Constellations (WIP Title) (Chapter One) Major Update 3/14/18

When you have to run 30 checks for a person to get a chicken launcher it is worth it. It’s a secret gun.

3 Likes

Interest has been piqued.

my last tip of the day don’t try to make a serious game when you have a zany personality. You only get a ghoul rave dance offs and chicken launchers. Anyways can’t wait to see the demo.

4 Likes

Just out of interest, are all the ROs bi? If not, I would suggest that they should be. And if so:

Maybe he could hit on guys as well? “Straight-except-for-the-MC” is a far too common sexuality in games, and while it’s perfectly realistic to have a preference, this one should probably be avoided.

However big you want. :smile: Remember, you’re the one who has to write it.

I generally prefer human (or at least mostly human) ROs, but if other people want them (and you don’t mind writing them) I see no reason not to include them.

Presumably there’d be at least one sports club, a music club, and a geeky (e.g. science, games, etc) club. :thinking: Really, I don’t mind about the specifics.

Let your imagination run wild. :smile: Also, how much interaction is there between magic and technology? Do people use magical energy to run technological machines, or machines to generate magic?

I often find it’s okay to force the MC to do things as long as you let them decide why they’re doing it. Obviously, you can’t write a separate story for every single choice, so you won’t be splitting off except at very specific (often late on) points.

Anyway, good luck with the game. :smile:

3 Likes

So i can be a dictator well that sounds like fun sign me up.

Just be careful it’s not like, “you’re a liar so the truth is greyed out, you can’t tell the truth.”
Instead let them choose the truth but as they lie through the way decrease their reliability(a presumably hidden stat) and make it effect the reaction.
Otherwise it will just discourage to not be able to do something because you didn’t do it before. These kind of things shouldn’t be a stat-check, unlike tournaments/exams etc.

As a lover of boolean values, i must accept that. Keeping track of them is hard so doing the plot branching by numeric variables such as relationship and keeping track of little details with boolean is wiser. For example;

*label_preparation

“I must inform you we have a little time before the trip, would you like to spend time with me? Maybe we can take a walk through the woods, this might be the last time seeing each other...” blurts out Luna with intent eyes.

*choice 
    #You should probably take a shower before you leave. Politely decline and head to the lake.
        *temp hygiene true
        *goto trip
    #Go with him. You might need this time to say a proper goodbye.
        *temp hygiene false
        *goto trip

*label_trip

You head out to the field where you meet with the rest of the group.
*if (hygiene = false)
    “Eww, look at that girls greasy hair..” you hear someone whispering to their friend. You just go through the back lines of the group and stay there.
    *set sociable %-5 
    *goto destination

*else
    “Oh my god, look at that girls hair, it’s so beautiful...” you hear someone whispering to their friend. You walk to the front lines of the group, full of self-confidence.
    *set sociable %+5 
    *goto destination 

Now given the little detaily trick with temp, let’s look at more complicated details

*comment Assume we set five boolean variables. While setting, we set +10 to the relationship as well. 

You look at his eyes and wait for a reaction.
*if ((kissed) and (hugged)) and ((went_to_party and took_a_walk)) and (liked_each_other) 
    “YES! Yes i will marry you!” He blurts out after a long, eternal wait.
    *goto marriage 
*else
    He just looks at you, surprised and doesn’t know what to do. You get the hint, turn and walk away...
    *goto failure

*comment We assumed we have set +5 to relationship everytime we set a boolean so 5*10=50. We can code that like this.

*label destination
You look at his eyes and wait for a reaction.
*if (rel_Noah > 45) 
    “YES! Yes i will marry you!” He blurts out after a long eternal wait.
    *goto marriage 
*else
    He just looks at you, surprised and doesn’t know what to do. You get the hint, turn and walk away...
    *goto failure

Also with boolean values you need to write for every possibility so it makes it 25 different if’s. Hope this helps clearing out things :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I see! Well, yes, they are all pretty much bi. I think he does hit on guys, just not as common. Though, I’ll make that clear.

Thanks! I just thought maybe you have advisory against TOO big for a beginner.

Yeah, me too. People are telling me that if I don’t make it weird, it won’t be weird, so I’ll see about that.

