[CSIDE] The ChoiceScript IDE (v1.3.3 Now Available — 05/09/2022)

What happens when you playtest it?

The chapter shows up as completely blank and crashes the playtest. The chapters I hadn’t been working on prior to last night seem to be in perfect working order, it is only chapter five that is experiencing these difficulties

I’m just guessing here, but…have you tried making sure the file hasn’t been moved or deleted, and also checking the type of file to be sure it’s a UTF-8 .txt file?

Also, have you tried opening that file in another application, a text editor or some such?

1 Like

The file is located in the same place, which is strange, and opening up the file in another program pulls up a version of the chapter I had had before I worked on it for four hours yesterday. Perhaps the save got corrupted?

In any case, unless another suggestion offers a better alternative, I think that is as close to the previous version as I will be able to get. That is definitely disheartening as that is half the chapter that shall have to be recreated, but at least I haven’t lost it entirely. Thank you for your help!

1 Like

I’m glad it helped at least a little! I know it’s awful to lose work.

Are you using the Windows version of the IDE, or the online one?

@Fiogan Fiogan is almost definitely spot on here. That looks like an incorrect encoding or complete file corruption. I’m really sorry about that, it could have been caused by any number of things. Closing the app whilst it was saving, working on the same file in multiple programs etc. It’s always worth keeping a backup (or twenty) of any work you do, choicescript or otherwise. I tend to have the Dropbox app installed locally, that backs up my projects folder automatically.

I’d guess the Windows version, due to the close/min/max buttons.

This is a complete and utter long shot, but if you want to PM me the file I will try to see if it’s salvageable. It’s very unlikely though, so please don’t get your hopes up.

If this is the same file, in the same location. That’s really odd. I’m thinking a Windows cache issue or something?

1 Like

Right, I should have caught that, oops. Sorry.

I am really, really liking the template for creating our own editor themes. Thank you so much for incorporating that.

Also, I had a few thoughts/suggestions (any you think are reasonable, I’m happy to stick in GitHub).

Now that custom themes exist…rather than having a choice of three fonts, would it be possible to let us input a font via the custom themes rather than having to select from the three currently in Settings? That would help me out a lot, especially when editing.

The collapse/reopen arrows for code folding (which are also so very helpful! thank you!): Would it be possible to change the arrow colour to reflect whether they are open/closed—maybe with red for closed? Right now, since they’re all just grey triangles oriented in different directions, I find it difficult to quickly scan for open/closed sections.

Block indent size: Would it be possible to allow the user to input the number of spaces on a drop menu rather than forcing them to 2, 4, 6, or 8? I ask because when I edit, I’m sometimes given manuscripts with odd (as in, not even) numbers of spaces, like 3 or 5, and then I have to edit the entire thing very, very carefully so as not to disturb the spaces, or copy-paste all my tabs, or turn auto-indent off. It would be really nice to have a drop-down box that would let me select 1, 2…up to 8 (or whatnot) spaces.

When using ‘find’, would it be possible to display how many instances of the search results are found in a certain file? That would help me a lot, both with writing in CS, and also especially with editing/collab work.

And finally, when using the search function…I think may have mentioned this in passing some time ago, but would it be possible to have little notification box pop up when the search recycles to the beginning of the file, a la TextMate? When I’m working on dense manuscripts and looking at all instances of X (especially if they’re not mine originally, cos of editing or collaborating), I find it hard to notice when the scene jumps back to the beginning.

Most of all, though, as always, thanks so much for all the work you do making CSIDE a fabulous tool for us to use. I really appreciate it; I couldn’t even begin to count the hours and headaches CSIDE’s saved me.

3 Likes

I’m really glad you like it! I’m sorry about the lack of session persistence. That’s proving to be an incredibly frustrating issue to solve properly.

I like this, but I’d have to think about how it’ll incorporate with editor and app colour schemes. It’s a bit too specific to start adding to the themeing template (I have to draw a line somewhere), and I think it’ll be hard to get a universal red. I could provide a theme option for styling collapsed sections (you could give them a coloured background or something), but then I want to be careful about not expecting people to use custom themes. Default themes shouldn’t be left out… But they should also be quite… Default. It’s difficult!

Who are these heathens!? Name and shame them!
:laughing: But yes… That won’t be a problem, it’ll just itch away at my soul :cry:

Yes… I could extend the options, but I’d still want some sort of limit on it. I won’t be providing visual support for wingdings I’m afraid.

There’s a lot I want to do with the find functionality, including a ‘all files in project’ search. I like all these suggestions, but I think I’d like to lump all these under one long-term milestone. There is also meant to be matched highlighting in the scrollbar, but that’s buggy and disabled at present. So yes to all of those, but perhaps not something we’ll see tomorrow.

Another opportunity for me to say hello to any lurking coders out there who would like to get involved in CSIDE’s development! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: There’s plenty of work to go around!

Thank you for the kind words and feedback. It wouldn’t be worth doing (and it wouldn’t be half what it is) without its users.

1 Like

I’m buried in it. It’s fun and easy to use. I’ve made my project more complex coding wise than I originally intended because the scripting is so easy. So not only is it saving me work but the end result is going to be far superior as a result of it.

For example I’m currently exploring a more complex matrix of end states. Namely using simple recursive logic operations between three state tracking variables to model things like love triangles or three goals/relationships which have a dynamic and non linear relationship with each other. I wouldn’t even be considering such a thing if I was writing this in Notepad for the first time.

5 Likes

A pronoun highlighter would be a wonderful feature. (Can’t imagine how I would be so close to finishing my entry without this amazing program. Thank you!)

2 Likes

@Jacic If you’re using CSIDE (or if you want to use CSIDE specifically for this), it can automatically convert an image for you. The instructions are in the helps section, specifically:

instructions

(Also, I absolutely second @Charles_Parkes suggestion about a pronoun highlighter…especially if it had a feature for manually adding in neopronouns like ze/zem, ve/vir, and so forth.)

4 Likes

@Fiogan Ok you’ve convinced me! CSIDE does all sorts of fantastic things :smile: (Wanders off to learn how to use it better.)

3 Likes

@Charles_Parkes , @Fiogan how would you both envision pronoun highlighting? Would it be a permanent part of syntax highlighting that is always on? Maybe a setting? A special type of search functionality?

2 Likes

Maybe a setting, and an optional part of syntax highlighting? That would work very nicely for me, for both writing and editing. Randomtest’s pronoun highlighter is so useful—I would have envisioned something that behaves a bit similarly, only in the editor window rather than in a fulltext output.

I would definitely prefer it not to be permanently on, though.

1 Like

I agree. A selectable option would be more useful :grin:

1 Like

@CJW - Is there a way you can make it a review function as a switch on/off feature that would work as Grammarly does for firefox?

When switched “on” this would highlight or underline the grammar and make suggestions once you mouse over the grammar in question?

The ultimate would be to have a built in Grammarly plug-in within CSIDE that you can turn on for edditing and off for composing.

Do I need @Fiogan to translate for me?

2 Likes

Just wondering, does the image conversion work for anyone else? I tried using CSIDE and had the same effect of the never ending load screen when I try to run the game. The image isn’t large (only 100kb). Is it a problem on my end, or does choicescript not support this any more?

1 Like

I’ll give it a go in just a moment…last time I tried, it did work, but maybe that’s changed.

Thanks @Fiogan! That’d be great :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It’s working for me:

thistle-flavoured spies

You’re using a *gosub_scene, aye? Any chance you’ve created a loop, somehow? Usually that’s what I’ve managed when I find ChoiceScript’s loading for ages….

2 Likes