Colonising Kepler 62e (WIP)

@DSeg, I have updated the character set up and it shouldn’t interfere with the story mode any more.

Through talking to Samuel, we will remove the character set up for the final game. It serves a purpose in the demo, as we haven’t created a seamless link between the sections as yet.

I am from Scotland.

And we aren’t independent yet, and while the question of whether we want to be so is before us it hasn’t been decided. Most Scottish people (such as myself) use Scottish and British both interchangeably.
The United Kingdom isn’t dead quite yet dude.

Like I said I only brought it up because it avoids the whole nationhood mess. Going down the nation route means taking into account nations like Catalonia, Quebec, the aboriginal groups in varying countries, individual states in the USA, disparate indigenous peoples, and so on.
But if you feel up to tackling all that so its modelled sensibly and in a way that wont upset people, more power to you.

Both Scottish and British are already as options included in the game, alongside many other choices. You can even create your own nation, if you are not satisfied with those already included.

@andymwhy How far past the meteor hitting are we going to be able to play? Are we going all the way to Kepler 62e?

@Fantom, Yes :slight_smile:

@andymwhy Cool, lol. Love it so far.

Glad to hear that. If you have any recommendations for what to include, please let us know. The plan is detailed, but there’s always room for more.

@andymwhy I’d like to see more story and character interaction during the years leading up to the meteor. There’s 25 years, after all, plenty of time to form relationships. You might also address the political side a bit, especially around year eight when the current presidents time in office is up (if you’re playing the USA, anyway).

@Fantom, good suggestions. There will be a change of office, regardless of your nation and more in-depth relationships are planned.

What political events and topics would you like to see covered?

Since we Scots might have independence by the end of the year, best not to lump us in with the English least you need to change things. We just feel slighted not getting onto the main menu as one of the first choices! :stuck_out_tongue:

Your menu should be

#Scotland!
#SCOTLAND!!!
#PICK SCOTLAND!!! (It is the best!)
#Are you sure you don’t want to be Scottish?
#Please pick Scottish.
#Wales
#Ireland
#England
#USA
#Canada
#Australia

Okay yeah the list’s getting a bit long. I suppose you could break it down by continent first. Or, you could just make a randomised list to stop us Scots from moaning. :slight_smile:

I am surprised by the lack of Russia on the main menu, since I would have thought that any space game would have included them.

Russia are in there, as well as India, Korea, Japan, Mexico… well, a whole host of nations.

I simply chose the most likely nationalities for players, +China (for plot reasons) and Spain (for MaraJade). You’re right though, Russia should be there too.

It should be noted that the make up of the character creation process will change and be a seamless part of the storymode.

It should also be noted that this game is based from the year 2090 (there’s a chance this could change to 2190) so the world is likely to have changed a little during those years.

Andy not worry I almost always create a nation called Poison =)) True fact… also Poison has a monarchy :slight_smile:

@fantom
I’m glad you enjoyed it!

I like it. This game reminds me of all those 4X games I pour countless hours into, only it’s showing the bit before all of the ‘Hyperdrive’ or ‘Warp Drive’ crap turns up. Also, I just had a run-through Earth 2090 as Australia. Outside of Canberra?! That’s where you put it?! No-one does anything there! For starters it’s close to where all the politicians are. Not to mention that the entire surrounds of Canberra are a bushfire risk zone. It tends to burn down every summer. I feel like there should be some way of customising where your super-secret spaceship complex is. For instance, Australia would likely put it inside Woomera Testing Range. Nothing like 127,000+ square kilometres of nothing to hide something in.

I am aware that this was probably done for text modularity, being able to substitute names in without changing the content of the text too much, but it would still be nice to have.

And another thing. Continuing in a similar vein as @fitscotgaymer, when he was talking about the UK being a supranational entity, will we be seeing anything in the way of political change in 2090? Beyond player choice I mean. Par example, you could maybe see the breakdown of the Russian Federation or the forming of some super nations like, say, the North American Union or this Commonwealth Union thing that UKIP are talking about. Only know about that because I just read it but that doesn’t make it any less of a valid point. At least to my mind.

@FairyGodfeather It seems like you’re getting a bit desperate at the end there. Almost like “Pick Scotland, we’re better than all those other bigger, better funded nations. We have bagpipes!”. Not that Scotland is lacking in any way. You’re just one of the little guys. Good luck with the independence thing.

@Perfect_Storm, I’m glad you like it. You’re partly right, Canberra was chosen as it’s the capital city - the same for every nation. I’ve been to Canberra (my aunt lived (and worked) there) and it is an empty place, yet I felt being an hour from the capital was important for communications. Besides, the spaceship isn’t being built at your complex…

There will be some changes to other nations, although we haven’t confirmed what yet.

@andymwhy I see. It makes more sense now you say the spaceship is being built somewhere else. Although the comms part doesn’t really make sense with modern communication capabilities, I can accept it as a design consideration.

It will be interesting to see where this goes anyway. I do prefer the premise of the story mode though. It feels more ‘authentic’ to me. By the way, during year 3 of 2090 I had 197Bn for starship construction. I built an 80Bn Cryogenic Module, and then suddenly had 42Bn. Bug?

I do love the idea of some very solid changes to the nations. I’d rather have fewer choices and for those choices to matter, as opposed to lots of choices and for them to not mean so much.

I can see all of Europe sort of merging together into one super-power, especially due to the amount of immigration and the borders being open. Apart from us Scots of course, and our independence. :stuck_out_tongue: Ye Canna Tak Oor Freedom!!! I don’t think the monarchy here will survive another hundred years either.

So Australia’s the land of poison then? Be careful no spiders get on the spaceship.

@Perfect_Storm We have haggis too, and Glaswegians. Actually the best video to show you all the delights of Scotland is here (and NSFW) www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFubsxHTApw

@FairyGodfeather Haven’t watched it yet, but is it Danny Bhoy? No guarantee about the spiders by the way. Sneaky buggers, the lot of them. Along with the hoop snakes and drop bears.

@Perfect_Storm Of course. :stuck_out_tongue:

@Perfect_Storm
I’m glad you enjoyed story mode:) I’ll be updating it weekly.