I guess it happens either way. If they want to generate magic to do X, that’s what they do. If they need machine to do Y, they’d use magic for that. Unless they make a magic generator of a machine to help machines who need magic run… -mind overdrive-

Will have to dwell on that.

Yeah, you’re right. Thanks!

Heh. Dictator.

2 Likes

You’re right! I was thinking of that and I was wondering how to deal with that. You’re amazing.

That’s wonderful, you’re wonderful. I’m glad you’re helping me on this. Thanks!

2 Likes

So what kind of careers can we get to choose.

Well, it would certainly be easier to start small, but really, you should write what you want to want to write as long as it has cute gay or bi guys in.

1 Like

All of them specifically? Still unsure, unless you have an idea. Though the obvious will be the obvious. Let’s say, the Z-Task Force. If you want to be in some sort of law enforcement branch, then this might be the way to go, since it deals with the retainment of events including magic. Well, you can have a totally different career than being centered around magic, but you have an extra asset.

Just winging it, but I’m still mostly thinking about how that’s going to go. Feel free to give me suggestions, though.

I gotcha ∠( ᐛ 」∠)_

1 Like

Well a military career could be one or maybe become a criminal or my favorite one become a dictator lol

A criminal career, I think, is definitely one, but just don’t say it out loud or explicitly. Some people are not gonna be happy XDD.

How to be a criminal in a magic world. Do necromancy, and take over the world with your undead army. Or you know summon Cthulhu, and have him take you beyond the universe. That would actually be a pretty fitting end for a game where you want to go beyond the stars as an evil ending

4 Likes

What I always seek in any COG is
•a plot that appeals to me
and
•a well-written romance with viable options (A sucker for that - probably always will be.)

So far you’ve already got the first one down; I really hope that you pay enough attention to the romance aspect, heh :heart_decoration:

Beginner or not, always work at your inspiration’s pace. Really just don’t bite off more than you chew - only go as big as you think you’re prepared to follow through with!

I’m uncomfortable with that too. If it was up to me, no go.

High-five! Same here, I can never not play a hero / morally-driven character. :pray:

sorry, not really a helpful comment

I like the Student Council! A social club would be nice. A random-interest group would be fun too, like the Hide-and-Seek Club of the Universe (idk if that would fit in your story, just a random thought :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: )

The more customization, the better (physically and personality-wise). I’m not sure exactly what I would want my MC to be, but I know that I will most likely play one that ,like I said above, is morally-driven and heroic. I also anticipate to play a really good social game with the NPCs.

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback! So glad you did it at around this time since I got limited for posting. :broken_heart: though I honestly don’t blame anyone for that

Yeah, I know that it seems like the times to be pretty focused on relationships. Of course, I shall work for that will and also for my personal agenda because I also agree with everyone on that.

Yep, biting off more than I can chew is a recurring theme with projects I take on. I get a little ambitious, then give up. I’m trying not to do that this time.

Pfft, a hide and seek club… especially on a broader scale…

Anyway, thanks for answering the questions for me! The responses are always so refreshing and nice to hear… makes me very happy. All in all, thanks again!

1 Like

if that isn’t me, i don’t know what is

You’re welcome! I’ll be on the lookout for a demo! :heart:

by the way, I added an answer to another question in my last reply :smiley:

1 Like
  • What do you expect, or want, to happen in the story?

I want to overthrow the entire school in a psuedo-scientific military coup and take on other nations with my newly-acquired army.

• For a beginner, how big do you think I should take the project to?

As big as you want! The stars are - literally - the limit! In reality, though, make it as big as you feel able to handle. It may not need to be such a huge story.

• I’m trying to add characters which avert from the norm. What kind of characters are you looking forward to, or who are you interested in, in the main cast?

I’m interested in the zodiacs at the moment. I can’t wait to see how you represent them!

• I’m unsure if I should add inter-species romance options. I feel weird doing it. How do you feel about that?

Do it. I want to be an intergalactic hoe and date everyone at the same time.

• I’m the type of person who won’t ever make villainous choices when I play games, but I know that most people (and possibly you) might want to become a villain-protagonist. How do you think I should go about it? In general, not anything specific.

If you want to offer the chance to be a dictator, let me make dictator choices. I wanna start my rebellion by Chapter 2, at least.

