CoG and Kickstarter

@CastawayCobra
Ninja pirates.

Magical Elven Prussian Samurai Ninja-Pirates.

No joke.

@Cataphrak: I’m sorry, but the people who are funding your project disagree.

There are now catgirls in the Infiniverse. Make sure they play a prominent role.

:stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

@Ramidel
“Target practice” prominent enough for you?

1 Like

@Cataphrak Or stock for a banzai charge.

Well I guess what would be needed from crowd sourcing would be dependent on the expected gross from the game, wouldn’t it? As for free versions, I know it’s impossible for the Google store, but what about the other stores? Are those limited? Are those things that can be shared?

This will all be much easier once we build a webstore. Then we can give away free games through that.

But don’t get your hopes up about that being anytime soon. Like, maybe next summer.

@jasonstevanhill,

Would kickstarter be acceptable if for example…

1. The standard percent of money raised was paid to choicescript
  2. The free copies of the game for backers were distributed via promo codes for iTunes (100 max)
  3. Other rewards dealt with character creation and additional story lines etcetera…
1 Like

i think the idea is not bad, you don’t have to strive to a high budget to make it work, you can try to get the minimum from there for your work, your personal minimum that you would write the game, rest continue selling it through CoG. This way you do not get in to the complicated details of working out what you need to pay to CoG from the kickstarter project.

Or i could be totally wrong

I think the point of kickstarter, or any crowdfunding site, in the case of CoG is so that it can be an extra source of income to the writer.

If the author is just distributing free copies (with the required percentage marked off to CoG), then what’s the entire point of Kickstarter? Unless the readers pay extra for getting the same product which doesn’t make any sort of sense at all.

The usual ‘reward’ for being a contributor is to get something extra, apart from the game. The usual insert name, etc. Or get a special item. Or special scenes. It can be even special early access to the game or something. There’s a lot of stuff to dole out.

And as suggested above, these can redeemed by codes, or another suitable arrangement.

Why is this not possible?

@cilvercat @jcury

I completely agree with it being a good idea, last time this was brought up itunes did not allow promo codes, but now there is no barrier

I like the idea, and it would allow for longer, more detailed hosted games - stretch goals could be introduced for a longer game, more romance options and so on…

only problem is a max of 100 promo codes can be given out - but if the pledge levels were larger for extras such as designing a character then it could cover it - and the average kickstarter pledge was, last time i checked, £20 - people are prepared to pay more for input.

Exactly, as I said doesn’t have to be a full funding for the game just the minimum to keep the author fed and motivated. So if lets say he gets the project up with the target amount being 3000 $ that can be his bonus and the rest of the income can come from sales

@jcury

the main problem would be if CoG decided to take 75% of kickstarter funding… the licensing is unclear. Obviously the money would be for funding the game, but it is not neccessarily subject to those conditions of hosted games. I quote…

…Under the “Hosted Games” label, you’ll retain full IP rights on your game; your work will receive a 25% royalty on the revenue we receive from distributing your game. (This includes money from advertising, in-app purchases, direct sales where applicable, etc.)…

As choice of games aka “we” would not be distributing the game, and the writer would be via promo codes, that would be the key phrase that defines the financial distribution of kickstarter money. - in my interpretation (I am not a lawyer and do not take this advice as fact IT IS AN OPINION FROM A NON_EXPERT!)

@jasonstevenhill clarification would be very much appreciated… on both the financial distribution and what part of it is applicable.

For example if a person paying to create a character in the game paid say $50, not all of that would be the price of the game, but would include the character development, so would that be game distribution?

@ishantrissi so, it depends on several things. If you want to give away copies of a game that we published on your behalf, then yes, we would expect that you give us 75% of the Kickstarter funds. Otherwise, why would we agree to give away copies of the game for you?

However, if you frame it (probably not on Kickstarter, but something like IndigGoGo or GoFundMe) as “living expenses while I make my dream game,” and then the awards are in-game things like easter eggs, character names additions, etc, then no, we wouldn’t take the 75%. Because we’re not giving away copies of the game; we’re not losing anything.

See, giving away copies of the game is depriving us of income. Why would we let you deprive us of income? But if it’s not depriving us of income, then you can do pretty much whatever you want.

Does that make sense?

Alternately, you could do the commercial license route, where you publish the game yourself. That way, you could do the Kickstarter, pay us 25% of what you collect there (for the commercial license), and then—for example—publish the game for free on your own website. I mean, playing the game at that point wouldn’t exactly an “award” for the contributors, since you’d be giving away the game for free once it’s finished…but someone might find that an economical publishing method.

1 Like

@jasonstevenhill

I was referring to the scenario where people pay for creative input such as names, not for a copy of the game itself.

Also the issue I was seeking clarification on is thus…

Suppose £50 was paid for a copy of a game and to name a character (example)

Would the 75% be taken from the total £50 or the, say, £3 cost of the game?

@ishantrissi I have no idea.

@jasonstevenhill

Sorry to bother you then, I was just speculating and realised there was no clear guidance

Do you, by any chance, know who would be able to tell me?

Send an email to support@choiceofgames and when we have a moment to discuss it (which could be months) we’ll get back to you.

Okay, thanks!, email has been sent

Does anyone know if this would be possible:

If a game was guaranteed to be priced at £1.99 and there would be a limitation on the kickstarter so than no more than, say, 100 copies of the game could be sold via it, could there be an agreement that would allow the author of the game to pay CoG the 75% of the value of the sold games: as per CoG terms - this would be £150 approx. They would do this with escrow, so that if the kickstarter succeeds CoG would get the money for the games, and the games author would be able to keep the rest of the funds for the game…