ChoiceScriptDev Wikia

Opening up is something we should really consider. You’re right, that is the point of a wiki and even if it weren’t, the admins simply don’t have the time to keep everything up-to-date.

1 Like

Yes, I really hope you’ll consider opening up.

Vandalism is not that huge of a problem in my experience. I’m the sole admin on another wikia and rarely have to revert any edits despite it being fairly active. When there is the occasional spam, regular contributors often deal with it (either by undoing the change or marking the page for deletion) before I ever get a chance to. It’s a self-policing system.

We just need one admin to glance at the wiki’s recent changes every week or so. (If you guys really don’t have the time and want a regular admin presence on the wiki, I wouldn’t mind helping with that since I already check wikia every other day or so.)

PS: It is possible to prevent anyone that’s not logged in from editing the wiki, but still allow regular logged in editors to make changes.

I’m certainly not as averse to the proposal as I used to be. The original idea was of course to build an admin team of experienced ChoiceScript coders, and to a large extent we achieved that, but other projects and life in general has a habit of taking precedence over sideline stuff like maintaining a Wiki. Over the years, changes and improvements to ChoiceScript have led to parts of the Wiki becoming outdated or even obsolete, and it’s clear that we need to change the way we do things over there.

For starters, I’ve changed the Permissions on all the Commands/Functions pages to allow for editing by any registered Wiki user of reasonable standing (i.e. excluding only new and unregistered users), as well as for the woefully-inadequate Error Messages page. Anyone can also create & add a new page, of course, which an Admin can then review and add an entry for as appropriate.

We’ll see how things go for a while and also look into which other pages among the Articles section could also do with opening up to allow for easier updating.

@Sithwist Thanks for caring enough to raise the issue! If you’d like to join the actual Admin team feel free to drop me a PM with your Wiki username.

2 Likes

Thank you for taking a chance and opening up those pages!

Having experienced coders as admins is invaluable of course, but I think you made the right choice. I can’t tell you how many times I went to the wiki for a solution to some problem I was encountering, didn’t find it, decided to ask on the forum only to discover a topic about it already.

Letting inexperienced coders consolidate the information on the wiki allows the experienced ones to focus on developing ChoiceScript, helping and explaining things to the inexperienced ones, etc., without having to answer the same questions over and over in the forum.

Another thing, there is something to be said about the motivation and excitement of inexperienced coders. Whenever we learn something new, or figure out how to do something that’s been driving us crazy for a while, we have the impulse to share it with the world. I think this impulse could lead to more regular updating on the wiki.

1 Like

After deliberation with @Vendetta, we settled on a new look for the wiki! Some had complained about how dark it looked, so we went with the colors of the Choice of Games website. Some tweaking might still be in order, though. What do you guys think? Like it, hate it? Any suggestions?

Since the changes are new, some of you might need to hard refresh your browser to see the changes properly:

• Chrome - Windows: Hold the Ctrl key and press the F5 key. OS X: Hold both the ⌘ Cmd and ⇧ Shift keys and press the R key.
  • Safari - Hold down the ⇧ Shift key and click the Reload toolbar button.
  • Firefox - Windows: Hold the Ctrl key, and press F5. OS X: Hold the ⌘ Cmd and ⇧ Shift keys, and then press R.
  • Internet Explorer - Hold the Ctrl key, and press F5 (or click the Refresh button).
2 Likes

Hooray! New colour scheme. It is going to take some getting used to for me though. I’ve been so used to the dark,f or all I wasn’t fond of it. I like the bright and

Can you make the orange of the links darker?

2 Likes

Yep, you’re right, the links are too light at the moment. I’ll mess around to try and make them darker without them becoming red - tough balance to strike, but I’ll do my best =)

1 Like

Is that better, or too red now? (needs a hard refresh again)

1 Like

Yep a bit better. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Sithwist (Or anyone else with wiki access) It’s me again!

I’m thinking that the gosub page should also refer directly to gosub_scene. I know gosub came first, gosub_scene after.

3 Likes

I added a line at the top of the gosub page referencing the gosub scene article. Was that what you had in mind?

3 Likes

Yep! That’s perfect! Thanks so much!

2 Likes

I made a WIP page, Comrade or Czar. If you could put it in the WIP area, that would help a lot. Thanks for your time!

Added an entry for *sound. If someone could add that to the index that would be great!

Edit:
Also, due to the addition of the *sound command to play sound or music, it may be a good idea to note the “sound” article from years ago that this new command will be the way to go instead of editing HTML files or using the default HTML audio player, as it doesn’t require hacking around with the engine itself.

The article is locked so I can’t add said note myself.

2 Likes

Added to Index, thanks for the contribution! :slight_smile:

I’ve also added a note (and link to your *sound command page) to the old, now-obsolete Adding Sounds article, and removed it from the Main Index to avoid confusion.

Sad to say, we removed the WIP area from the main listing about five or six months ago. It was worth a try but the idea never really took off.

2 Likes

I just added a page for *redirect_scene (I realised we didn’t have one): Redirect scene | ChoiceScript Wiki | Fandom

Why am I posting here? I’d appreciate a second, third and maybe fourth pair of eyes to let me know if it’s up to snuff. Thanks in advance!

3 Likes