, so no need to worry about that, Iā€™d guess. :slight_smile:

Perhaps less fake would be a better way of putting it than more real :sweat_smile: Even if the entire night was one big facade orchestrated to manipulate the MC she was probably acting closer to her normal self, and that would make her even more intriguingā€¦

Romancing Mari Badr, what could go wrong? :woozy_face:

2 Likes

No update today.

More time than expected today, decent amount done.

:grin:

9 Likes

No update today.

Deadline for current update: Complete Stillwater one night stand likely before 21st of April(explicit stuff included)

Maybe not within the week, but not much longer after that.

10 Likes

No update today.

Deadline for current update: Complete Stillwater one night stand likely before 21st of April(explicit stuff included)
Deadline for the rest in this segment: Mouse and Carrington sometime in May.

Not much done today, busy.

10 Likes

Iā€™ve been reading through the thread to get a feel of the discussions and developments and wanted to give some really belated opinions. :woozy_face:

Walls of text: weā€™re here specifically to read, so I find the desire for less reading to be somewhat strange. The writing is good quality, thereā€™s good reason for the length to exist, and there isnā€™t any rambling or padding. Perhaps arbitrarily breaking them up into more pages would make them more digestible? I like all the details given throughout, a lot of the time I feel many stories rush through things and Iā€™m left wanting something more and Iā€™m not feeling that here. I especially like the on the spot theorizing/internal monologuing like ā€˜I wonder why she acted like that, maybe because of this? Or maybe thatā€™s what she wanted me to thinkā€¦ā€™ (an example is eluding me right now).

Branching: I am happy that the story will not be linear like Telltaleā€™s The Walking Dead, otherwise why make interactive fiction in the first place? Text based IF doesnā€™t have as many constraints on this as a video game would and that should be taken advantage of. :grin:

Romance: a lot of demand for it and I understand the concerns about project scope :sweat_smile: A suggestion I have is that not everything related to romance has to be important; small inconsequential stuff can be appended basically anywhere. It could be as easy as ā€˜if in a relationship add this lineā€™ or a whole date added at the end of the day in addition to what would normally be there, basically standalone items that are just there for fun.

PS: sex is a cyberpunk mainstay so adding more for world building purposes is totally justifiable :wink:

5 Likes

No update today.

Okay amount done. Should get a lot done tomorrow and on Sunday.

Well, people prefer different things even when reading. There are lots of different writing styles, and not everyone likes all of them, which is fine.

The problem with the walls of text is more of a ā€œreadabilityā€ issue than a content issue. Originally there were huge blocks of text in a single paragraph, and some overly long exposition.

Once I put in a few extra lines here and there, it was way easier to read, since you didnā€™t have to read it in ā€œrowā€, but could read it in chunks, and itā€™s much easier to return to a part to re-read it when itā€™s not in a huge paragraph, but in a segment of a few lines.

(Well, I did rewrite that one massive scene completely so it wasnā€™t so exhausting, so sometimes walls of text can be a content issue :wink: )

Besides, since this is interactive fiction, thereā€™s the possibility to skip certain in-depth segments, or rambling ones, or such, if the reader doesnā€™t want to read them. On more than one occasion Iā€™ve offered the chance to read a shorter version of something that still contains the main point.

Also, thanks for complimenting my writing. :grin:

I too like the internal monologuing/theorizing, which is why I put that kind of stuff in. :smiley:

(not everyone likes it though, Iā€™ve heard a few comments where people thought they were pointless and a waste of time. Still, Iā€™ll never remove them since theyā€™re important for me as the creator to include)

Reserve your final judgement until the product is complete. Thereā€™s still many different ways I could fumble it by not taking anything into account in the final moments, thus making everything leading up to it meaningless. Just because it seems good now doesnā€™t mean itā€™ll stay that way until the end. I hope it will, and Iā€™ll certainly put a huge effort in making it so, but you never know. Perhaps itā€™s 10 times more effort than I think, for instance.

And I definitely agree with you on that. IF is a wonderful medium exactly because thereā€™s no ā€œbudgetā€ so to speak, and you can change the location where everything takes place without it costing anything except a few dozen words. Quite different from having to make an entire digital set for something.

Yeah, Iā€™ll be peppering romantic/flirty dialogue options here and there once I re-write the earlier segments of the game. No adding new scenes, but yes to adding context and different ways older scenes unfold. Same goes for line variance based on that stuff.

