This is a premade “system” for choicescript games, that gives developers a starting point for basic container/inventory functionality. I actually made the core of it a while back, but stopped working on it when I realized how much of my own game devving time it was taking. Today I sat down, saw it in my dropbox folder and decided to cut ‘the fat’ (unfinished features) and release it as is. Lest it go to complete waste.
Why make this?
Systems like this can take a long time to make in choicescript and can be a real hole in the head for newcomers in-particular. I tried to write this so that - almost - anybody could add an inventory/container like system to their games without too much hassle, as it’s a one of the more popular desires/requests we’ve seen and will probably continue to see.
Same as always: Credit is very much appreciated, but not strictly necessary.
Feel free to modify/share and use this code to your heart’s content.
- I WILL try and fix any bugs with the current upload, assuming any are found.
- I WON’T fix bugs related to your OWN additions or modifications to the system.
- I don’t currently plan on implementing any more features. This already took up way too much of my time.
If you have any questions, just ask them. Whilst the above holds true, it’s not set in stone.
If you have a really simple problem and I know the answer, I’ll always help as best I can. I just don’t want to be spending hours and hours fixing problems other people created (who would?).
Remember: The best way to learn is from amending your own mistakes.
- You can activate/deactivate items and containers at any time.
- You can change the name/size/location(item only) of an item/container at any time.
- The system is wrote ENTIRELY in choicescript (with defining mygame.js variables), there's no "hacking" or raw j/s use.
- You only need copy and edit the item/container variable definitions in mygame.js, add a single #choice definition in startup.txt and update the total number of items/containers variable.
- The majority of the on-screen information text is configurable via variables in mygame.js
- It supports an unlimited\* amount of items/containers.
- The downloadable scene file code is about 400 lines long.
- You can change a specific item/container details during your game via variable setting, or call custom label routines to change a number of items/containers at once.
- The system is NOT designed for multiple instance items, they need to be unique. They also need to be defined in mygame.js. You can't create new items/containers during the game.
Tutorial, Demo and Download Link
Basic Tutorial/Guide (Read. It.): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7840892/CJW/choicescript/code/inventory-system/tutorial.html
Choicescript Code: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7840892/CJW/choicescript/code/inventory-system/scenes/startup.txt
If nothing else I hope maybe this will inspire people to be a bit more ambitious with their choicescript coding!