Controversial subject matter

Does anybody here want to play another “Heroes Rise”?

Quite looking forward to it, actually. But I recognize I’m in the minority (on the forums) who thought its strengths outweighed its flaws. :slight_smile:

Nothing to add on the actual topic, except to say: thanks, everyone, for your civility so far in the area which has (stereotypically) the highest potential to escalate into a righteous flame war.

@ADNox I would watch “shinder’s list” and “swing kids” those two films really show the reality of the German people and young Nazi soldiers. There were many Nazis who turned on the party, many were fearful of death, many were brainwashed ( Hitler had a division the youth party were he taught kids early about the movement. To the point of brainwashing), and of course there were some who are just Evil and supported it 100%. The people of Germany the civilians saw Hitler as a savior of Germany at first because he did get them out of economic difficulty. It wasn’t until later when they started war that the German people thought they were evil. A woman wrote, “I am in hell.” The German people were mentally exasted, strangely the people threw parties to escape the harsh reality of it. Honestly many German civilians didn’t know that Jews were being killed in gas chambers but they expected nothing less from the corrupted Government after seeing it. Must keep in mind that back in the 30s and 40s it was a different way of life from today. People didn’t fight and uprise they were more easily controlled specially by a force as strong as the Government. If the Jews uprised they probably would have won, in most camps Jews outnumbered the Germans, I believe they talk about this is Shinder’s list. “Hope this helps”

@Ada

Welcome, and I hope you enjoy the ride it looks like we are all in for. I think there are a lot of history nerds around, so if you have any questions do not hesitate to ask.

Also, as an American, I hate to disagree but while the exact location for the birth of liberty is disputed, it probably wasn’t the US. If anything me and my fellow Americans were probably something of a latecoming group to the party, and I’d argue that the “real” birthplace of liberty is classical Athens, with England, Scandinavia, or the Dutch Republic being where it was rediscovered. Of course, that is just my personal opinion based on research, and given how tricky tracing things like feudal rights and individual liberties can be you’ll likely have just as many opinions as there are scholars.

Yeah, nitpicking, but sorry… can’t help myself :D. But make yerself at home.

@ADNox. Understandable. You think there would be any humor that would translate well?

@Havenstone That was sort of my point as well. Even though it was designed for a certain point… it really wasn’t the best. I’m willing to give him another chance, but there had better be improvement. That said, I appreciate it.

@Turtler - with the exception of dragons during the Napolenic wars, I’m not a fan of revisionist historical fantasy, so you’re doomed by cannon, to fail the end-goal of stopping the Nazi regime, but I don’t see that as a loss.

The point is more cause-and-effect; how your action or inaction assisted with the atrocities, before you knew what was going on, how your sacrifice could achieve a small victory, or how your self-service or service to family could cause others to suffer for your windfall.

I want an unclear or gray chain of cause, if possible; it’d be truer to a German citizen who in the same position had to find a balance between support and opposition. An open hero will be crushed, fast, by the state, but you can still try to manipulate events for some small good; your well-intentioned manipulations may lead to more evil. The higher you rise, the darker the secrets you’re exposed to, the more opportunities you have to make a small change, at greater self-risk.

If humor can translate, I can’t do it; my German’s atrocious.

@Cataphrak
Actually, the partisan path may be doable when this is done by event summary instead of event by event, so 35 could be the conscipt or resist point.

@Ada

Thanks for the offer. That said, it’ll be months before I do anything. I have another game to finish first, mostly to experiment with Choicescript.

@ADNox

Not just doomed by canon but doomed by cannon? Well, that is damning indeed…

But thank you for the clarification, and it does indeed amke sense.

Typo; maybe doomed by rifles, though.

@ADNox Naturally, though I couldn’t resist.

Anyway, while your German is atrocious, perhaps you could still look elsewhere? Maybe others like Ada could help?

Also, question: while the attempt is Doomed by Canon, is it foreordained that the protagonist will die in the course of the story, or is it possible to survive?

Might be interesting to include epilogues of what happens to you if you survive the war. The more you engaged in atrocities the more likely you get brought up on war crime charges and possibly executed.

Unless you escape to South America or something.

Just a random and completely clueless idea but
what if you weren’t (The player) told that this was a WWll setting and in the end you get a complete shock about it, it will let the player decide on their views without previous knowledge. Just a random idea.

@ADNox look up the “game” called Train. I’m sure you can google it.

@jasonstevanhill

Sorry, but you are a bit late to the party. Somebody already linked an overview of it.

@Turtler

No, though most paths would end in death.

@Endmaster
I try to flesh out every fail/death/end path. It’s a lot slower, but with more unique branches than variable-play in a mostly linear story.

@jasonstevanhill

I read it, and have played it; my intent isn’t for the blood on your hands to be secret until the end; you’ll know what you’re doing and balance it against your survival and small victories.