Iā€™m not fond of limiting character interactions to romances, usually. If I add a romantic date at the end of a day, I feel compelled to add a non-romantic version of it too thatā€™s mutually exclusive(or a completely different scene to compensate that youā€™ll never see if you have a romance with the character), etc. :stuck_out_tongue:

As for adding more sex, well, everything added is more effort I have to put in, and that may take away time from something else. Since my own priorities are completely elsewhere, Iā€™d like to keep that to a minimum. I should hope that the one night stands are enough(for the most part), especially since the reception to them is so great(well, the single one done at present I suppose). Especially something that in-depth. Perhaps more abstract or vague allusions here and there, but definitely not full blown scenes, thatā€™s for sure. :grin:

7 Likes

No update today.

Fine progress today. Non-explicit stuff more or less done, so just that part left.

8 Likes

Well, people prefer different things even when reading. There are lots of different writing styles, and not everyone likes all of them, which is fine.

Agree! I donā€™t mean to imply otherwise, more like I donā€™t really get whatā€™s wrong (because I was reading without context).

The problem with the walls of text is more of a ā€œreadabilityā€ issue than a content issue. Originally there were huge blocks of text in a single paragraph, and some overly long exposition.

Ah I wasnā€™t sure how relevant that discussion was or how much things changed, but I wanted to include it just in case. Looks like I ended up misinterpreting it due to lack of context :upside_down_face:. Glad to hear that it seems to not be an issue anymore.

Reserve your final judgement until the product is complete. Thereā€™s still many different ways I could fumble it by not taking anything into account in the final moments, thus making everything leading up to it meaningless. Just because it seems good now doesnā€™t mean itā€™ll stay that way until the end. I hope it will, and Iā€™ll certainly put a huge effort in making it so, but you never know. Perhaps itā€™s 10 times more effort than I think, for instance.

That doesnā€™t sound likely but just knowing that there will be as much variance as is feasible has me happy :smiley:

As for adding more sex, well, everything added is more effort I have to put in, and that may take away time from something else. Since my own priorities are completely elsewhere, Iā€™d like to keep that to a minimum. I should hope that the one night stands are enough(for the most part), especially since the reception to them is so great(well, the single one done at present I suppose). Especially something that in-depth. Perhaps more abstract or vague allusions here and there, but definitely not full blown scenes, thatā€™s for sure. :grin:

Weā€™re too thirsty for our own good, nothing is enough :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

Well, I at least hope the blocks of text are much better now. No oneā€™s mentioned them in a while, but that doesnā€™t mean that people might not think theyā€™re a problem while reading. :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

I like Mari Badr, particularly after the one night stand. It would be awesome to have more opportunities to have honest discussions with her about stuff, as well as possible helping her grow beyond what she is now.

Also, I apologize if I missed it somehow, but I didnā€™t notice a real description of her? I just kinda figured she looked like Hatsune Miku.

As for the rest of the story, itā€™s great too! Iā€™m just a little fixated on Mari right now :confused:

1 Like

No update today.

Plenty of done today. Not sure how much I can do in the week. Next weekend is partially booked, but Iā€™ll still try for the 21st.

A honest discussion with Mari Badr? Is that even possible? :wink:

Thereā€™ll be more scenes with her eventually, have no fear. Still, they wonā€™t be written for quite a while since thereā€™s much to do before we get to that point.

Hmm, having checked the files, the description I have written of her is strangely short. Almost as if Iā€™ve already written a longer one somewhere. I havenā€™t, that Iā€™m aware of. Thereā€™s a short one at the start in the commercial, and one where you meet her in person. Aside from those, I didnā€™t find any other descriptions, which is quite strange.

Hatsune Miku isnā€™t quite the look Iā€™m going for. See the fanart linked to in the opening post for a more accurate image. (honestly, itā€™s miraculous that that particular picture is a fair representation of her, given how short and scattered the description is :stuck_out_tongue: )

Below is what Iā€™ve written in the game that I could find. (although I should definitely revise it since itā€™s weirdly short. Unless Iā€™ve peppered her description here and there in some of the scenes. Which is possible, just couldnā€™t find too much more than this anywhere on a quick glance)

(from the train)
ā€˜Sheā€™s wearing a green-and-purple latex dress with the AmriBrad GS logo plastered on her skirt.ā€™

(from the physical meeting at the headquarters)
'Her hair is mostly black, and chin length. It is also completely straight and cut with extreme precision. On the right side of her face there is a strip of hair colored green rather than black, and on the left side purple. Both are the width of two fingers.

Peeking from under her hair, on her left temple, is a small device of some sort. Connected to it is an orange piece of glass thatā€™s currently covering her left eye.ā€™

And thanks for complimenting the story. Plenty of people are fixated on her, so itā€™s normal. :smiley:

11 Likes