COMING THURSDAY: "Cannonfire Concerto" - New Author Interview & TRAILER

we opinate the same that’s why I role play. However opposite stats are no the way to handle it because divide all in black or white is or a or b.
Coding wise nomal stats allow made choices who let mixed various stats like if a +b +c is true in opposite you can’t be a +b you have to be opposites. live is not about opposites. You could still doing if you raise a you decrease b with normal stats . The reason to use opposite in Cog is code wise to make code shorter and simple with less variables. Not to help story mechanisms

1 Like

Yes CoG keep giving me more to live off of, keep me alive until Versus:The Elite Trials! :blush:

Bit disappointed it’s no longer called Virtuoso, but I am very excited to play it! Been anticipating it since the Beta synopsis was released!!!

My biggest problem with opposing stats is that most of the time it doesn’t even make sense to use them. Personality traits (like bold vs shy), fine, I can understand those, but your skills? Why does being good at X make me automatically worse at Y? It’s just lazy, like the author doesn’t want to bother coming up with a proper stats system.

4 Likes

One of the most logical consequences of a known liar actually being truthful to someone who knows they are an habitual liar is not being believed (without lot of corroborating evidence). As for strengths being weaknesses and vice-versa, well my hypothetical lying, cheating mc could use telling the truth to his advantage too, particularly if he isn’t believed by say his enemies who’ve captured him, or better yet they might do the actual opposite.

In any case an opposed lying, versus truthfulness stat doesn’t add anything role-playing wise, unless our mc is super-famous or something most average joe’s on the streets won’t know about his penchant to lie and the author can easily know by tracking our choices without an opposed stat for the people who should know who and what our character is, even if it is just say a snarky fourth wall breaking “narrator”.
Again an opposed stat adds nothing and if anything penalizes you for making unorthodox choices.
If there is anything that forces you to stick to a single play-style for the mc it is frequent stat-checks running on opposed stats.

3 Likes

I’m super excited for this. I love the witty tone so far - I love playing a frivolous sort of character. Looking forward to my PC causing lots of chaos!

Hey, I remember beta testing this! Of course, back then it wasn’t called Cannonfire Concerto.

Man, this just isn’t my stuff. It’s got a bunch of maths, has very vague, confusing stat-checks and leaves quite a few threads loose. There’s a fair amount of replay value if you enjoy the setting, however, but they’re mostly minor scenes as opposed to entire unique routes.

On the plus side, it’s funny, witty, snippy and the characters are pretty interesting. There’s lot of choice, too. But no, not my thing personally.

2 Likes

I have already sent some bugs to the support mail. But this I am not sure if is a bug My character get stuck after first change in 55% health all game. Did someone notice it?

Is there a reason the game isn’t up on the site yet? It’s in the App Store…

I was hoping to play the demo before I bought it :weary:

Can you forward those emails to me?

Yeah, no problem. (20 characters)

Having played the demo, I can say this is lovely so far. Fun choices, and the writing is great. I will certainly be buying it. Congratulations, Caleb!

I’m looking forward to seeing what becomes of my flamboyant, scheming zither-er.

There has been a patch adding aromance.

3 Likes

After starting my own game I’ve realized it’s less lazy and more both are a pain and piece of work. The coding for me is borderline torture, and I can’t speak for them, but not many people find it fun. Opposing pairs take the same amount of effort as single stat bars, and in my opinion, even more, based on the range of options it gives, which means extra coding and writing. Just a thought though, you’re entitled to your own opinion.

Aside from my other comment I also found an error whenYou go to the Counts manor, and choose to pursue a romance by first going to the bedroom, then kissing him and having the little romance scene, it refers to him as she instead. I feel like it might be a spill over from the Countesses line,(happens all the time to me) if I replay it soon I’ll be sure to get the if this isn’t enough.

1 Like

Out of curiosity, do you have any prior experience with coding at all? The language is extremely simple compared with what I’m used to, infact I’d hesitate to even call it coding at all. I’d say it’s more comparable to a scripting language. When I said it was lazy, I wasn’t talking about the technical difficulty of coding it, but just the logistics of coming up with a complex stat system. With opposing stats, you don’t have to account for things like stat inflation, and it’s just easier to write choices for a game where the stat system made up of polar opposites, hence the author can get away with a poorly thought out and lazily made game.