ChoiceScriptDev Wikia

Sabres of Infinity has achievements, and I’m pretty sure @Lucid has them in Life of a Wizard too.

Would either of you be willing to do a small writeup on how to implement them? :slight_smile:

Achievements? You know I read a post on CotV:Memphis that said something about that and I wondered about that…

I’m guessing… < *achievement xxxx > doesn’t work… and I’m also guessing it isn’t anything to do with an < *if xxxx_true… and then you write some blurb > cause that would be too easy?

Dear @Cataphrak can I @CJW +1 and say yes please?!

You may have up to 1000 points in Achievements, but you can’t take them away. For this reason, Apple suggests that you don’t award them all, in case you want to add some later. Life of a Wizard awards 850 points. If an extension ever came (and I don’t think there will be), I’d have another 150 to give away.

The command in Choicescript looks like this:

*achieve dragonslayer Killed the dragon Parnaxxus

The CoG staff do the rest, including the icons, but they need you to fill in the following:

Display Title: Dragon Slayer
Point Value: 100
Short Name: dragonslayer
Hidden: False
Earned Description: Killed the dragon Parnaxxus
Preearned Description: Kill the dragon Parnaxxus
Banner Description: Killed the dragon Parnaxxus

It’s actually pretty easy to do and it’s fun to see it in Game Center… if you have any friends that play these games. :slight_smile: I had achievements in Life of a Wizard before this, but when CoG started using Game Center achievements, I got the call asking if I’d like to add them.

So, for future CoG trivia… Life of a Wizard was the first game to use Game Center achievements. :smiley:

@Lucid Aaaaaahh… *-:slight_smile:

I mistakenly *thought* it was something in the CS code alone (rather than for Game Centre) A bit like when you finish Tin Star and it gives you a list of stuff you’ve done.

Still I agree it looks simple enough to do, and I’m sure it looks fun in Game Centre… (although whatever happened to just finishing the game :-/ )

As a sort of side to the IDE update, and the intention to update the wikia I was toying with the idea of emeddable IDE code. Here’s a rough example:
http://gyazo.com/78d9f21459072e24b4358620bb8a4154.png
http://gyazo.com/09c81fd815f9edd831dbbe638d214f52.png

(Note: I’ve not actually changed the wiki page, I’ve just made it look like I did in the pictures!)

This would hopefully give the readers an opportunity to *see* how the code works in real-time, as well as giving them a chance to edit it and play around a bit. It wouldn’t replace the text code, but I think it could make a good addition to certain pages.

For e.g. at the bottom of the *choice command page it might say “Right, now have a go at making your own choice:” and provide you with a basic (editable) template.

Before I go any further with the idea, does anyone have any strong opinions on this (good or bad)?

I think that’s awesome.

Very nice.

@lordirish
Glad to hear it!

Before we take a closer look do any of you have any comments on the embeds?
Do the aesthetics want changing or do different features and options want including, or do they look good for now?

I tried to make them simple, functional and like the wiki in terms of theme.
I might remove the stats button, as for obvious reasons, that’s not present in the embed (should it be though?).

I am always around :), but phone has crapped out so hope to replace it this weekend. Once I am up and running again will be happy to help.

Hey all, so to follow on from that post earlier this year, I finally got around to actually implementing a quick mockup of the above embeddable editors, which you can see and play around with here:

It’s a first implementation, so it’s not perfect, and I welcome all suggestions and criticisms etc (I know that if you spam click the result button it throws an error, I’m already working on that).

Asides from that, does anyone have any suggestions for pages that might benefit from such embeds, or maybe some tutorial ideas etc?
Also if anyone’s up for writing some of these examples, let me know - it’d be much appreciated - I’ll jot your name down, as I’ll probably need to explain how to stick one of these in a page, as it requires a bit of a workaround :slight_smile:

P.S.
I apologize in advance for my horrible example code!

Oh man, sweet. I’d be more than happy to help writing some example if you need.

@fantom
That would be fantastic, though I could do with a few people really.
My aim is to pretty much tell you how to embed code, give you a few suggestions, make you wikia admins and let you implement what you want, where you want (however you think is best). I’ll be on hand to answer questions and fix bugs, but I don’t have the ideas or time to really implement these myself at present. I’m just too focussed on getting the full page IDE’s next update done.

I know @FairyGodFeather and @lordirish @lordirishdas have both had a hand at code based tutorials before, but they seem to be inactive at the moment.

Should be epic. No pressure :slight_smile:

I could probably do a couple, or at least one. Let me know what kind of things you want in there and I’ll see what I can do.

Are we still posting here for WIP pages added to the wikia? I noticed there’s a WIP section on this forum, so I’m not sure it’s necessary; however, the wikia still lists WIPs, so I wasn’t sure what to do.

Things Are Complicated has been added to the WIP Games Hub.

The ChoiceScriptDev Wikia as a whole is due an overhaul and it’s possible the WIP Games Hub section may not survive the next flurry of activity there. It was an idea worth trying but without the participation of more WIP authors it doesn’t do a very good job of serving its purpose! That said, does anyone have any thoughts on the subject one way or the other?

Seems redundant, since there’s a WIP section of the forum. I feel choosing
one or the other would decrease confusion and division of readers (only one
page to visit, rather than two, would increase views, etc).

Sorry to revive this topic, but I thought it would be better than starting a new one.

The ChoiceScriptDev wikia is very useful, and has helped me out a lot recently. I was wondering though why all the pages are locked to edits. There haven’t been any in a long time as a result… There is some outdated information that just begs for an update, some pages are incomplete and could be improved, there is information buried in forum topics that is conspicuously missing on the wiki, and most pages are a pain to read because they lack proper headings and formatting.

I get that main pages have to be protected from vandalism, but it’s a little extreme for all the pages to be locked, isn’t it? The point of a wiki is for people to contribute knowledge, and I’d be happy to help with that, but I can’t. =(

1 Like

@Sithwist I’m sure that if you ask someone with admin privileges on the wiki they’ll give you access so you can make some changes.

2 Likes