• What clubs might you be interested in (including the student council)?

I wanna see an cosmic drama club. Space theatre ftw!

• For the magical aspects of the game, what do you suggest I add? For the technology aspects of the game, what do you suggest I add?

I’m gonna answer these together. You should focus on pseudo-science and build the world around the various kinds, since you already have zodiac featured prominently. It would be very interesting to see how a society would run on widely-believed falsehoods and no actual scientific data or research.

• Story or event wise, what do you suggest I add?

I’m not the person to ask, since I really just wanna overthrow everything and become a space dictator.

• I’m coming at odds with how I can make the MC have a personality, while letting you mold it too. What type of character would you like be in the story, and how much freedom do you want to customize yourself?

I want to be able to play as a petty, snarky gay man that overthrows the entire school by manipulating people to his whim. Take that as you will.

3 Likes

I usually play a heroic and moral character when I play games, but darn if I’m also kinda tempted to do something around those lines.

Pffft… Literally stars…

I’m a “hmm…” with polyamory, but I’m willing to allow that for those who like those. Can’t say I’m not sometimes tempted. Coughs.

Rebellion by chapter two sounds… I have no words for it. Already planning a mass rebellion (in that case, Choice of Uprising FTW). You plan ahead, mate.

I like your style.

Mashing more psuedo science? I’m totally on-board! First thing that pops into my mind is Hedgehog Day, though, pfft.

I shall uphold your wishes to the best of my performance, my good sir. Very good sir…

Thanks for answering the questions, I’m glad you took the time to (I’m surprised people do at all)! Definitely got some extra ideas from it and a new perspective. Thanks again!

2 Likes

Very interesting, my interest is peaked.

• What do you expect, or want, to happen in the story?

I could go with something vague and ask you to surprise us. It is your story to tell…but frak that. I want space whales, I want wars in the stars, I want operas that operate in outer space, I want a student council that doesn’t take no for an answer. (But really, surprise us)

• For a beginner, how big do you think I should take the project to?

As big as you can comfortably contain the plot and characters in, at least at first. Once you get enough experience, expand the project as you see fit.

• I’m trying to add characters which avert from the norm. What kind of characters are you looking forward to, or who are you interested in, in the main cast?

Hoping for more people on the chaotic side of the alignment scale. As for the current main cast, the shorty who sounds like Youjo Senki in space sounds super fun.

• I’m unsure if I should add inter-species romance options. I feel weird doing it. How do you feel about that?

Well, not all romance has to get physical/sexual. If there was one between an anthropomorphic personification of a Zodiac sign and a human in the story, I wouldn’t mind. It all depends on how you approach the romance, and how comfortable you are with the aspects of that relationship.

• I’m the type of person who won’t ever make villainous choices when I play games, but I know that most people (and possibly you) might want to become a villain-protagonist. How do you think I should go about it? In general, not anything specific.

I say present the player with the choice to do so, every time the plot allows it. Maybe aid the villains of the story or take their roles for ourselves.

• What clubs might you be interested in (including the student council)?

The space opera club, a fight(ing) club, and of course the astronomy club.

• For the magical aspects of the game, what do you suggest I add?

Magic creatures/experiments born from stellar magic. Maybe some summoning spells?

Tangent, would other characters from other parts of space not have different zodiacs? Would these alien zodiacs exist in the story?

• For the technology aspects of the game, what do you suggest I add?

Faster than light magitek, and an explorer/scientist course that specializes in mixing science and magic in equal parts.

• Story or event wise, what do you suggest I add?

A side story about the war in Voljensky, where we can help one side or the other, stop the war with peace, or escalate it to new heights.

I guess scenes where we get to know the ROs better. Dates among the stars?

• I’m coming at odds with how I can make the MC have a personality, while letting you mold it too. What type of character would you like be in the story, and how much freedom do you want to customize yourself?

A Chaotic Neutral build, doing stuff that provides more conflict and not caring about what happens next.

Being able to customize our appearance is always nice, even if it’s just a cosmetic choice. In terms of personality, a combination of stats and the dialogue choices we make that interact to let us choose unique decisions would be cool (but maybe a bit more difficult).

2 Likes