[CSIDE] The ChoiceScript IDE (v1.3.3 Now Available — 05/09/2022)

CSIDE supports options for changing the UI colour, and even syntax highlighting (as of the latest update).

If you’re wishing to style the game window itself, you’ll need to do that outside of CSIDE at present (as it’s not officially supported).

Ah, thanks. I didn’t know it was more of an optional thing.

Been meaning to try this once I had a fresh project going again, so today I opened up everything I’ve written of XoR2 so far in CSIDE and played around for a while.

I love it, and I haven’t even started playing with the Console yet. Amazing work–thanks so much to CJW and the beta team! It’ll definitely be my testing tool for all future games.

But the one thing I can do in Notepad++ that might keep me using it as my code editor is defining my own hotkeys. I’ve got macros that make it quick and easy to insert oft-used snippets of code (e.g. *if aristo, *if helot, {simon}, {addressu}), which reduces the tedium of coding considerably.

I guess CSIDE’s auto complete function may give me some of this, and I’ll try it to see how much time it saves me. As a non-programmer, I’ve got no idea of the answer to this: how crazy difficult would it be to give CSIDE users the ability to set macros as I’ve been doing in N++?

4 Likes

Hey @Havenstone, thank you very much for the kind words. I’m thrilled to hear you’ve had a good first impression of CSIDE.

In regards to custom hotkeys, that would most definitely be be a lovely feature to have. I think, like quite a lot of recent feature requests, the real problem for this would be how to implement the UI, not so much the logic. In theory, storing some extra data (the hotkeys) alongside the setting values etc. should be relatively trivial. However, providing a decent user interface for you to be able to set/define and edit them would almost certainly not be.

What I had hoped to do in the future is make the tab pane modular, so you can actually close and open certain tabs, that provide extra modules of functionality. You can already persistently re-order them, I just need to write the code to handle loading/closing the tabs/modules (and then write them themselves). Custom hotkeys sounds like it would fit very nicely into this, so I’ll add a feature-request to the Github page and do some research on Notepad++'s system. Watch this space! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve been using CSIDE for less than two weeks now and I’m kicking myself for not starting sooner. It’s brilliant and a pure joy to use. Not only is it labor saving it makes the whole process fun. I can’t praise you enough. Thank you. Thank you.

Did I say thanks? Thanks again.

Sincerely,

Jose

3 Likes

Glad to hear you like it @Jose_Garcia. Please don’t hesitate to share comments on any specific likes/dislikes you may have. Happy scripting :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am new to Choice Script and am using CSIDE, an I was trying to add a gif into a scene after hearing that you could put gifs into CSIDE. However, there was only an option to import an image, so I tried using the gif file in that, but when I ran the game it only showed the first frame of the gif.
Is it possible to have a gif in a game in CSIDE, and if so how?

Hi @Snow_Owl

This is technically bug, but it’s not one I’m likely to “fix” just yet. GIFs are very large (due to having multiple frames), and importing a gif may not prove very optimal for performance. I’d have to do some research into this to be sure, but right now generated image scene files are already pretty huge even with just static images, so any animated gifs are transformed into static ones. If you want an animated .gif you can still reference one the normal way, i.e. by including the image in the project folder and using the *image command. The only downside is that you’ll have to ship this image with any compiled games (whereas imported images are included in the file).

Yeah, that makes most sense now that I think about it, thank you

1 Like

The find command is not working when I put " marks within the search field.

"Copy that, Captain." is not searchable but Copy that, Captain. is.

Try escaping the speechmarks with backslashes?

Like so:

\“My text\”.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but an (admittedly-brief) search of the forums/wiki didn’t show me anything. What is the “stepping” option in the IDE’s playtest window? Thank you!

Not at all :slight_smile:

It’s actually covered under “Advanced topics” in the in-app help tab. It’s a feature that allows you to “step” through your game, executing one line at a time. This allows you to carefully track the flow of execution and see exactly what is happening with the code at a pace that suits you.

1 Like

I don’t understand what you are saying here. sorry,

Actually, I just checked this. It does work, but what you’ve pasted there are “smart” quotes. Are you writing in Word and just copying to CSIDE for testing purposes?

No, but I do sometimes take directly from feedback posts here … but even if I type the words in manually it still is not taking it. (when I do take copy from posts I always chose paste as normal text)

We can take this to PM if you want. If it should work but isn’t for me specifically, then it must be something I did to to stop it working or something I pressed on accident to remove that capability. Others who don’t have user errors don’t need to be spammed by me.

1 Like

I have been having an issue this morning where all of the work I have done on chapter five, four thousand words, have all been replaced with red dots. Strangely, the dots won’t copy/paste, and only take up one line of the coding even though it scrolls down as far as it did previously. If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate it.

Can you post an image?

If you’re working in CSIDE, can you do Ctrl-U to undo whatever caused it?

Ctrl + u doesn’t seem to have any effect, and I had only just opened the program, in any case. It looks like this: